X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hubste5
    replied
    Originally posted by Bavarian View Post
    Parks are a real good place to start. Especially when they let the grass grow for awhile. Of course, State Parks and Federal lands are always good and sometimes you can find a ranger/warden that will tell you where certain plants can be found.
    Thanks for the references!

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian
    replied
    Parks are a real good place to start. Especially when they let the grass grow for awhile. Of course, State Parks and Federal lands are always good and sometimes you can find a ranger/warden that will tell you where certain plants can be found.

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian
    replied
    hubste5:

I'm not an expert at this and when I started I got a couple of books on edible plants and medicinal plants. I usually carry one or more with me to use the photos for ID purposes.

www.eattheweeds.com
    www.wildpantry.com
    www.wildmanstevebrill.com

These are good sites but none lists everything. Google edible weeds, trees, flowers, grass, seeds and plants. All have sources on the internet.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    Bavarian... I've been thinking a lot about this. Any pointers on getting started, just on the identification/preparation side? I'd like to plan a camping trip with a foraging theme, and generally get better at this. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian
    replied
    Went back to my retreat this week end looking for edibles as most everything has leafed out. In addition to plants I posted earlier, I found nutsedge, pawpaws, ground nuts (spring surprise), plantain, blackberries, arrowhead and burdock. Also found some wild grape, six pecan trees, dead red nettle, milkweed, garlic, green briars and chickweed. There are several other plants I know are edible but I can't find the name of them in a book yet. In the creek, I found a huge snapping turtle, minnows, mussels and crawdads.

I planted about 60 daylilies and sunflowers.

I'm trying to get a "wild edible plant farm" going. I want something that I don't have to tend and will attract wildlife as well as provide food nearly year round.

I've been sampling the food as I find it. Some of it deffinitely requires an acquired taste. Pack lots of salt and pepper! Finding this wild food is really interesting and gives a perspective of what our ancestors did to survive.

Leave a comment:

• buddamomma47
    replied
    Originally posted by free2bme View Post
    I was wondering if maybe buying a rather large place like maybe 400 acres and setting up very small hunting cabin type places and having others buy in for their families might be the answer. In the end we would have more people to help defend the place as well as work the fields. In the mean time it would be a great place for everyone to go for a week or two here and there to kick back fish hunt and relax! What do you guys think of the idea? Are we better of by ourselves or with others? Figured it would help max our skill sets as well.
    :) Can I join you,sounds good to me.
    I was wondering where to buy said land also,like Dear Diesel says ,where are the safe places?
    Well if Yellow stone does not blow her cork, then I was thinking yellow stone on up to Glacier National Park, way up in the little towns and out from those.I would Love to find like minded people to live around,sound real good to me.

Leave a comment:

• rancher
    replied
    I know you didn't mean us but I said HI anyway ;-)

Leave a comment:

• waitnc
    replied
    Bavarian,
    Where you at? PM me. You didn't mention the best thing, the natural springs all around. The best water anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• rancher
    replied
    Water is life...

Thus we keep 8,000 gallons stored from two wells. Always available in doors or out. Natural spring and 500,000 in a nice fish pond....water is life. Sorry to hear you might need to use nightfall to get it in a jam. PVS-14 NV will bring that to a quick halt... ;-)... or help you get to it?

Leave a comment:

• oly
    replied
    Originally posted by rancher View Post
    Having to go out into the open or hike to get your water will one day be a one way dead end trip for you...not smart.
    I'm in the desert and water is precious so if any group was to try or take control of a watering hole would not be smart, I would burn them out myself to survive.

I would use the cover of night to fetch my water.

Leave a comment:

• rancher
    replied
    Location...

Being able to see others lights etc is not a for sure "Death Wish" You might try a dead end dirt road to begin with. Thus no through traffic. Next in a crisis, blocking said road with fallen trees is a great barrier. The distant sound of a chain saw will mean it is time to lock and load. Go take a hike to see what is up from a pre selected firing position.

Having to go out into the open or hike to get your water will one day be a one way dead end trip for you...not smart.

40 plus acres is roomy. The area around you being empty is better and or backed up to a real near to a national type forest always helps. Going to hide in the national forests is a death wish waiting to happen.

Idaho is a great location. It snows plenty here so the bums and unprepared trying to hang in the woods will be snowed in on the first storm. Only to have their bones picked clean by the wolves.

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian
    replied
    I'm a hermit type. From what I've read and seen on TV, I think I would prefer Utah or Idaho. In reality, all I know is what I've read and seen on TV. My thinking is to stay with what you know. Family and friends do mean a lot. In your position, I think I would go see and learn about State and Federal Forrest Land in the N. Ga., E. Tenn., N. Car. area. In a bad situation, no one would have "more right" to be there than you. You won't be kicked out. Also, that area is, in my view, a hunting/fishing paradise. Beautiful country. I'd find an area with little or no human sign like car tracks, garbage, etc. and get familiar with it. My .02

Leave a comment:

• Stahlberg
    replied
    This thread is gold. If I ever get enough money to buy land I will refer back to it. I know it's particularly cheap right now in many places, but my finances went down with the prices, so. shrug

Out of all continental US, what states would be the best choices to look in? Midwest and north, northwest and east? The more remote the better? Or is it most important not to have to travel too far when you need it?
    Is land cheaper and more available on the Canadian side? (Because you'd hardly need to worry about crossing the border illegally in any kind of worst case scenario)

Leave a comment:

• Bavarian
    replied
    I'm in the process of getting twenty very secluded acres. It's in a hollow with a stream in the middle, almost a story book place. It's mostly woods with steep hills, one way in and out.

I'm getting it just as a place to get away, practice skills and "just in case". It has an area that can be used to garden but I've walked it several times to see what grows there as that is very important to me.

I've found game: turkey, deer, ducks, rabbit, squirrel and raccoon. A variety of fish. Edible plants: Walnuts, hickory and acorns. Various fungi, violets, wild strawberrys, arum, goldenrod, rose hips, staghorn sumac, pine, grapes, cattail, mosses, black berry, mulberry, fern, redbud and ditch lilys. I'm still looking.

I think my wife and I can sustain ourselves on this land if we have to. Due to ice and wind storms in this area, there's enough downed timber to build a good size cabin and anything else we might need plus firewood.

Just trying to say that there is a lot you can look for when you're thinking of a good place to go (in case you have to).

Leave a comment:

• Loshali
    replied
    Originally posted by oldmarinesgt View Post
    Here is the link to the Texas Manual for rainwater harvesting in PDF format. It is common out here in West Texas to use rain catchment systems.

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publicat...3rdedition.pdf
    Using such a system, you just decreased the price you'll have to pay for land by about 60%. Add a well to that and you are pretty much set.

Plastic will degrade, but those cement cisterns have been around 100+ years at the plantations, and still in good working condition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X