No announcement yet.

How much ammo do you need? (QUIZ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As we live in a BOL, we aren't leaving. Except for the fact we are retired, we are no different than anyone else here meaning we have "preps" same as all of you..

As usual Registror, you promise no one can survive because all these people and now, you added dogs will descend in every remote area and strip the forests of any game. Obviously that means dogs trained to hunting any kind of animal worth eating.
    I'm sure you've seen Kelly's Heroes and remember "Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves." Guess what, you're our Moriarty.

Comment

What to hunt? Well I use either a .270 mossberg, or a 30-30 lever action for white tail, feral pigs, bigger animals moose and bear needs a bigger round, I use my M -1 in 30.06. 12 gauge for birds, Since we live on a farm we don't need to hunt every week to put meat on the table.

Comment

What to hunt and what to carry when hunting is the question.
        If I encounter quail, doves, turkey or grouse, a shotgun is the best choice. If I'd encounter bear, deer or feral hog then eject the birdshot and load a slug. Oops, noise and the deer would run. IMO, a better balance would be a 12 gauge and a .41 or .44. The problem is
        I can't predict what I'll see..

Same as you living on a farm, we live in a national forest; keeping meat on the table isn't a problem. Or fish from the lake or river. There are also snakes which are also good eating.

Comment

Well I like to start the spring with all the ammo that my wife and I expect to use in matches reloaded by the end of March for the years shooting season. Other than that I like to maintain a minimum of 300 rds per firearm I own "Just in case" a match happens that I haven't known about or preplanned for.
          Last edited by Garand; 02-24-2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garand View Post
            Well I like to start the spring with all the ammo that my wife and I expect to use in matches reloaded by the end of March. Other than that I like to maintain a minimum of 300 rds per firearm I own "Just in case" a match happens that I haven't known about or preplanned for.
            I'm a hoarder with ammo as when it was inexpensive I bought a lot. In 7.62x51, I have Hert, SA, EG, Venezuelan, Radway etc. I did the same with others. When I went to a gun show and if I couldn't find anything to buy, I bought ammo. Silly then, but not so silly now.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that if you are permanently in your BOL, plus you now have the opportunity to establish small caches in the area.

Comment

That's the issue I have, I do have friends that will let me store a tac stash, rifle, mags, ammo, and a few other things at their cabin. But it's about 1.5 hours away.
                Last edited by Armyjimbo; 03-05-2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garand View Post
                  Nothing wrong with that if you are permanently in your BOL, plus you now have the opportunity to establish small caches in the area.
                  We aren't going anywhere. It's 17 miles from city limits of the nearest small town with an under 9K population; so pickings are pretty slim between here and there.

This never was a BOL, it was a place and life style we love.

Comment

Originally posted by Armyjimbo View Post
                    That's the issue I have, I do have friends that will let me store a tac stash, rifle, mags, ammo, and a few other things at their cabin. But it's about 1.5 hours away.
                    Which could be one of many caches, no need to put all your eggs in 1 basket.

Comment

The debate as to "How much ammo do you need ?" is an interesting one.
                      However, I believe saving ammo is more important. So, I would recommend learning how to trap your food. In a single night, a single person can trap enough meat to easily feed a group of 10 for a few days. Additionally, when compared to ammo, traps are inexpensive and with a certain degree of knowledge and experience, can be free. Snare traps are usually inexpensive and are easy to use. Foot hold traps are more expensive and are also fairly easy to use.
                      There are a couple of caveats to keep in mind when using traps. 1) traps are indiscriminate. They will catch any animal that happens by (sometimes even people). Place your traps in a location well away from family pets and livestock. 2) Traps may be illegal. The use of traps must be decided by the individual, but remember, this is a a survival situation and sustaining your group is paramount.

Comment

Trapping is a viable option if your away from population zones, unless you want cat, rat maybe a squirrel .I've been on a working trap line it was a lot of ground to cover back in the 70's.

Comment

I actually over the years think this is a silly question due to the geographical differences of North America. If your in New York City your not going to need a lot of .30/30 or 7mm Rem Mag to hunt with, maybe in Western Montana. How many people actually consider about travelling with that ammo in case you have to change locations. How many people actually consider the type and durability of containers that they are transporting? Example what is easier to move ie; 1,600 rds of .45acp in 2 metal military ammo cans or 1,600 rds in a Rubbermaid storage container?

Comment

Originally posted by Armyjimbo View Post
                            Trapping is a viable option if your away from population zones, unless you want cat, rat maybe a squirrel .I've been on a working trap line it was a lot of ground to cover back in the 70's.
                            Another possible option to trapping for small game are "adult precision" air rifles with thousands of pellets and spare common wear parts.
                            Pneumatics are also available.
                            https://thegunzone.com/best-air-rifl...-deer-hunting/
                            Without electricity, filling the tank with a hand pump is tedious.

Comment

solar to a battery to a electric motor to a pump, to a tank, to the rifle reservoir on the gun. Bit of a faff as the brits would say but it gets it done. but for HP air pressures .............

Comment

The problem is the PCP tank requires 3000 or more PSI. to be charged to a full tank. I have a air compressor with enough CFM to paint and use air tools; however, it does not come close to what a PCP rifle requires.
                                https://www.pyramydair.com/accessories/pcp-parts/compressors.
                                The cost is from $650 plus the rifle is more than personally I'm will to pay.

Comment

Working...
                                X