No announcement yet.

Police, Fire, EMS and other Public Services - I've got a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultamatley, you will have to come to your own answer yourself. As an EMT, just seeing you at your job at a time like that will boost moral, but if you start getting sick, your more of a hazard than ever.
    You will come in contact with more sick people than the rest, so you become the biggest carrier.

My advice to you: take a weekend and get away with just your wife. Let someone baby sit the kids. The goal of the getaway is to talk with your wife and find the answer you seek. This is not a fishing trip or time to shop at new stores, this is as important as estate planning. Make your will too while your at it. The two of you must be in agreement or you will be no better off than any other sheeple out there.

Robie

Comment

I would have expected the need for a family-needs-first policy to have been considered important by our First Responder organizations. If they have not I expect they will find their performance severely curtailed during a real disaster.

God is clear about the ranking of your priorities: God, spouse, children, neighbors, self. The military condensed that down to God & country and then developed extensive provisions for the families of active duty personnel. If a man-made organization tries to override those priorities they are doomed to fail.

If you're not sure which God I am referring to you have more important issues to settle before these.

Take care of your own first. Then I will appreciate some help.
      If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangler View Post
        .... God is clear about the ranking of your priorities ....If you're not sure which God I am referring to you have more important issues to settle before these.
        Well said ....

O.W.
        Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

I had this discussion in 2004 with many like minded people. It depends on the speed of the spread including how long is the virus active in the area, before you can identify it. Most decided that if the virus traveled as fast as it did in 1918 that once it has reached US Territory, it's too late, it will be in your local area. This is due to air travel. If the pandemic is less a killer then H5N1 we decided that once it is detected in the schools - -SIP (Stay In Place),

During the last flu, pandemic (H1N1) most schools stayed open when they should have been closed. They stayed open due to political and money reasons - - Not Health!!! Schools will spread the virus to families around the world. ASK the CDC!!!

Comment

Would there be interest in the First Responder community to partner with a non-responder family during an emergency? That way they would know their own family is being looked after.

I would think there would be support for a project like this. Call it "Adopt-A-Cop", "Fireman's Friend", or "EMT BFF", ok that one is a little off, but you get the idea.
            If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

How well could your family manage without you? I'm sure emotionally not well. I think it's a personal choice that would be extremely difficult. I applaud you and all that choose to give selflessly to protect and serve the rest of us. But at some point I think self preservation will will be more logical.

Comment

A few years ago there was a bad spell of fires in California (I know this happens every year....)
                A local volunteer fire chief was having a press conference about the Cal Forest Service pulling out of an area that was having too erratic fire behaviour. He said "My men are up there now, and will fight to the death and die to a man defending every structure."
                It made a lot of headlines, and is used every time I give a class as an example of the wrong attitude. I wouldn't give up one person's life for every home shed or outhouse in the country. I have lost 4 co-workers in line-of-duty-deaths since I started this career. Two last year, one that I went through academy with, and one I have travelled the country with on deployments. I believe my first duty is to return home safely. Take out the emotion and drama, and look at it analyticaly, and I will be of more service by surviving to help at a later point, than by throwing away my life in a losing battle.
                This is also true of a pandemic. Any EMS persons who rush in and become victims too, will be of no further help to the survivors. I believe in the calling of what I do, and am proud of the sacrifices my brothers have made, and am willing to be on the frontlines, but I will not squander my life cheaply.
                When a forest fire is blowing up, we fall back and hunker down. We take actions that we can perform safely, but we also disengage and give up ground where we can not be safe. Eventually the terrain, weather, or fuel changes and the fire becomes more manageable. We re-engage and attack, usually from a well preppared vantage point that we were working on while the fire raged.
                I have an idea that that is what EMS'ers should do with a pandemic. Help where you can safely, but hunker down and protect yourselves when necessary, even if it means there will be some actions you can not take, and some folks you can not help. Then, when the prepperations are in place, come back and do what you can to help those that are left.
                "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

the family packs up and gets sent to where the group is meeting; they take the primary vehicle and all the supplies we can fit. If they have to bug out from there I know where to meet them. I stay and team up with others who I know will stay, and we help as long as we can. I know the group and have confidence in them. After that it's up to an authority who is higher then anyone living.
                  Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Domdabears View Post
                    Also, since you're an EMT, if this did happen and it was a giant nation wide pandemic, would you get into some serious trouble with authorities since your job is to care for people and you decide to go AWOL?
                    Just asking.
                    Being an EMT myself certified in the states of PA and NJ there is nothing legally they can do to me if I do not act. I can have EMT stickers all over my car and drive by an accident and not stop and nothing anyone can do about it legally .. now if i'm working in the capacity of an EMT or on an ambulance at the time and then did nothing then there would be hell to pay because under the law at this time I would have a "duty to act" but no other time off duty or on personnel time must I do anything. I don't know the laws everywhere else but this is the case in NJ and PA
                    Survival is not the art of living it's the art of existing

Comment

Thankfully I do not have to deal with that scenario! My first second and third responsibility is to my wife and two children.

Comment

I believe that can only be decided by you, God and your family. In your heart you'll know when to cut and run or when everyone that can be saved has been. It's a hard thing to leave anyone behind.

Comment

Pretty simple for me, during the May floods of 2010, I made sure my wife and family were taken care of first. After and only After I was 100 % positive they were going to be okay, I went in to work to take care of my duties there.

Comment

No matter what my job were at the time, my #1 priority is my family. Once I know they were safe and have all they need only then would my job come into play. Sorry if that sounds selfish, my family is everything to me.

Joe
                            SEMPER PARATUS

Comment

Your feelings toward helping people are admirable, and I would think that would be the overriding factor. You would want to stay because you have a feeling of duty towards helping people. Correct me if I am wrong.

A job would not get 1 seconds worth of consideration if it was a choice between job and family. The job owes you nothing and will give you nothing. All the dedication and service you have provided won't be worth spit if they decide to cut you loose. They have NO loyalty to you. Why should you have any loyalty to them.

Family first and always.
                              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I'm also an EMT in the state of Pennsylvania and New Jersey and if something like that should happen and i'm not on an ambulance or doing a job that requires that skill I won't be found anywhere near the sick and dying I know it sounds selfish but if I should contract any of these what good would I be to the people that would depend on my in this situation?

I say stay away and take care of your own.
                                Survival is not the art of living it's the art of existing

Comment

Working...
                                X