No announcement yet.

Urban Scenario: You can have ONE appliance, what is it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this being a hypothetical situation....the freezer to me seems the better option.

a large freezer unit can generate a lot of heat...I would harness that....and suppliment with wood if necessary.
    Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

.... food processor / juicer.

O.W.
      Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

A refrigerator / freezer combo. For the obvious food preservation and for medicine. To make my youngest daughter's insulin last as long as possible and hope that a supply chain or source could be re-established in time.

I read a book titled "One Second After" by author William R. Forstchen. It hit frighteningly close to home. If you haven't read it, I would say it is a must read piece of valuable literature. It was a tough read for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Railman View Post
          .... To make my youngest daughter's insulin last as long as possible and hope that a supply chain or source could be re-established in time.
          Off topic .... have you researched natural substitutes for insulin? http://naturalmedicinetreatmentalter...y-toronto.aspx

Change in diet can result in reversal of type 2 diabetes ....

O.W.

Comment

I have to agree with freezer I like the idea of using it for AC.
            He who lives with the most toys, wins.

Comment

I read a book titled "One Second After" by author William R. Forstchen. It hit frighteningly close to home. If you haven't read it, I would say it is a must read piece of valuable literature. It was a tough read for me.
              Read the book, good book. Im sure id did hit close to home with you. I agree, working on diets can be beneficial. Im sure the insulin is still needed. Good luck in your preps.
              I also, agree with the choice of a freezer.
              If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

Hmmm a blender...use it for processing food for canning, making juice, etc...

Also use some of that Tequila I got stashed to make margaritas come winter when the ice is plentiful...
                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

A ham radio kit. Better to communicate than to sit and wonder what the hell is going on.

Comment

Type 1

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
                    Off topic .... have you researched natural substitutes for insulin?

Change in diet can result in reversal of type 2 diabetes ....

O.W.
                    Yeah, I have. I've read everything I can find. I do appreciate the kind thoughts, though. Of course, I'd be willing to try anything that might help. Unfortunately she has type 1 diabetes and is insulin dependent. The upside, if there is one, is that the insulin she uses has a two year shelf life if properly refrigerated. We just have to be able to get our hands on good viable insulin and then be able to properly preserve it.
                    The reality is that she wouldn't likely last very long. As sad as that makes me.

Comment

.... I'd be willing to try anything that might help.
                      Don't know if this will help http://www.drasa.com/ I listen to him every week night .... Call him.

.... Juicer.

O.W.

Comment

fridge/freezer combo with icemaker. if i was suburban, i'd say well-pump. clean water goes a long way.
                        surviveinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

Comment

I will also go with freezer. I grew up in the city so I know how to cook on a grocery cart and I can make a smoker out of just about anything and you can dehydrate in abandoned vans. I like the freezer because salted, smoked and dehydrated meat get old after awhile and I could pre-make and freeze bread dough.

Comment

I dunno I think you guys got it all wrong to be honest. People survived for thousands of years without any type of refridgeration. But when in survival mode what do you do? You constantly heat things, boil water, cook, burn, reduce... you need heat to make things mold things etc. To have the ability to have instant on heat, fire, and the ability to boil, bake, cook, mold, do whatever you need to do within mins without fuel would be priceless to me. You can always dig a root cellar somewhere. Think about what you could do with an oven/stove combo
                            WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

.... juicer.

O.W.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                                I dunno I think you guys got it all wrong to be honest. People survived for thousands of years without any type of refridgeration. But when in survival mode what do you do? You constantly heat things, boil water, cook, burn, reduce... you need heat to make things mold things etc. To have the ability to have instant on heat, fire, and the ability to boil, bake, cook, mold, do whatever you need to do within mins without fuel would be priceless to me. You can always dig a root cellar somewhere. Think about what you could do with an oven/stove combo
                                You are absolutely right.... But.... Omega has got some steaks cooking on the shopping cart and Jeff Venture is nextdoor brewing up a batch of beer.... We're going to have to keep it cold somehow because warm beer with steak is gonna suck.... Plus Oscar still needs ice for the smoothies he'll be cranking out with that juicer.:cool:

I'm sticking with the freezer:D
                                The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X