We were wrong...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were wrong...

We didn't all believe in the global warming theories for a variety of reasons. Or at least not until it was to late. Then, theories no longer mattered. Surviving mattered. It started with the glaciers breaking up in the Antarctic and Arctic and escalated at a catastrophic rate when the inland glaciers on Greenland and interior Antarctic broke free and entered the oceans. The oceans change of salinity caused catastrophic weather changes and altered the worlds deep and shallow currents which finished melting the worlds permanent ice fields. The ocean rise of 200 feet caused numerous extinctions and massive loss of human lives. What we didn't plan on was the new oceans sinking huge areas of various continental plates. The North American plate sunk an additional 1000 feet sending most of the plains and all coastal areas under water. All of this occurred much faster than most scientist ever believed it could. The world was born anew all in 5 years. Most humans died in the giant tsunamis that hit the coastal areas when the glaciers broke from there inland fields. Or were killed in the hurricane force lightning storms that raged the first 3 years. Those of us that survive are having to learn how to live on a very different planet with massive inland seas and soils with elevated salinity levels. There are huge beds of floating debris from the world before. The industrial world is mostly gone due to elevated ionization in the atmosphere and life has mostly returned to an 1800's level depending mostly on agriculture. Everywhere under 1200 feet in elevation is gone.

Where would you live? How would you live? Did your home survive? Did your BOL survive?

If your wondering, I pieced this together from information in scientific journals. We still don't know what caused the massive extinctions at the end of the last ice age and we are now at the end of this ice age. Just a thought.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Well that certainly narrows it down. Other than a small strip of the Appalachian Mountains the entire East and most of the Midwest is gone. Tornado Alley looks like it would be above water, but basically you are looking at West Texas; West Oklahoma; West Kansas; West Nebraska; and most of the Dakotas. New Mexico; most of Arizona; Colorado; most of Nevada; Utah; Wyoming; Montana; Idaho; most of Oregon. Given those choices I would probably opt for Colorado or Northern Arizona. My area would be long gone. There might be a strip in Southern Missouri that would be beachfront property, but could escape the 1200 foot mark.

Dalewick: Is there any other data on how the rest of the climate would change after this happened? What would the temperatures be? How much precipitation could be expected? Huge parts of what would be left are currently desert. Would that change? There doesn't seem to be much of a growing season anywhere. Interesting post.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post

Dalewick: Is there any other data on how the rest of the climate would change after this happened? What would the temperatures be? How much precipitation could be expected? Huge parts of what would be left are currently desert. Would that change? There doesn't seem to be much of a growing season anywhere. Interesting post.
      Morgan, There is meteorological data for this scenario though it varies along with other geological conditions that could be triggered. If no further geological events occur, which is what I based this scenario on, the worlds climate would stabilize and due to the increase of ocean coverage to absorb more radiant heat from the sun the climate would become very mild. Most of the world would range in the 65 to 80 degree Fahrenheit. With barely noticeable seasonal changes. During the 5 years the temps would be much cooler than normal due to the heavy cloud cover over the planet.

Precipitation would be less than you might expect with much of it depending on mountain ranges. Windward side of ranges could be very heavy, like say California redwood coast or even possibly Washington state rainforest, so anywhere from 60 to 400 inches per year. Deserts would be different than what we think of as traditional (Sahara, SW USA, Mexico, etc) and would become more of the semi-arid or arid tropical areas. These also would be dependent on mountain ranges and the new global air currents.

This comes from what I've read of what would be a best outcome scenario. From what I read, worst outcome has the sinking NA, Africa, and SA plates triggering the worlds super volcanos and volcanos in Antarctica, along the plate edges and possibly new shield volcanos at thin spot on the plates, like Hawaii. With the plummeting temps and all water freezing...well, NO SURVIVORS.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think there wouldn't be a growing season?

Dale
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Dale - This is weird. FOX news this weekend talked about change's that were to happened 10-40 years ago and have not. No the north and south poles are not going to melt next week, months or years from now.

But as a possible future disaster who knows. I have living arrangement at 1645' above sea level that should be good.

Main problem will be fresh water!!!!!! The current rivers, lakes even springs will change direction, dry up, etc. and not for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
          Dale - This is weird. FOX news this weekend talked about change's that were to happened 10-40 years ago and have not. No the north and south poles are not going to melt next week, months or years from now.

But as a possible future disaster who knows. I have living arrangement at 1645' above sea level that should be good.

Main problem will be fresh water!!!!!! The current rivers, lakes even springs will change direction, dry up, etc. and not for the better.
          RICHFL, Thanks for replying. I figure were coming out of an ice age, who knows what might happen.

Dale

Comment

Dalewick: Let me rephrase my comment on the growing season. The places that will be left above the 1200 elevation are predominantly desert. The soil in those areas isn't very good at least for grain production. Will those areas support crop production to be able to feed a population? Of course there won't be anywhere near the population that will have to be fed. I know we will have a growing season. I just wonder what we will be able to grow.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Dalewick: Let me rephrase my comment on the growing season. The places that will be left above the 1200 elevation are predominantly desert. The soil in those areas isn't very good at least for grain production. Will those areas support crop production to be able to feed a population? Of course there won't be anywhere near the population that will have to be fed. I know we will have a growing season. I just wonder what we will be able to grow.
              I'm not sure about our desert SW but from what I've seen and read most desert areas are actually fertile but unable to be productive agriculturally due to no water. The areas I've been in New Mexico show historical (ice age) evidence of being very fertile and of having forest in the past. I think a lot will depend on the new climate and weather patterns. It kind of made my head spin when I went to looking at everything that we would have to reevaluate and learn how to deal with the differences in barometric and air pressure, new tides, new trade winds, jet stream, possibly magnetic poles, what vegetation will grow and even dominate, loss of coral reefs temporarily, changes in aquatic life and on and on.

If the climate is mild with rain I would thing it won't be an issue to develop commercial scale agriculture. I really don't know how the worlds oceans change in salinity will affect so many things.

It would truly be a brave new world.

Morgan, Hope I at least came close to answering your question.

Dale

Comment

I don't know about feeding a population under these growing conditions but for a certainty, those who know that all grass seeds are edible (watch out for ergot, though) may be able to use them as a grain substitute for including in basic soups, stews, etc.

Many varieties of wild grasses grow under diverse conditions... This would be an interesting topic to research. There are other plants bearing profuse amounts of edible seed that are rich in carbohydrates and will grow in all sorts of climate/soil conditions. Lamb's Quarter comes to mind...

FYI: At the moment, just about every kind of wild grass seed is available for purchase online.
                Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM.
                Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post

RICHFL, Thanks for replying. I figure were coming out of an ice age, who knows what might happen.

Dale
                  I can report this, with zero reservation. Alaska weather has changed for the warmer over the last 49 years that I have lived here. It is currently 46 degrees and raining lightly, almost a mist falling. It might hit 50 degrees above today.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

As near as I can tell I would wind up on an island or peninsula after everything settled down. Sounds good for seafood right? Wrong! The salinity of the oceans would drastically reduced and 5 years out there would not be enough remaining ocean life to harvest. Ocean life would suffer just like any land life be it human or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

I can report this, with zero reservation. Alaska weather has changed for the warmer over the last 49 years that I have lived here. It is currently 46 degrees and raining lightly, almost a mist falling. It might hit 50 degrees above today.
                      Sourdough,
                      Thanks for the input from AK. I've heard, but don't know for a fact, that some of the north shore Inuit villages are having to move due to rising ocean levels. Do you know anything about this? Thanks.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                        As near as I can tell I would wind up on an island or peninsula after everything settled down. Sounds good for seafood right? Wrong! The salinity of the oceans would drastically reduced and 5 years out there would not be enough remaining ocean life to harvest. Ocean life would suffer just like any land life be it human or otherwise.
                        Gran, That may not necessarily be true. Many marine fish species have a wide tolerance of salinity levels. More than just the anadromous species (salmons, trout's, sturgeons), are able to come up into estuaries to spawn and some, such as bull sharks can even live in rivers for extended times. Also, most shellfish (mussels, crabs, shrimp, etc.), are also adaptable when it comes to salinity levels so that the shallow oceans in places like our Midwest, could become a bread basket of a different type. It would definitely be great places to practice mariculture for different seaweeds and some species that we can only raise in the south gulf coast currently. Algae would be a top species of culture for us for food production as well as source of fuel. The oceans would be very productive with the greatly reduced fishing pressure and species would find new niches. My concern would be how the oceans would deal with the algae blooms from the fertilizer dumb of all the current commercial farmland going under. IT could cause oxygen depletion in some areas but the hurricane type storm would probably eliminate these from physical agitation of the oceans. The algae blooms would cause phytoplankton blooms and increase the oceans food chain all the way to the top. Commercial fishing (like today), would be a long time coming back with the merchant and naval fleets wiped out and no established ports.

Another thought. If fish and other marine life would do well, then marine mammals and marine birds would expand there ranges and come back into use by humans.

Dale

Comment

Sourdough,
                          Thanks for the input from AK. I've heard, but don't know for a fact, that some of the north shore Inuit villages are having to move due to rising ocean levels. Do you know anything about this? Thanks.

Dale
                          No I don't know about that.........However the land along the coast which had been frozen year around with what is called "Permafrost", that coast beach is rapidly sloughing off as it thaws, which brings the ocean inland toward the native villages.
                          Last edited by Sourdough; 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM.
                          One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

No I don't know about that.........However the land along the coast which had been frozen year around with what is called "Permafrost", that coast beach is rapidly sloughing off as it thaws, which brings the ocean inland toward the native villages.
                            Well, that's a little unsettling. Did I write a scenario or a prophesy? Thanks for the info.

Dale

Comment

Well, that's a little unsettling. Did I write a scenario or a prophesy? Thanks for the info.

Dale
                              One thing.......as it melts and erodes off they are finding frozen bodies, that are mummified and frozen that are falling out of the dirt/tundra as it thaws and falls, bodies fall out. Which means that hundreds or thousands of years ago the village was even further out where the ocean is now. And the bodies were buried well back from the ocean bluff originally.

Comment

Working...
                              X