A Scenario With a Ethics & Morals Check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scenario With a Ethics & Morals Check

Here's this week's from Ed That Matters website - this topic is widely discussed in different formatted scenarios - but basically asking whether you decide to share or not ....

https://www.edthatmatters.com/confli...able-friend-2/

SCENARIO – You hear a noise in the back of your house, and you found about12 orphans scavenging for food in your garbage cans. They appear to be kids under 6, 7 years old. Taking them in would diminish your supply timeline by 50% and you aren’t sure you can replenish your supplies once they run out. Plus it would take manpower to watch over all of them, and you can spare little since everyone in your camp is constantly exhausted from hard work and rationed meals. Leaving these kids to their fates would mean their deaths, or worse. How would you handle this situation?

Darwin said it best "...only the strongest will survive" Once the hunger gets deep into your belly, and you see no way to get enough food. Moral thoughts go away.. Seen it enough times in enough war and disaster zones around the world.

Yes some gentle souls would take them in, but what happens when there is no more food? The kids and your group, will be in the same condition that you found those kids.

It does give thought about what to do when (beggars) come calling. Whether it is their own fault by not being prepared, or because of age, very young or very old does not matter:

YOU MUST LOOK OUT FOR YOUR OWN!!!!

Comment

If you are on rations, why is there any edible garbage in your garbage cans?

Cedar

Comment

Originally posted by Cedar View Post
        If you are on rations, why is there any edible garbage in your garbage cans?

Cedar

the scenario as spelled out didn't say the kids were actually finding anything - just going thru the garbage ....

it does bring up a point that I stress as part of maintaining OPSEC - garbage picking & salvaging is going to become a huge part of the refugee sheeple's lives ... leaving telltale signs of your food reserves around your immediate property could draw raiders - a fresh looking empty box of mac & cheese could be enough ...
        Last edited by Illini Warrior; 12-08-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Hate this scenario. Like Rich, I've been in the bad parts of the world when societies have collapsed. It isn't pretty, but I have a real soft spot for kids. Yep, I was the jackass passing out candy, food and coins to the street urchins. That would be one of my favorite reasons for living in a very rural area, it greatly reduces the risk of this scenario. In my area I wouldn't let them starve but I wouldn't take them in either. They are young but they would have to learn fast. in my area I could teach them basic agriculture as well as hunter/gather skills. It wouldn't take much more to teach them what to scavenge for that would have trade value. Just because there young doesn't mean they can't survive. There first winter as a group would decide much. I would trade them food for needed raw materials, like firewood, aluminum, coal, copper, lead, etc. If they survive to grow up into teenagers, I'd rather have them friendly than remembering that I was one of the ones that refused to help them.
          Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Illini Warrior View Post
            - a fresh looking empty box of mac & cheese could be enough ...
            And to me, this sounds like firestarter or a wick rolled into a tuna tin, fat orcwax of some kind poured on it for light, or a hobo stove. Better if it was coragated... But...

i would have to be in the situation before I could answer this one. Is it summer, hypothermia weather? If I show them resources, will I need to rely on those resources later on for my daughter and I? Save one? Are they a liability for opsec? Am I going to be traveling.. Can they keep up?

Cedar

Comment

First off, I would ask them where their parents are before I make a decision to feed them or not. You really don't know if the parents sent them into a person's back yard to find food or what so caution is advised. Like Dale said I would not want to see any child starve but the situation needs to be known of where the parents are at. It could be a trap to see if you have food so they could come back to rob you. But I to would not take in any children knowing I might not have enough food for them and my family. My family would always come first.

Comment

My gut reaction is that sounds like a very large group to be out scavenging on their own. Where did they come from? As AJ said, where are the parents? Some covert operations may be in order to see where they go. I too have a real soft spot for children. It would be hard to turn them away, but I think my assistance would be minimal. Maybe get them to a church, or shelter, some place where they would be safer.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

the possibility of raiders using kids for all kinds of purposes during a serious SHTF is always a possibility - stopping traffic - gathering intel - even gaining access to the property and then defeating security precautions ....

there's always an Artful Dodger among us ....

Comment

Eat the kids!

Problem solved.

Haha!

I kid, I kid. That's a tough one.

-Buggy
                    I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

This is an unrealistic scenario. It would never happen in the first place for any number of reasons. One big reason is that in bad times and bad areas, parents keep their children close to them because children can be sold into slavery. If the parents die off, children who are abandoned or lost, end up in orphanages, if they are lucky. If they're not lucky they end up being slaves or living on the streets or in the woods. Going through garbage cans is NOT something that they do because it draws attention to them and it labels them real fast: a potential victim ready to be plucked.

At most you'll only see 2 or 3 kids working together and no more than that. The competition for food keeps such groups small, very small. I saw this in Viet Nam all the time over there. More than likely when kids do team up they are siblings like brother and sister or some other blood relationship. Most of the time, kids will stay with relatives when their parents die off like an aunt, uncle or grandparents. Orphans are going to be almost nonexistent even in a world of almost total destruction. Look at what happened during the Great Depression of the 1920's and 1930's kids were not just abandoned to their own devices. They lived with relatives of some kind.

Comment

post SHTF there wont be any garbage collections so anything that could be composted should be, anything that cant should be burnt or buried, there should be NO food thrown out every scrap of food should be eaten or used for bait for trapping.

Comment

Working...
                        X