No announcement yet.

Another Scenario - Group Member Has Gone Bent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most all states are different. VA is becoming more and more liberal and get mad if we don't agree with the crap they are doing. If something doesn't change in this state it will become a lot like CA. The school system is not teaching like it should. They are to hell bent on the SOL'S. This is all they teach, so our kids graduate without knowing how to read or put 2 and 2 together. They can't even count back money in a store. the cash reg. tells them how much to give back. no longer teaching cursive writing. print only. that will back fire down the road. kids are not being taught to think for themselves. they cant think out their problems. no imangination etc. you get the idea.

Comment

So many schools are "teaching to the tests" The federal government requires in order for the school to receive federal funds instead of teaching subjects and techniques for problem solving for the school work. This can result in (and has in some areas) total ignorance in some things needed for every day life and inability to get a job because all they know is what was on the government mandated test! I know people who couldn't balance a check book (they just check their account on line and take the bank's word for what their balance is). Others know nothing about history or proper English or even how to write a simple sentence. And reading? If it more than 2 paragraphs they are lost.

Comment

Cedar: It sounds like your school system is doing it right, and probably better than most. You definitely hit one nail directly on the head when you talk about poor parenting. When did we stop teaching children the difference between right and wrong? When did we stop teaching children that your actions are YOUR choice? When did we lose the concept that there are consequences for your actions?

No one takes responsibility for anything anymore. It is always the "system's" fault. No one, or very few, are punished for bad/illegal/abhorrent behavior. When will we get back to our core values, and get back to God? Were the abuses of drugs and alcohol this bad 50 or 100 years ago, or did we just not hear about it?
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
          Cedar: It sounds like your school system is doing it right, and probably better than most. You definitely hit one nail directly on the head when you talk about poor parenting. When did we stop teaching children the difference between right and wrong? When did we stop teaching children that your actions are YOUR choice? When did we lose the concept that there are consequences for your actions?

No one takes responsibility for anything anymore. It is always the "system's" fault. No one, or very few, are punished for bad/illegal/abhorrent behavior. When will we get back to our core values, and get back to God? Were the abuses of drugs and alcohol this bad 50 or 100 years ago, or did we just not hear about it?
          I think I started with more mom's working , and sometimes even two.jobs. more latchkey kids, who had to raise themselves, and this is the second generation after them. The first generation didn't learn parenting skills from their parents, and the next generation is just as ignorant about how to parent. I am only half blaming it on them. Maybe even only 1/4.
          You can be non-religious, or believe in another God besides the Christian god to know between right and wrong. Christians don't corner the market on good morals, ethics and responsibilities... anyine can have them..... If they chose to.

I see it all across the board.. work ethic sucks anymore. I feel our current president is not presidential, setting a pretty low standards, and influencing that this behavior is ok. It is not ok. Same goes got that boorish git Moore.

problem is Pandora opened the box, and it is going to take a hell of a lot to get that box shut again with all the bad stuff stuffed back into it. I figure four generations from now, as well as a political/economic collaspe.

Drugs were around then.. opium was in use then a century ago, as was Methamphetamines. They are not anything new. Pot was grow and used in the Colonies here in 1600s.In 1886, “Coca-Cola” was introduced and contained cocaine syrup. Yeah it has always been there. (For record I have never done drugs, smoked a cigarette, or been drunk... Not drank coffee -- yeah I know.. I ain't fun at parties, but I make a great designated driver)

No.. it is the breakdown of society for numberous reasons... I question of late if it is not steered that way on purpose (without getting tinfoily).

Cedar

Last edited by Cedar; 12-15-2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I think the breakdown started about three generations ago. Both parents worked and we had more and more children staying at home by themselves. When I was growing up most of the mothers stayed home and the fathers supported the family. As time went by greed stepped in. Bigger and better houses and cars. Kids became spoiled brats and got everything they wanted. Everything going electronic and pricy so both parents had to work. Also the breakdown of family plays a big part. More divorces and single women getting preg. in their teens. It used to be that Medicaid would pay for a single mom to have 10 children and now it is 5. My take on that would have been ok you made a mistake, Medicaid will pay for this child but after that you are on your own. But no the girls just kept getting preg. for free housing, food and anything else they could get for free.. So what happened in that breakdown. Moms let children run wild while they set on their butts, drinking and doing drugs on our dollar.

Comment

I guess I have a different view on public education than many. I'm married to a elementary school teacher (4th grade currently) and even after working in the government as a park ranger and other positions, I can honestly say, I wouldn't have her job. I've watched how things have changed for her in the 30+ years we have been married and it eats her up. the kids that have parents that have checked out due to drug use. Kids that constantly get bounced from one house to another due to parents that behave like children. Parent that let video games and TV raise there kids and the kids that seem to be raising there parents. Throw in a School system that allows NO disciplining of the children except taking there recess and less than that in the higher grades. School systems that make unrealistic demands on teachers that already work 8 hour days to come home and work 4 to 6 more hours at home each evening because there is no way possible to get all of the paper work done that is required along with grading papers, preparing class work and more. I should shut up now.

Dale
              Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Dalewick: My wife was also an elementary teacher for 40 years. She saw the transition from stay-at-home Moms to working Moms, and it was not a good thing. Now children have no manners, and no social skills. They don't teach those things in day care centers. Parents who were working gave their children "things" instead of love and attention. Some would say this was out of guilt for not being there, but there was not a positive result. Kids were spoiled, and never had to work to attain anything. Now they have grown into a generation that expects everything to be handed to them. They have no clue how the world works. They think it revolves around them.

I agree that school systems have thrown teachers under the bus. There is no discipline. There are no consequences for bad behavior or inferior performance. It is always somebody else's fault.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
                  Dalewick: My wife was also an elementary teacher for 40 years. She saw the transition from stay-at-home Moms to working Moms, and it was not a good thing. Now children have no manners, and no social skills. They don't teach those things in day care centers. Parents who were working gave their children "things" instead of love and attention. Some would say this was out of guilt for not being there, but there was not a positive result. Kids were spoiled, and never had to work to attain anything. Now they have grown into a generation that expects everything to be handed to them. They have no clue how the world works. They think it revolves around them.

I agree that school systems have thrown teachers under the bus. There is no discipline. There are no consequences for bad behavior or inferior performance. It is always somebody else's fault.
                  I agree on the mom at home. My wife and I decided that she would quit work and we would raise our kids, instead of someone else raising them before we even got married. It wasn't always easy with one income but with one child in the workforce as an Aerospace Engineer and the second one starting into her senior year as a Biomedical Engineer, I'm not complaining.
                  I also agree on the snowflake generation, but that's another post.
                  Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

Years ago, a group of us were talking about a very similar situation. One old combat wizened veteran spoke up and enlightened many of us by saying, "Sometimes you, your former friend, a shovel and a gun all need to go for a walk in the woods. Only you and the shovel should come back." He also noted, "Remember to bury any mistakes of yours real deep so that they don't pop out when you least expect them to do so." I don't know if this would be the right answer or not BUT you are talking about a tough scenario in a situation where rules and laws may have been suspended or not even exist. If this guy is a danger to you and your survival that guy may not be giving you any options as far as his conduct is concerned. Just some food for thought.

Comment

here's another Conflicted scenario from Ed That Matters - https://www.edthatmatters.com/confli...ily-decisions/

''Conflicted is a Survival Game. Each card in the deck has a scenario that will stretch how you would respond in an SHTF situation. What would you do? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!''

Conflicted: Tough Family Decisions – What Would You Do?

SCENARIO – You have been approached by a post-apocalyptic community which is very well known and respected and they invited you to join them. Food, water, and comfort await you and your family, however, there is only room for you and your family only.

Your buddies and their families depend on you and your skills, but the life you all live now is full of every kind of struggle. Would you join the community for the sake of your family and leave your buddies or would you stay with your friends and continue to make your family suffer? Why?

Comment

interesting... a lot of dynamics here. Well guess it would depend on if I thought these friends needed me because they were learning and trying to improve skills or if i thought they might be taking some advantage and maybe were taking a free ride sponging some and letting me do the hard work. Another part would really depend on how "bad" we had it and if my family was truly suffering or if we were just living a shoe string so to speak. Depending on how long into things were were and how close they all are though I might look at them all as my family and say no to the offer.

here's a question, let's say you took a pass and then this super group turned around and offered this slot to one of the other strong families in your group as a runner up, maybe one of your good or best friends, and they jumped at it... then how would you feel?
                        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

These scenarios are interesting, but they always raise more questions than they answer. How far is this group from your current location? Would there be a possibility of dividing time between both groups? What does your family think? How close are you to your current group? Long time friends who genuinely need your help, or a melting pot that came together to survive?

I guess my ultimate decision would be to do what was best for my family. If they all wanted to go we would go. If they all wanted to stay we would stay.

Comment

always interesting to see what other preppers have to comment - here's the comment section from 03/06/18 ..

6 thoughts on “Conflicted: Tough Family Decisions – What Would You Do?”

​​​​​​​D. SmithMarch 1, 2018 at 2:36 pmI would gather my family together and explain the situation. I would tell them that I was going to stay with our friends and buddies to help and MAYBE grow the group. My family’s options were to stay with us or join the other group if they would take them in without me and it was their decision only. If my family can better themselves fine, but I would not leave buddies and friends to die when my knowledge and skills could help keep them alive. I would let them know that I would always love them what ever their decision.

Max StottoMarch 5, 2018 at 3:52 am“Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
                            Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel”
                            Shakespeare

Whats a little hardship between friends?

PhredMarch 5, 2018 at 7:39 amI agree with D. Smith. I am a survivor and we would find a way to make it. With Gods help.

fifth_discipleMarch 5, 2018 at 1:40 pmIt’s unlikely that the other community would invite you if you didn’t have a skill they needed. Regardless of how well known they may be you never get an accurate picture until you’ve spent some time with them. Anyone here married? What happens if it’s not a good fit? Where will your old group be? For me it’s an all or nothing proposition and I want an understanding that if it’s not a good fit we will be leaving.

To the Right of Attila the HunMarch 5, 2018 at 4:47 pmI would stay with my friends and try to work out a deal with my skills that were needed. Helping both groups to become more secure. A mutual assistance pact. Train an apprentice for the 1st group and have one of my friends learn a skill from them. Win, Win
                            mark haneyMarch 5, 2018 at 6:17 pmthe new group wants you for your skills and knowledge the same reason your group needs you. if you stay behind the new group may not take your family without you coming along. i wouldn’t go anywhere without my family or send them away without me.

Comment

that's why I don't like "group" situations, too many things can go wrong, too many Ego's to upset.
                              over here any groups will be family units and family only.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpygremlin View Post
                                that's why I don't like "group" situations, too many things can go wrong, too many Ego's to upset.
                                over here any groups will be family units and family only.
                                Family unit only doesn't guarantee anything. You get along with everymember of your family? Or lets say you invite you're favorite Aunt but not her deadbeat son but she brings him along assuming you meant him to. How do you handle that?
                                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X