Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

want to meet real people that are planning or want to plan for an "off grid" life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to meet real people that are planning or want to plan for an "off grid" life

Single white female, currently in Richmond VA.
    I'm feeling rather isolated, most of my friends and family think this "doomsday-er" stuff is silly and a wast of time.
    I have a home based business and can live virtually anywhere I want to.
    I'd like to buy some property and start preparing.
    I'd also like to be a in a network with others who share my interests and goals.
    My real desire is to connect with people live an in person.

Any suggestions?

Rachel

Originally posted by redheadedandleggy View Post
    .... I'm feeling rather isolated, most of my friends and family think this "doomsday-er" stuff is silly and a wast of time.

Any suggestions?

Rachel
    You've taken the first step. Lots of good folks from Virginia are members here.

http://www.survivalmagazine.org/surv.../17-S-E-Region

I'll add that while the "doomsday" mantra is firmly entrenched in the minds of many, the theme here is for preparedness for any calamity that may alter our current norms.

The recent storms that left a wake of destruction SHOULD be all the incentive anyone needs to make preparations to provide for their own comfort and safety.

Do what you need to do for you and don't waste your time and effort trying to convince others of the need.

This "lifestyle" can seem a tad lonesome like but when the time comes, you'll have lots of company .... should you allow.

O.W.
    Last edited by Oscar Wilde; 03-03-2012, 12:37 PM.
    Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Enough with the "planning or want to plan". Start doing.

Go camping at a state or national park at least five times during this year. Each time you go camping make a list of what went well, what you need to buy, what you need to learn how to do and so on.

Between camping trips buy double of the normal groceries you keep on hand. Buy what you use, and use what you buy. Start making more meals from scratch. Then start making your own scratch ingredients. As you do these things you will make mistakes and learn from them.

That's how you plan. Do something even if it is wrong and learn from it.

Don't let this remain too complex or confusing. It is not. It's just not what you are used to. So go do it and find out what comes next.

Welcome, and good luck.
      If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Rachel......I have family ther ein Fredericksburg.....they like me are agents in the Govt....soon to be retiring. They are moving west....1) East TN 2) Colorado 3) Utah.

I guess the knowledge of what's happening from being on the inside coupled with the entire east coast being one big parking lot when times go back have convinced my bro in law and all to wrap things up there and get out of dodge while they can. Just a thought. YOu may not be able to do that.....just a thoought. in the meantime.....start simple...but start....basic provisions....food, water, shelter, protection. Mike in CO.

Comment

Rachel,
          All of the advice from above is great, I agree you have to do things and see what you need, what your skill levels are, Start out small, like stocking up on food, both to eat now, and to have it stored, you can learn to can (jar) your own food, store seeds for gardening. Do you have a Pistol? or other firearm? Go to a range and become the best shot you can, clean and get your Lic. to carry your pistol on your person. I would say if your serious, spend several hours a day on your prepping, camping, shooting, storage of food. Do you have a bug out backpack ready? A place to bug out too. I know so many things can seem to increase your stress, learn yoga, or other stress reducers. Your off to a good start, just keep it going regards JB
          When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "Hunter S. Thompson"

Comment

Welcome from the U.P. of Michigan!
            Action expresses priorities!!!!!!

Comment

Howdy from CO & enjoy. Don't feel bad I have friends that think I'm paranoid & I just tell them no I'm just prepaired. At least I know I will be able to survive. There are some great places here in CO to live.

Comment

Welcome to the board from N E Florida. Remember you are not alone. I bring 22 year of Military Service (USMC) and 7 years Law enforcement to the board. I can say, I'm some what an expert on survival in the desert, training and planning military operations among other things including use of deadly force (lawfully)

Comment

What kind of home based business?

Comment

You have taken the first step in preparation for a disaster. Recognition that there is problems that you cannot fix. What ever has gotten you started here is a great place to meet people and gain a lot of experience that only a life time of living could give you.

Comment

Hello from Clarksville, Tn.

Comment

Found a great link from a post from member "Rage for Order". It should be a big help getting started.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...ater_06042011/
                        If it was man made it can be man re-made.

Comment

Hi there, Red! I'm actually doing it as though SHTF had already happened, although I admit I'm not ready to hunker down for any length of time (yet). Give me a few days to get going, and I'll post some pix. To make a long story short, if you're in financial shape to do it, I'd recommend getting a piece of land somewhere remote, and putting a small metal storage building on it. That's what I did, and through trial and error, I've actually managed to live comfortably out here. I'd recommend a southern location, because the wintertime is a BADGIRL. I've had to spend days hunkered down under two sleeping bags before I mastered firebuilding! haha!

There is more, LOTS MORE, that I can tell you, but probably not in an open forum. Holler back at me, and we'll talk. And if we're on the same page, we'll go from there. I'm not against the idea of visitors who wanna hang out and see how it feels. I'm actually proud of what my brother and I have managed to do down here in the woods.
                          I'll burn that bridge when I get to it....

Comment

Hey! Glad you found us. I was in Virginia last year to fight a wildfire in the Great Dismal Swamp. The day I landed at the airport there was an earthquake. A few days into it we had to evacuate due to a hurricane. Mention that to your friends and family if they give you ANY grief over prepping. It isnt all about mutant zombies from planet X, prepping is about being ready for ANYTHING, even a plain ole winter storm.
                            welcome aboard.
                            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Btw, dont laugh about the mutant zombies....... they're out there...... and they know that I know they're there...... Sorry, had my tin foil hat on way too tight.
                              "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X