No announcement yet.

wood stove advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Nassua Cast Iron woodstove....It accepts 24' logs.....It works geat and heats a 2000 sqft home....One Piece of advice is get a stove 1) with a strong blower 2) make sure that the blower pulls air from inside the stove (not one that tries to pull the heat from the exterior of the stove)....Make sure you use triple insultated pipe thru your walls....I installed it myself, so I can help you if you have questions...I m not an expert but the stove has been in used for years with great heat and no problems...

Comment

here's a photo of my woodstove set up.

The white 4" pipe on the left is the air intake. I have it going through the wall about 3feet up so it doesn't get blocked by snow drifts up against the house. The square box on the chimney is the Mr. Heat unit. The silver 6" duct leads up to a floor vent upstairs. The standoff from the wall is about 3 feet so I don't need a steel heat shield on the wall. The green pipe going through the wall is double wall pipe with solid insulation. Where it goes through the wall there is another 1" air gap between the insulated pipe and a metal heat shield that sits between the wood studs. That keeps the studs cool.

The wood rack holds 3-5 days worth of wood, depending on how cold it is outside. There is a 5 lb fire extinquisher next to the sliding door. We keep kindling in the wood box on the far right. And to keep us entertained, we built the largest checkerboard in Colorado right there in the floor. You can see the stacks of checkers on the left side of the wood rack. My next project is to get out the wood lathe and make some chess pieces of the right size. Pawns about 1' tall, with the king and queen about 2' tall.
      Planning to be here through it all.............

Comment

m38, thay is a beautiful set-up, well done.

Comment

Thanks sourdough, it was fun to figure out, and it sure saves us a bunch of money each year by cutting our heating costs, and keeping the whole house warm. And when we have get togethers with family or friends, the kids all have great fun playing Supersize Checkers. Having the tiles there sure makes cleanup a lot easier too. Just sweep up the bark chips that fall.

Comment

Great looking setup .... how do you control the airflow?

O.W.
            Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
              Great looking setup .... how do you control the airflow?

O.W.
              Thanks Oscar, on the far side of the stove there is an intake air control. It's a butterfly valve on the intake duct that is part of the stove. It won't shut the air off completely but it will restrict it very well if you turn it down. Most of the time we simply leave it wide open and just let the fire burn at it's own rate. It doesn't show in the photo, but on the other side of the black chimney pipe there is a thermometer to tell us if the stove is burning too hot, or too cool. Earth stoves were built very well with simple fire controls, and they work great. But they do smoke, so some places, like cities, don't allow them.

Comment

Originally posted by m38 View Post
                But they do smoke, so some places, like cities, don't allow them.
                Yeah, we wouldn't want that nasty ole wood smoke mixing in with the carbon monoxide spewing buses, trucks, trains, river boats, cars or other burning debri would we?

O.W.
                Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

I use a baker's choice cookstove in both my home and in bol, they are made by the amish. They are easy to learn to cook on and heat up to 2000 sq ft.http://www.woodstoves.net/newbaker.htm

Comment

I got mine on craigslist.org for $250 new still on the crate.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	184904

Comment

Working...
                    X