Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to begin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to begin?

    I’m looking for advice on where to begin my preparation to going off grid. I will be alone, and will be taking in nothing more than a large pack. I have basic survival skills, but I’m not fully prepared for long term. Thus my reason for posting. Where does one look to learn and hone skills needed for long term survival. As well as where is it possible to so, when I feel I am armed with the required knowledge and supplies.

    any and all input is greatly appreciated!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
    I’m looking for advice on where to begin my preparation to going off grid. I will be alone, and will be taking in nothing more than a large pack. I have basic survival skills, but I’m not fully prepared for long term. Thus my reason for posting. Where does one look to learn and hone skills needed for long term survival. As well as where is it possible to so, when I feel I am armed with the required knowledge and supplies.

    any and all input is greatly appreciated!
    I have and "WE" have the knowledge you quest for........."BUT" the question that you have asked is a very typical "BAIT" question started by "Trolls" just to jerk-off members of forums.

    So........Welcome to this forum.........and please tell us about you. How old are you, what state do you live in, etc.
    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

    Comment


    • #3
      There is no such thing as "long term survival". If your surviving, it's to get somewhere. If your living offgrid long term, it's called homesteading. So. which are you planning? Where are you planning this for? How long?

      Dale
      Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

      Comment


      • #4
        To Sourdough's point, if this is a bait in, it will be quickly dealt with. As a new member read the sticky's, follow the rules and go post an intro in the Intro section.

        With that said your post is very general and generic and for the kind of info you're seeking you need to provide details. Like what state, country, etc will you be doing this as location, environment and weather will impact what is or isn't achievable. What's your budget? What if any gear have you started to aquire? What's your timetable to start this?

        Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
        I’m looking for advice on where to begin my preparation to going off grid. I will be alone
        and will be taking in nothing more than a large pack.
        Time to research. For a start, go look up who Dick Proenneke was and buy the books about his experiences and the video series, I believe its "alone in the wilderness". That's a good primer and start reading all the books you can find and practice what u read. Check out your local library for a lot of books.

        Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
        I have basic survival skills, but I’m not fully prepared for long term. Thus my reason for posting.
        Unless you want to wind up dead, you better get a lot more than "basic" and not just bushcraft skills, you also better have first-aid/ medical knowledge and skills, hunting, foraging, etc etc... And to be clear, reading something in a book or watching a Youtube video doesn't in any way mean you have a skill. Let's take fire starting, be it flint and steel or fire by friction. sure many people can do it on a sunny 70 degree day with kiln dry wood. Until you can go out and do it in a rain or snow storm with less than ideal wood, say wet or frozen, you don't really know how to do it. And there will be times you won't be able to get it so you better know what to do next to keep from going hypothermic and freezing to death.

        Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
        Where does one look to learn and hone skills needed for long term survival.
        If your asking this I have to question your sincerity since an hour of searching Google will give you enough leads and info to keep you busy for years.

        Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
        As well as where is it possible to so, when I feel I am armed with the required knowledge and supplies.
        Again questioning sincerity. Isn't this your dream? Why do you need to ask us where to go? Have you ventured off the couch in your Mom's basement? I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year and Uncle Sam will provide a free ticket...

        Now if you're legit and sincere, I will apologize for my cynical tone, but as SD says, your post has all the ear marks of a troll/ mall ninja. Maybe it's just bad beginner luck on your part and if so, again, read the stickies, rules and say Hi in the introduction area. Now come back and lets discuss.
        Last edited by CountryGuy; 06-01-2018, 09:02 PM.
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post



          Time to research. Go look up who Dick Proenneke was and buy the books about his experiences and the video series, I believe its "alone in the wilderness"


          .
          I built my second remote homestead on the North Shore of beautiful Lake Clark in the Alaska Range. It was kind'a a small remote hunting lodge, I had a big hunting/fishing lodge near King Salmon on the Alaska Peninsula . I would see Dick Proenneke now and then, over at Port Alsworth, Alaska (which is on the South Shore of 52 mile long Lake Clark).
          Last edited by Sourdough; 06-01-2018, 09:14 PM.
          One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

            I built my second remote homestead on the North Shore of beautiful Lake Clark in the Alaska Range. It was kind'a a small remote hunting lodge, I had a big hunting/fishing lodge near King Salmon on the Alaska Peninsula . I would see Dick Proenneke now and then, over at Port Alsworth, Alaska (which is on the South Shore of 52 mile long Lake Clark).
            Sourdough, AWESOME! Planned on doing this when I was young. Fell in love and got married instead. No regrets though. Have you ever thought of writing a book?

            Dale
            Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
              Again questioning sincerity. Isn't this your dream? Why do you need to ask us where to go? Have you ventured off the couch in your Mom's basement? I hear Afghanistan is nice this time of year and Uncle Sam will provide a free ticket....
              CG, ROFLOL!!! I've never heard anything nice about Afghanistan. LOL! Uncle Sam's tickets have a cost also. Just no cash involved.

              Dale
              Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

              Comment


              • #8
                First off thank you all for the input. Second, I apologize for not following rules of posting? I thought this was a place to find information, so I asked for it. And thirdly, Although I’m new to this idea, and my terminology my be sub par, my sincerity is not.

                I ask for location because I have many options, I’m curious where a seasoned vet would send a greeny for his first attempt at living in and off of the land. I’m currently in Arizona and there is a 14 day rule in our parks. Aside from a month out in the woods of West Michigan I’ve only successfully spent 2 weeks out far enough to homestead.

                All I know is at this point idea is to head for northern rockies, between 4-6000’, for at least a year. And doing so next spring with only a 150 pound pack.

                Per my post, my skills are basic. I can hunt and forage, as well as build adequate shelter. My goal is to take my weekend hunter tracker skills to their full extent.

                i can agree there is a lot I need to learn and I would like to find books over websites. The only electronics I’ll have are a gps (only for marking not traversing), sat phone, and solar charger.

                again, thank you all for the input!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
                  First off thank you all for the input. Second, I apologize for not following rules of posting? I thought this was a place to find information, so I asked for it. And thirdly, Although I’m new to this idea, and my terminology my be sub par, my sincerity is not.

                  I ask for location because I have many options, I’m curious where a seasoned vet would send a greeny for his first attempt at living in and off of the land. I’m currently in Arizona and there is a 14 day rule in our parks. Aside from a month out in the woods of West Michigan I’ve only successfully spent 2 weeks out far enough to homestead.

                  All I know is at this point idea is to head for northern rockies, between 4-6000’, for at least a year. And doing so next spring with only a 150 pound pack.

                  Per my post, my skills are basic. I can hunt and forage, as well as build adequate shelter. My goal is to take my weekend hunter tracker skills to their full extent.

                  i can agree there is a lot I need to learn and I would like to find books over websites. The only electronics I’ll have are a gps (only for marking not traversing), sat phone, and solar charger.

                  again, thank you all for the input!
                  Hey! Welcome to the forum. :)

                  It sounds like you're pretty sincere. Know that, we have been burned a bunch of times by trolls, although I don't think that is an issue with you. Lets get into it....

                  WOW! A 150 Lbs pack! That's pretty heavy. I don't think I ever carried 150 Lbs on the ruck, even carrying a couple cans of 7.62! Hahah! I would work on lessening the weight, for instance, my long term pack is only around 40-45 Lbs. It contains everything I need for wilderness survival. If you are dead set on taking the kitchen sink! (haha), there are packs available. Just know from experience, the weight adds up on the move.

                  I would look into bushcraft skills. Get back to your primal.

                  Got to scoot! I'll write more later.

                  Once again, WELCOME!

                  -Buggy
                  I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dalewick View Post

                    Sourdough, AWESOME! Have you ever thought of writing a book?

                    Dale
                    Yes.........many times. And have had many people who know me say, "I need to write a book". It will never happen. It is just totally believable. But there are hundreds of men who came to Alaska and lived an incredible adventure. A lot died, many of us came close, but somehow made it to old age. To those of us who did it, we mostly just shake our heads at how dangerous it was. But to the people who would read the books, they could not accept that men lived like that.......that men would choose that life.
                    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jkep8969 View Post
                      First off thank you all for the input. Second, I apologize for not following rules of posting? I thought this was a place to find information, so I asked for it. And thirdly, Although I’m new to this idea, and my terminology my be sub par, my sincerity is not.
                      Jkep, thank you for your reply and I'm glad to know you're sincere in your request. By the way, welcome to the site. I can't write much right now as I have to take my oldest boy to T-ball game (assuming it doesn't wash out again).

                      To help some more, is your desire to be remote enough and on private land to do what you want or will you be bounded by state or Fed land rules? You mention homestead so I'm assuming you'd like to go pioneer style where you hack your existence out of the woods? Would you're plan be to live in a tent, a makeshift shelter or more of a long term structure like a log cabin?

                      Will right more later...
                      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "WILDERNESS Can CHANGE a Man".............

                        https://survivalforum.survivalmagazi...n-change-a-man
                        One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Buggyout View Post

                          Hey! Welcome to the forum. :)

                          It sounds like you're pretty sincere. Know that, we have been burned a bunch of times by trolls, although I don't think that is an issue with you. Lets get into it....

                          WOW! A 150 Lbs pack! That's pretty heavy. I don't think I ever carried 150 Lbs on the ruck, even carrying a couple cans of 7.62! Hahah! I would work on lessening the weight, for instance, my long term pack is only around 40-45 Lbs. It contains everything I need for wilderness survival. If you are dead set on taking the kitchen sink! (haha), there are packs available. Just know from experience, the weight adds up on the move.

                          I would look into bushcraft skills. Get back to your primal.

                          Got to scoot! I'll write more later.

                          Once again, WELCOME!

                          -Buggy
                          Appreciate the welcome!

                          I agree I’ll need to drop the weight, I mentioned it to a hunter buddy of mine. He laughed, and said max of 75. I’m pretty stout, but his best question was how am I going to carry a kill.

                          150 was an estimate of what I’d haul in. But I’m starting to think good gear won’t be as heavy as my camp crate. Plus I was just reading making my own handles and other simple craft I’ll knock a good chunk of weight.

                          What other things can I really craft out there with just a axe and a good knife? Also snares, is there a good source you know of for things bigger than squirrels and critters of the type? Never tried snaring anything bigger than a coyote.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

                            Jkep, thank you for your reply and I'm glad to know you're sincere in your request. By the way, welcome to the site. I can't write much right now as I have to take my oldest boy to T-ball game (assuming it doesn't wash out again).

                            To help some more, is your desire to be remote enough and on private land to do what you want or will you be bounded by state or Fed land rules? You mention homestead so I'm assuming you'd like to go pioneer style where you hack your existence out of the woods? Would you're plan be to live in a tent, a makeshift shelter or more of a long term structure like a log cabin?

                            Will right more later...
                            thank you for the welcome!

                            I Want to be 15 miles further at least from whatever road or trail I get dropped at. If I could find private property that would be awesome, but I’m not ruling anything out.

                            as far as laws of the region, I honestly haven’t chosen a destination, just the Rockies, between 4-6000 ft. somewhere. I’ll gladly abide to any RnR.

                            id like to build a shelter, small temporary shelters until I find good ground. Giving myself 2 weeks to scout a spot. I have a good bit of experience building out of the land. I actually got a chance to help a guy build an awesome old style cabin, that at a much smaller proportion, could be built without taking too much from the habitat.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A century and a half ago, men would pack big game with horses and mules. Even at that, camp was close by to smoke the meat and store it. American Indians hunted out from their camps, doing the same thing, bringing it back in.

                              The Rockies are a hard place to live. Game wasn't frequent even back in the West. Now? It's even more infrequent. Also, the lack of sustainable plants is an issue. They aren't called the "Rockies" without reason. A much better suited wildland are the forests of Idaho. I would look at where Native Americans flourished, for instance, one of the richest and healthiest populations were on the Pacific Northwest coast. Mostly for the abundance of sea life, but also because the forests have excellent ecosystems.

                              Learn from the past for the inevitable future.

                              -Buggy
                              I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X