Self Powered Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    No, that's actually the fourth law of mexican food......
    I know that if someone could show me that one worked, I would invest money in the invention. It is what America needs these days!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
      I know that if someone could show me that one worked, I would invest money in the invention. It is what America needs these days!!!
      I dunno....I might back a little R&D if the theory was sound in principle, and it had present-day practicality. I'd have to be convinced by the science, though - and I'd have to be pretty sure that I'd be able to take advantage of the final product...
      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
        I dunno....I might back a little R&D if the theory was sound in principle, and it had present-day practicality. I'd have to be convinced by the science, though - and I'd have to be pretty sure that I'd be able to take advantage of the final product...
        Agreed. I would want someone to bring me an actual working prototype and set it in my living room and let me run a toaster or a dremmel off of it. Then, I would be willing to invest money in the project.

Comment

I'm gonna buy me a couple of them generator bikes, then capture a few illegal aliens, chain 'em to the bikes and make 'em pedal like crazy. Cheap to run and fun to watch.
          NOTE: I just know that someone, somewhere will take offense to this post.

Comment

Originally posted by RossA View Post
            I'm gonna buy me a couple of them generator bikes, then capture a few illegal aliens, chain 'em to the bikes and make 'em pedal like crazy. Cheap to run and fun to watch.
            NOTE: I just know that someone, somewhere will take offense to this post.
            I'll share the flame with ya RossA and suggest that you dangle a green card in front of them...should be able to get a little welding done before they poop out.

Comment

try this on for size!!! magniworks.com I knew there had to be something out there, but had not found it until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                what if it was cloudy rainy, every day and you were in the woods... solar wont help
                Not true. While it is not as efficient, solar panels will still charge a battery pack on a cloudy or rainy day.

Our place in Idaho is not off the electric grid, but it could be. We have enough solar to power the entire property. Our electric bill is almost always under $5 and that is all taxes.

As for portable, Bruntom makes a panel system, the 26 and a battery pack, the 15. It will store the power you need for most uses and charge the battery is all conditions.

I have a Engel 12V fridge/freezer, the Engel 45 I think. It can hold about two cases of cans, to give you a idea of the size. The Brunton panel and battery pack can power the unit all day. The panel outputs enough energy to power the cooler and charge the battery pack. At night, the battery pack holds enough juice to power the cooler until the sun comes out. The panels are nice, because you can daisy chain up to three of them for more energy and you can go with the model 52 and daisy chain then for even more. I have three of the model 26 panels, but usually carry just one. One model 26 panel and model 15 battery are permanent residents in my BOB and the other two panels are in my base camp gear.

Comment

Got me thinkin'

Originally posted by mountainman28713 View Post
                  try this on for size!!! magniworks.com I knew there had to be something out there, but had not found it until recently.
                  Two years ago I had a main ground wire go out on my house. I called Duke power, they came.. Yata yata, one of the main field managers lives in my neighborhood and walked over as the truck pulled up. He knew him by name and started talking. "You gonna get him some power tonight ain't ya?"..
                  Then the field man pulled out a big box attached to a hand truck.. It was about 24"wide x 8" X 30".. He pulled out the meter, plugged in another meter attached to the box and flipped the switch. I told him that I would not run alot of power until they fixed the main ground. He smiled and said "don't worry about that, it can run everything in the house"... How long? I replied. "for months, but we will be back in a day or two".
                  Of course I started talking and asking questions, my neighbor said that unit like that cost about $20,000.00. HE kinda stopped talking about details but did reply when we have ice storms they are taken by the big brass in his office.
                  My mouth dropped and I went into the house. Noticing that they did not chain it to the deck or anything. (smile) They arrived the next morning before I left for work.. Bummer. I wonder if this was a Magnet Generator. My thoughts were of a chemical degeneration that produces power via heat. It had "HOT" stickers all over it. DO we have any "Power company line men" among us?
                  Last edited by pathfinder3081; 09-25-2009, 01:47 PM.
                  "And with a collection of minds and talent, they survived"

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder3081 View Post
                    Two years ago I had a main ground wire go out on my house. I called Duke power, they came.. Yata yata, one of the main field managers lives in my neighborhood and walked over as the truck pulled up. He knew him by name and started talking. "You gonna get him some power tonight ain't ya?"..
                    Then the field man pulled out a big box attached to a hand truck.. It was about 24"wide x 8" X 30".. He pulled out the meter, plugged in another meter attached to the box and flipped the switch. I told him that I would not run alot of power until they fixed the main ground. He smiled and said "don't worry about that, it can run everything in the house"... How long? I replied. "for months, but we will be back in a day or two".
                    Of course I started talking and asking questions, my neighbor said that unit like that cost about $20,000.00. HE kinda stopped talking about details but did reply when we have ice storms they are taken by the big brass in his office.
                    My mouth dropped and I went into the house. Noticing that they did not chain it to the deck or anything. (smile) They arrived the next morning before I left for work.. Bummer. I wonder if this was a Magnet Generator. My thoughts were of a chemical degeneration that produces power via heat. It had "HOT" stickers all over it. DO we have any "Power company line men" among us?
                    Had it been on my house it would have been "stolen" by some vagrant during the night I am sure :D. I have often thought about (havent figured out yet) about having a barrel of water or anything else heavy attached to a cable high in a tree that falls slowly as it turns a generator, maybe through an old truck transmission and rear end and every day or two, three etc you would have to use an electric winch or come a long to get it back up high. If seclusion of such an item was needed it could be hung over a small tripod and lowered into a hole in the ground. Has anyone ever seen the plans where someone else has built one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by MooseCreek View Post
                      Had it been on my house it would have been "stolen" by some vagrant during the night I am sure :D. I have often thought about (havent figured out yet) about having a barrel of water or anything else heavy attached to a cable high in a tree that falls slowly as it turns a generator, maybe through an old truck transmission and rear end and every day or two, three etc you would have to use an electric winch or come a long to get it back up high. If seclusion of such an item was needed it could be hung over a small tripod and lowered into a hole in the ground. Has anyone ever seen the plans where someone else has built one of these?
                      Sounds similar to a grandfather clock mechanism.....sound theory if you could get the gearing and flywheels right.....
                      "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by mountainman28713 View Post
                        Wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. First thing I learned about these type of outfits was that if their product REALLY worked they would be manufacturing and selling it. But if the product only sounds good on paper then that is what they will sell you, the paper. There are plenty of manufacturers out there that would be willing to build a product of this nature if it worked. There are probably a dozen manufacturers in my area alone that would bend over backwards to build a product of this nature if it worked with little or no investment required by the designers. That tells me that they could't demonstrate a working prototype.

I"ve been conned by these kind of deals before, don't blow your money on something that doesn't work. It's too easy for them to sell you plans, and then when your example doesn't work (should you ever actually complete it) they can just simply say you didn't build it right. Besides, they fulfilled their obligations by sending the plans. They are under no legal obligation to insure that the device works.

Comment

Thanks for your input, ZC, and welcome to XC...head on over to the intro forums and let us know a bit about yourself....

Comment

I checked out the plans..

The package does not have alot of step by step plans. One thing is that you need someone with a mill. There are machine tolerances that must be made. I am confident that the thing will work. But to what degree I have yet to determine. I was shooting the breeze with a cousin about it this past Thanksgiving Day, he said that he would like to see it. He is is a machinest.
                            I'll keep you posted. I will say that as soon as I requested a refund; stating "The plans were not for the Hobbyist of any level and in Blah-blah-blah, I would like a full refund"... I got the refund the next day.
                            "And with a collection of minds and talent, they survived"

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder3081 View Post
                              The package does not have alot of step by step plans. One thing is that you need someone with a mill. There are machine tolerances that must be made. I am confident that the thing will work. But to what degree I have yet to determine. I was shooting the breeze with a cousin about it this past Thanksgiving Day, he said that he would like to see it. He is is a machinest.
                              I'll keep you posted. I will say that as soon as I requested a refund; stating "The plans were not for the Hobbyist of any level and in Blah-blah-blah, I would like a full refund"... I got the refund the next day.
                              Well, I guess that life has made me a skeptic. Keep us posted and if you can't find a machinist willing to work with you let me know. I'm sure we could work something out.

Comment

Cheaper Than Dirt has a hand or foot (can not remember) crank generator. Has been in the catalog for at least a year. Surpluss from Chinese military I think. Not sure what it will run, but I am sure it could be setup to charge a 12v battery bank. Like he wrote in "Patriots," you can require anyone on duty to crank it for x hours a day. I do not think it is a great source of energy, but to suplement a solar or other system, might be worth owning. Price was really cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X