Kerosene/lamp oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerosene/lamp oil

I've purchased a couple new oil lamps and plan on using them now, not just 'in case'. I'm trying to stock up on fuel oil. I bought a couple gallons of citronella, thinking I could mix it with the other fuel oil since it was cheap and does have a nice scent. But the 'ultra pure' kerosene lamp oil at Tractor Supply was $4.99/quart on clearance!! Thats $20/gallon, on clearance!! Is ultra pure really necessary? I'm going to experiment with baby oil, mineral oil, etc. Man, it ainta gonna be cheap to light by lamp light....

Lo~
    Classic Southern defense: "But your Honor, he just NEEDED killin!

check the bottle, but I think citronella should only be used outdoors.

I had some oil lamps for my patio a couple of years ago. what a mess. Never burned cleanly (could be the cheapo brand), awful black soot.
    "Be Excellent to Each Other"

Comment

I agree with Brosia. Don't use citronella indoors. You can, however use bio-diesel. You should not have too much trouble finding someone to sell you what you will need. I have a friend not far from you (coast) that I am sure will sell you what you want. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give it to you. He makes 40 gallons or so at a time.

I found this when I was looking ........

http://www.chemistryland.com/Biodies...nBiodiesel.htm
      JUST CURIOUS? PRUNES ARE DEHYDRATED PLUMS. SO WHERE DOES PRUNE JUICE COME FROM?

Comment

Originally posted by lazer128 View Post
        I agree with Brosia. Don't use citronella indoors. You can, however use bio-diesel. You should not have too much trouble finding someone to sell you what you will need. I have a friend not far from you (coast) that I am sure will sell you what you want. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give it to you. He makes 40 gallons or so at a time.

Vegetable oil should work nicely.

Comment

We have 14 oil lamps with globes, still new, from back when we were going to build a primitive cabin in upstate SC. If the wick is adjusted correctly...they shouldn't soot up. I only bought a few bottles of oil way back then...we've since used all of it up in our outdoor lamps.

Comment

Friggin expensive set up to get less then a gallon of go juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyshakelford View Post
              Friggin expensive set up to get less then a gallon of go juice.
              I wasn't suggesting she make it. Just confirming to her that bio can be used in lieu of lamp oil.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting she make it. Just confirming to her that bio can be used in lieu of lamp oil.
                I toyed with making some in the garage, but after seeing what the initial investment was, I could find a cheaper way to burn my place down. Looks like fun though.

Comment

Ive tried citronella with lamp oil mixed about 1:3 before, and with a regular lamp it doesnt smoke. THe patio lamps that I have, the wick sticks out at least 1/4-1/2", so its going to smoke more. I'm told that the length and smoke is to help keep down the mosquitoes as well as the scent of the citronella. I'll check the back of the bottle on the patio.

Comment

I use white or clear kerosene in all of our oil and kerosene lamps, at least one in every room in the house ( we loose power a lot ). I even picked up an old kerosene kitchen stove that works on craigs list for free plus we have a couple of kerosene space heaters. Up here in ME. NH. MA. VT. you can buy clear kerosene at a lot of gas stations or hardware stores at the pumps or home depot or lowes in 5 gal cans plus oil co will deliver. The up side to kerosene is I can run my farm tractor on it or run my furnace on it and it does not gel up in sub 0 weather. The cost right now is $3.00 per gal. at the pump. The cheapest I have seen lamp oil is $1.49 a quart.

Comment

Yep, I checked the back of the citronella jug and it says 'carcinogen'.. Gee, glad I asked.....

Comment

Kerosene? I remember when you could buy that at gas stations when I was a kid, but I'll bet I haven't seen it in 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RossA View Post
                          Kerosene? I remember when you could buy that at gas stations when I was a kid, but I'll bet I haven't seen it in 40 years.
                          Really? I saw it where I bought diesel today. Real common in this area.

Comment

I've used charcoal lighter in a pinch (after Hurricane Rita-keep the flame low. Yes there is some smell.

Comment

How close is kerosene to Coleman fuel? Could you operate a Coleman lantern or camp stove on Kerosene? We cooked a lot of meals on our Coleman stove after Hurricane Ike. If so, it might be good to have a 5 gallon can (or several) on hand.
                              Also, in a bind, is it possible to use kerosene in a gasoline generator, either straight or mixed with gasoline in order to stretch your supply of gas?
                              Or will this result in one of Rusty's "explosive moments"?
                              Note to self: figure out where to buy kerosene down here nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                              X