Throwing knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing knives

I just browsed all the post in this section and was surprised not to see a thread on throwing knives. ( there may be one and I just missed it ).

Does anyone out there have any throwing knives? I got a set of six about a month ago and have been practicing about 30 to 45 minutes 3 or 4 days a week. I just now got to where I am fairly consistent. Never had any experience with throwing knives before and haven't read anything on how to do it, but from what I have experienced in the last month it seems that proper distance has a lot to do with making the knife "stick".

Click image for larger version

Name:	throwknives2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	190776

This is from about 15 feet.

Sure would appreciate any input from someone with some experience.
    " If you want to live, treat me good " Peter Tosh

Well 10eckid, I have been sitting here wondering on if I really have anything useful to contribute. You see all my experience with throwing blades.. are the shuriken.
    The Hira ... star blade that most of you are familiar with and seen in movies
    or the Bo shuriken (straight skinny spike) which are mostly thrown a totally different way then the knives. And quite frankly those skills are very rusty since I have practiced in a while.

Check this out
    http://www.knifethrowing.info/physic..._throwing.html

In phillipino stick and knife fighting the knife is never thrown .
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Thanks Arak, great article. Comfirmed my suspisions, the correct distance from the target has a lot to do with it.

( See, you did contribute something useful !! Thanks again!)
      " If you want to live, treat me good " Peter Tosh

Comment

I throw a tomahawk every now and again. But my experience with throwing knives is nil.

Comment

I know enough about it to realize that I'm not going to toss an enemy a weapon....cause I suck at throwing knives.

I have a few different models.....and suck at all of them....:(
          Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo2 View Post
            I know enough about it to realize that I'm not going to toss an enemy a weapon....cause I suck at throwing knives.

I have a few different models.....and suck at all of them....:(
            I'm with Echo on that one!! Thats why I carry a 45
            You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

( See, you did contribute something useful !! Thanks again!)
              Your Welcome
              and please dont interpret my my remark incorrectly. I think it could under the right circumstances be a skill that could save your life.
              If someone is trying to kill me from 15 feet away and all I have is a knife.. it would be a good skill to have.
              Just as knowing how to kill with a tightly rolled magazine, a pen/pencil , credit card, belt etc etc. will work under the right conditions and with training.

I trained for many years in Japan and Europe with traditional martial arts weapons. Now all I train with are stick, knife ,gun
              If I am walking down the street. there is little chance that some yahoo is going to jump out with a sword and try to go all highlander on my butt. Nunchuku, sai, jutte, shuriken etc etc are good skills to have BUT impractical since you dont carry them, and can get into trouble with the law if you do ( unless its in my trunk going to or from the dojo)
              On the other hand
              could I get mugged with a gun or knife point... yes very likely. are these good weapons to train with and AGAINST... YES
              Could I break a pool cue in half and make 2 escrima sticks in a bar??? yes
              or a broom handle
              Anyway, you get my point
              Last edited by Arak Zantara; 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arak Zantara View Post
                Your Welcome
                and please dont interpret my my remark incorrectly. I think it could under the right circumstances be a skill that could save your life.
                If someone is trying to kill me from 15 feet away and all I have is a knife.. it would be a good skill to have.
                Just as knowing how to kill with a tightly rolled magazine, a pen/pencil , credit card, belt etc etc. will work under the right conditions and with training.

I trained for many years in Japan and Europe with traditional martial arts weapons. Now all I train with are stick, knife ,gun
                If I am walking down the street. there is little chance that some yahoo is going to jump out with a sword and try to go all highlander on my butt. Nunchuku, sai, jutte, shuriken etc etc are good skills to have BUT impractical since you dont carry them, and can get into trouble with the law if you do ( unless its in my trunk going to or from the dojo)
                On the other hand
                could I get mugged with a gun or knife point... yes very likely. are these good weapons to train with and AGAINST... YES
                or a broom handle
                Anyway, you get my point
                "There can be only one"

Comment

"There can be only one"
                  <3 love it ......My Ninja

Comment

<3 love it ......My Ninja
                    Mad ninja skills....

Comment

Your Welcome

On the other hand
                      or a broom handle
                      Anyway, you get my point
                      Well stated Arak. I totally agree. I enjoy knife throwing and practice frequently. 10cekid, IMHO the length of the knife makes a huge difference. I can't tell from your pic how long your knives are but 7" - 9" knives are easier than 5" - 6". Plus the added weight makes them easier to stick. My distance for one revolution is more in the 10' range. Keep practicing and don't try to "flip" the blade. It will be hard to maintain consistent revolutions with too much wrist action. Try doubling the distance after you get your single revolution throw down. Have fun.
                      "The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience."

Comment

Mad ninja skills....
                        OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that IT ....im done .........bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                        I was laughing so hard from that picture , My buddy on the other side of the house came to check on me .... SNIFF!!.. hhahahahah
                        OH STOP!!!!! * tears rolling out my eyes and getting the keyboard wet * That is the absolute best. OOOO * cant breath* hahahahahahahaha
                        never been blind sided so well in all the years I been on the web ... absolutely PRICELESS!!!
                        OOOO the epitome of home security..... Oh sweet god in heaven..... please make my YEAR, and tell me .... its you !!!!!
                        BwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *choking * ............... Bless you... I sooo needed that :) :) :) :)

Comment

I disavow any knowledge of the identity of the person behind the mask.....

That is all....:)

Comment

I am concerned about the rifle but I am terrified at the plumb launcher
                            NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

This is one time in my life that I am speechless, enjoy it, LMBO
                              Action expresses priorities!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X