New blade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New blade!

So there is no misconceptions here, I bought the blade blank and finished the rest of the work myself. An awesome way to get a killer knife! The steel is 1/8" 1095 Carbon steel, 4.5" working edge and I added the jimping for control. The scales are Birds Eye Maple with really nice figure. I secured the scales with epoxy and 1/8 brass pins. I'm pretty happy with the over all outcome on this. All in all I have about $45.00 into this knife. Not bad at all. My boy is going to get this next week at a BSA Court of Honor. He has earned 9 Merit badges in the last two months and 5 of them were Eagle required. He just finished Nuclear Science yesterday. Smart little critter! Anyway, this is for him.
    Attached Files

Very nice! Both the knife AND your boy.

How/why do you put the 5 little notch/serrations into it?
    "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

Nice work.....the serrations on the spine is to keep you thumb from sliding.....and you can use it on the fire steel.

How long did that take?
      Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Congrats to the son BTW....It's well worth the effort....:)
        Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

Thanks on all points. He is a great kid, my bush buddy! Echo is of course correct about the "jimping". The notches help with cutting control, thumb dosen't slip and it allows for more pressure. All in all, I spent about three hours on this project. It took roughly a half hour to drill the scales out, cut the pins and mount the scales. I used a coping saw, dragon tougue file and dremel to finsih out the final shape of the handle. That part took about 2-2.5 hours over all. It was a blast! This was the first time I took a serious attempt at this. I have two additional blades on the way. A nessmuck type and a rather bushcrafty profile. I have some burled mahogany for the nessmuck and I made some canvass Micarta for the bushy type. Really looking forward to those two. I post pics when those are done. I'm also going to do a small article on making the Micarta.

Comment

Very nice blade, well done, and I'm sure your boy will love it. Great job to him also, make sure you give him a great job from all of us here. Keep up the good work.
            To live is to survive, and to survive is to find meaning into something. Semper Fidelis.

Comment

Great job and congrats to your son!!!!!

The Birds Eye Maple turned out really nice.
              Thanks for posting the pics
              The 12ga.... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Comment

Thanks! My son is amazing. He volunteers in many capacities at Church, excells in school, kicks butt in Scouts and is generally a natural leader. The boys just turned 12! I couldn't be more proud of him! The thing that is truly amazing is that he does all of this of his own free will, nothing has been forced upon him, he just wants to do it. What more can a Dad ask for?

Comment

Great job on the knife!
                  Congrats to you and your son!!
                  " If you want to live, treat me good " Peter Tosh

Comment

good job really topnotch like it a lot
                    NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Working...
                    X