Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a 5.5" or 6" Folder (Heavy Duty)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 5.5" or 6" Folder (Heavy Duty)

Roughly this is what I am looking at: COLD STEEL XL Voyager Clip Point Serrated Edge. However I would kind'a prefer half serrated blade, but that is not super important. I do NOT want the 5" blade. I am not stuck on "Cold Steel" but I do want fairly good quality. Strong lock-up is very important, as is strong and fairly thick blade. I am not strongly stuck on "Clip Point", but this is not a fighting knife, so I would shy away from "Tonto" or "Long Ranger" style blade.

Zero interest in fixed blade, for this application. Prefer lighter weight handle, but still of good quality.

Open to suggestions, on tools I should consider. I 'll likely purchase in the next week or two.

Not sure if you're interested but check out knifekits.com you can find about any kind of knife design or components to build your own. It's not junk stuff, anything from entry to very high end items available

I'm looking to get a very basic lock knife kits for each of my kids to build.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
      Not sure if you're interested but check out knifekits.com you can find about any kind of knife design or components to build your own. It's not junk stuff, anything from entry to very high end items available

I'm looking to get a very basic lock knife kits for each of my kids to build.
      Thanks for the suggestion...........But I want to purchase......not build. Again, thanks

Comment

Sourdough: You might want to check this site: very large selection, and very reasonable prices. I would swear by the Buck 110, but that only has a 3 1/2 inch blade. I have Cold Steel as well, and never been disappointed, but you are looking for a very long blade. Hope you find it.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...30&search.y=10
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Well........... with my head lowered, I am compelled to admit that the 6" is not going to work......just way to long when closed.

So I have lowered my blade length to 4.5 to 5.5 inches. I sure wish I could go to a knife store and handle several.

Comment

Opinel has some in that realm that are very economical and Lord knows they have a great reputation like Mora. on the 4.5" side I think you will find a lot more available including ones from Benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco, Columbia River etc. depending on your budget. Also you might need to better define "thick" for the blade.

I found this site that lets you search by characteristics like blade length. For some reason a lot of the other sites don't which seems dumb to me...

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...=5&max_blade=6

Comment

This one looks pretty cool and has about a 3/16" thick blade that's 5"

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RUG...de-g10-handles

Oh and I see it has a vid showing it and that it's made by CRKT

Several options from Cold Steel - personally I don't think they are what they used to be but at least their prices have dropped in most cases to reflect that.

So maybe that site will help or let you look in a new direction.
              Last edited by CountryGuy; 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

This one looks pretty cool and has about a 3/16" thick blade that's 5"

Oh and I see it has a vid showing it and that it's made by CRKT

Several options from Cold Steel - personally I don't think they are what they used to be but at least their prices have dropped in most cases to reflect that.

So maybe that site will help or let you look in a new direction.
                What do they say about great minds think a like........??? I was up nearly all night researching this knife "Void".

Yes........one of those 5" blade RUGER by: CRKT is likely to get ordered soon. There are two (2) of those RUGER Knives that have 5" blades and are 6 1/4" closed. There is still one (1) Cold Steel in the short list: The SPARTAN.

While I really wanted a longer blade, they require a much longer handle. And an 8.5" and 10.5" handle was just not workable. Thanks for the help.

Comment

SWEET...........but: 11.6 oz.
                  __________________________________________________ _________________

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RUG...uminum-handles

SAME Knife.....Still SWEET........and Only: 5.8 oz. (Big difference) Currently in First Place, coming down the home stretch.
                  __________________________________________________ _________________

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS6...wn-g10-handles Blade 5.5" weight: 8.7 oz. (This knife is very nice.....but a "Long Shot" to beat out the above.)

Comment

No problem and your welcome..

Well with a long thick blade you also get weight for free... lol I did see that second one but I hadn't opened it to look. That is a huge difference in weight.

The 3rd one, I'm not digging the "J" hook handle. Don't think I'd big wearing that. I'd think sitting down it might dig in.

Now for some reason I'm getting the overwhelming urge to buy a folder with a huge blade... lol

Comment

Now for some reason I'm getting the overwhelming urge to buy a folder with a huge blade... lol

What brought this ON for me was the guy getting nibbled to death outside Seattle, WA. by the Mt. Lion.

I told a friend that all he needed was a stout folding knife that the blade would not break-off and he would have likely lived.

So I decided that even though I have a few hundred knives.........I really had a serious "VOID" in the area of a "Designated" Mt. Lion fighting knife.
                      Last edited by Sourdough; 05-24-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Well if you get that you should splurge and get a mt lion laser engraved on it...

Of course my preferred version would be a Nittany Lion...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by CountryGuy; 05-25-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Well the knife just arrived. I have to hike down the mountain to meet the UPS driver, they can't get up here, unless they hike up. I'll do a report after I have used it a bit. My out of the box first impressing is......."BIG".

"BIG and HEAVY" I like the blade shape for Mountain Lion fighting. And if the guy who got mauled to death had this he would have had a very good chance. Then sheath is better then I expected as far as quality, but the belt loop thingie is kind'a light weight.

The knife is HEAVY...........I think there published spec. are flawed. It for sure weighs more then 5.8 oz.

But I may have screwed up......in read the specs. I'll go back and reread them. Overall I am impressed with the quality, but a bit freaked out about the weight.

Comment

Working...
                          X