Expensive vs. Inexpensive Fixed Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive vs. Inexpensive Fixed Blade

I have been looking for a good fixed blade knife. I have several, but wanted to get a REALLY good one. I wanted to get some expert advice here. What is the difference between an inexpensive knife and an expensive knife?

First let's rule out the obvious. I am not talking inexpensive like a $9.99 special that does not have a full tang, and is made out of who knows what kind of metal. I am talking about knives in the $50.00- $80.00 range vs. knives in the $200.00 + range. What makes a $200.00 knife worth $200.00?

Is it 4 times better than a $50.00 knife? Will it last 4 times longer? What will the expensive knife do that the less expensive knife won't do? What kind of things do you look for to know you are getting value?

I would appreciate everybody's input.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

The fixed blade knives I know best are for the kitchen. The main difference between good inexpensive and expensive in this area usually boils down to name brand and looks. IMO this will apply to your fixed blade as well. Regrettably, I have no expertise outside the kitchen so no help there.

Comment

Morgan, like everything it often comes down to "brand" or who the designer was that will add to the cost of a knife. But usually the biggest factors after that are the type of steel and handle materials. Also different style and types of sheaths can come in to play. What do you plan to use this knife for? Tactical, hunting/ skinning, bushcraft, etc.. like lots of tools usually there isn't 1 knife that will do them all the best. So if you don't plan on jumping out of trees to take out the enemy you likely won't need the huge Rambo knife with a 14" blade. If your looking for a bush/ camp knife there are all kinds of things you take in to consideration that you wouldn't if you were looking strictly at a gut/ skinning knife. Now also how are you going to take care of your knife, the blade and steel and the edge. I have a Kabar, an AK47 bayonet, I have some bucks(hunting) and I would like to get a Benchmade Nimravus but the almost $200 price tag and the fact it's a want not need keep it at the store. Go to some of the knife maker sites as lots of them have info to research on the different steels, blade styles and design features. Also loads of different styles depending on what u like. You might also want to see if there are any local custom smiths that might make you something you exactly want. At the end of the day you might want a good quality larger bush knife around $50-75 to beat and abuse around camp or whatever and maybe a great quality hunting and skinning knife to take care of the fine and delicate work.
      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Morgan,

Country pretty much hit the nail on the head. As with any other art or craft, custom made knives are priced by the demand of the market. I have owned good and bad blades on both ends of the price spectrum. The biggest difference was, if a cheap blade broke I was just out of the money. If a custom blade broke the maker would make it right with me.

What type of blade are you looking for? There are a number of makers that produce excellent blades and actually don't charge a fortune. Chris Reeve, Melvin Dunn http://www.dunnknives.com/largeskinningknives.html, or non-custom such as Randall's ESEE Knives http://www.eseeknives.com/

Hope this helps. Nice being back.

Dale

Comment

I purchased a Randall a number of years ago for use in the military and for hunting/camping. It has lasted and is still usable even today (30+) years. Ask if I would trade it. Never.

I've used some commercial knives short term but the blades either break, bend, or crack. Why because I use them hard. That is the final answer either purchase once in a life time or many over your life time.

I plan on giving my knife to my grandson (SEAL) when he is home on leave late this year.

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. I will let you know how I come out.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Google and read customer reviews.
              https://sharpenedknife.com/best-survival-knife/

Just one of many site to consider.
              My thoughts are buy the best you can afford.
              Same with firearms.
              I'd get two in case one gets lost.
              So many toys, so little money. <:(

Comment

Schrade Extreme Survival SCHF10 Fixed Blade Knife (5.3" Black)

Case Sodbuster Knife 4.625" Yellow Synthetic (3138 CV) 038

Lansky Arkansas Bench Stone Sharpener 2" x 6" (Hard)

These I just ordered tonight and will be on the way.

Firearms and ammo I'm quite good on.

Quality knives I'm only o.k. on thus beefing up my goods a bit.

And ammo and med supplies and.....................so many goodies and so little money!
                A ten buck knife is worth exactly nothing but one need not spend $200 bucks on
                a good working knife.
                Just be sure you know how to care for and sharpen the blades.
                Plenty of info on the web.
                Never before in our human history has so much useful info been available to us.
                ( or so much garbage! )

Comment

http://www.bladehq.com/

A blade online source that I use.
                  See what you think.

Two of what I ordered and should be on the way.

I also favor Cold Steel products.

Comment

$53.98

$30.98

https://www.bladehq.com

Just one of many web places to shop.

Also google knife sharpening tools and stones.

Comment

So how'd you make out?

Comment

I ended up getting a K BAR fixed blade and a Kershaw folder. I looked at a million knives, and ended up finding these at a gun store. Go figure. They had a really nice selection, and everything was in my price range. It is a fairly new purchase so I haven't really put it through its paces. I am happy with the feel, the sheath, and the edge. The real deal maker/breaker was realistically deciding on why I wanted it.

It is most likely going to be used for hiking and camping tasks. The bag I keep it in is more of a day hike situation, so I opted away from the really big Bowie type stuff. Not likely I will ever use it to bataan. This should fit my needs, and I am happy with it. If anything changes I will let you know

Comment

Sounds like you found something that fits you and what you need.
                          I own a few high $ customs and a lot of production knives. In my experience when you start paying over $200 for a knife the $ to quality ratio begins to drop. For example a knife that is 2 times better costs 5 times as much. There are some very good but very expensive knives out there. And some very expensive but not so good knives. For the most part the super steels are not "better enough" to justify the high price tag in my opinion. Where the big $ knives shine through is in handle construction. If you are going to be using your knife for several hours at a time a good comfortable handle may be worth the extra money.
                          Enjoy your Ka-Bar and Kershaw.
                          SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE

Comment

So you want to know about knives. I have owned and used a RANDALL No. 1 knife for over 40 years now. That includes using it as a member of the military for 21 years and numerous camping/ hunting trip throughout my life time.

The knife company is family owned and run here in Florida. You can get a catalog from them with a lot of information about types of steel, styles, grind, and cost. Most of these knives are over $200.00. But a one time buy is still the best buy.

Use your tax return money for a purchase that you will hand down to your kids when they grow up. I'm given mine to my grandson who is a SEAL. So now I have to purchase another one and again it will be a RANDALL!

Comment

I'm looking at this one.
                              https://www.smkw.com/buck-120-genera...ondwood-handle

Buck General: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buck-Kniv...dwood/42364042

$61 bucks or thereabouts.
                              Yeah it's made in China and I hate that.
                              Anyone got suggestions? Please suggest as I'm not in a burning hurry but I do want
                              one in the next few weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X