X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RICHFL
    replied
    My group choice was MN due to the location was near family owned farms. We wanted to have our extended family/group all within calling distance if needed.
    We wanted a working farm that could support our group of 66 people. (We now can handle that and more)
    We wanted it to be rural. It is 15+/- miles from any major hi-way, 18+/- miles from a small town. That is a 2 day ride by horse and wagon. I know - I did it last summer.
    We wanted 4 seasons for fishing and hunting.

Leave a comment:

• CrazeeMomma4
    replied
    I honestly think its up to what you are used too. I don't want to be anywhere near where it snows! That's one prep I don't want to bother with. Granted I'm SE Texas and my bug out location is S TX. My location has natural Spring Rivers that are cold to help beat our TX summers. Tons and tons of woods, wildlife and semi mountainous. Nothing that gets snow capped. Heat would be the only issue but we are used to here and we know how to combat it. Tons of cactus which is great for catching water if needed. Oh and it's low low low population...

Leave a comment:

• Gravitytester
    replied
    When I was in the Army, I looked in to buying land in Charles Town WV. I kick myself to this day for not doing it. The only drawback is it is still only a hour and half away from DC so that concerned me. I like WV and is on my short list of places to move. The mountains of NC are still at the top. NC is my home state and it has a sentimental calling. The other places are Eastern TN and western VA. I am drawn to the mountain areas. I think it offers the most in way of natural resources and tactical advantages as well.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    Not a liberal by any means Jez. More Conservative. NY would not be my idea of a good place to live. Still would rather move up toward WV if only hubby could make the move there with no problems. Our being in our 60's and 70's put a strain on what we can do. I am just glad that with hubby's medical problems, he can still put in a small garden. He chopped up kindling today and that surprised me as I did not think he had the strength to be able to swing the ax. He did pretty good for an old guy. Now if I could just teach him to dust and wash dishes. Ha! Ha!

Leave a comment:

• marineguy
    replied
    Originally posted by dalewick View Post
    AJ,

Come on up to WV. The taxes are way better than VA's and land is cheaper. Hunting and fishing is better and our liscense are cheaper ($35.00 to hunt & fish for the year). Some places wher you can still purchas a couple acres for $10,000. or less.

Dale
    Under 10,000? Although maybe not the ideal place, in NY State you can buy 30 acres bordering state land, with no neighbors for less than $1000 an acre. I'm not going to even try and defend NY,we all know how screwed up the "system" is but upstate NY is pretty big and there are still places no man has set foot. Its far enough away from NYC and pleenty of preppers, survivalists, outdoorsmen, and woodsmen who are going to hunker down and not try to reach another state. Pistol laws suck but the Long Gun laws still make it a u 6-7 out of 10 for needed equipment. Now New Jersey is screwed, they need a license even for a shotgun or (from what I hear) ammo.

Leave a comment:

• jezcruzen
    replied
    No offense meant, Applejack. I don't think you are a Washington liberal.

I lived in Norfolk - in Oceanview. We have family in Chesapeake. They can tell you anything about sports or some other useless information but know nothing of any real value. (When they are here, and eat a meal with us, the first thing they want to know is if I put any deer meat or other wild game on the plate. They think its nasty!) I know the area pretty well and it is a rat race.

Dale has a point. WV is one of those "really good places". Virginia is being over run. In the old days, I think some would say that "gooks are in the wire".

Leave a comment:

• dalewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    Gee thanks for naming my area a rat race. unfortantly you are right. but I stay out of norfolk, and va beach. can't stand those area. we are on the outskirts of it all but the town is moving our way. We almost made it up your way. (rats) but we are still looking around. Our family here except for our children have all died off now. Hubby has a couple of cousins but they are not on board and he won't discuss anything with them because of how they are. They are all good people one has money and thinks nothing will happen, the other 2 are just to feeble to do anything. But I know they all have there guns and ammo for protection. Kids want to move out with us and they were ready to make that move up past Lynchburg. My daughter and son in law are looking now for farmland and to get farther away from here. They are in the process now of getting there house ready to put on the market. we will be out helping them to look as we all may move to the location they decide on.
    AJ
    AJ,

Come on up to WV. The taxes are way better than VA's and land is cheaper. Hunting and fishing is better and our liscense are cheaper ($35.00 to hunt & fish for the year). Some places wher you can still purchas a couple acres for $10,000. or less.

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    Gee thanks for naming my area a rat race. unfortantly you are right. but I stay out of norfolk, and va beach. can't stand those area. we are on the outskirts of it all but the town is moving our way. We almost made it up your way. (rats) but we are still looking around. Our family here except for our children have all died off now. Hubby has a couple of cousins but they are not on board and he won't discuss anything with them because of how they are. They are all good people one has money and thinks nothing will happen, the other 2 are just to feeble to do anything. But I know they all have there guns and ammo for protection. Kids want to move out with us and they were ready to make that move up past Lynchburg. My daughter and son in law are looking now for farmland and to get farther away from here. They are in the process now of getting there house ready to put on the market. we will be out helping them to look as we all may move to the location they decide on.
    AJ

Leave a comment:

• jezcruzen
    replied
    There might not be a "best place", but there obviously are a lot of really good places scattered about all around the country. If I may, here is what I think is some criteria to consider for one of those really good places - good water year-round. A reasonably good growing season where the ground warms up enough and is fertile enough to grow a wide range of edibles. A moderate climate that isn't too hard on man or beast and seldom has temperature extremes. Friendly, independent-minded people of the Christian faith that also have a sense of community and a willingness to help their neighbors. More than one gas tank distant from large population centers. Distant from nuclear plants, military bases, and large airports. Abundant fish and wildlife, including larger game animals. Small family farms and ranches. If you live in a place where you have all, or even most, of that you are probably already in a good location. Often the grass looks greener elsewhere, but that old saying that we really never appreciate what we have until its gone might play here, too.
    I live in a place that has much of that criteria - South Central Virginia. Unfortunately, it is changing at a rapid rate, and not for the better. Washington liberals dominate the northern part of the state and have been creeping south for decades. Many relocate here to "get out of the rat race", buy up land or a McMansion and then stick their noses into local politics, school boards, and the like and begin making here more like where the hell they ran away from! The east (Tidewater) part of the state is consumed with military bases and is one big megalopolos from the Dismal Swamp on the Carolina line all the way up to Baltimore for the most part. If you like traffic, strip malls, fast-food joints, car dealerships, convenience stores, gas stations, condos, apartment complexes, and the like, then this area is for you. Of course, that also describes NOVA.
    I view it this way... each of us needs to be able to adapt and flourish wherever we currently are. We can dream about relocating, but the truth is most simply cannot walk away from a job/career they have invested years into, leave elderly family members, or simply don't have the cash because it takes a LOT of cash, and we all may be running out of time. If you really are going to do it, you had better get a move on cause the speed in which this economy is going down is staggering!
    Me? I'm sticking.. for now. My MIL is dying of cancer. Both my parents are elderly. I can't abandon them. I won't abandon them.

Leave a comment:

• big al
    replied
    I am stuck in NYC for the time being but once I am ready - I was considering Maine (cheap land and more trees than people)

There are plenty of arguments to be west of the Mississippi and although I haven't been out there - Montana and Idaho look like pretty good bets too

I have friends in Eastern Tennessee who swear by it - like someone said above , the older I get the less I can handle cold winters (and this winter has been pretty mild)

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    I think now that if I were to move it would be WV. it would be closer to my cousins and we know a VA state cop that moved there on the VA WVA line and he said they love it there. he moved there from where we are for his job. He got transferred. great country area and not a lot around where he is.
    AJ

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    A lot depends upon what kind of weather conditions you can take. When I was young I loved the north part of the country, with plenty of snow. But now I love the mid south: Tn, KY, beautiful country and the weather isn't to cold or hot. And the people are great. I know I will never be considered a southerner but the people will except u if you except their way of life and don't bring any of the northern ideas with you.

Leave a comment:

• flyvemaskin
    replied
    I've lived in Arizona all my life along the AZ/NM border area. I think anyplace lightly populated and with water is a good place to live off the land. In one of these we have a home in the mountains, and get enough sun to grow a garden, good water, a well 100 ft deep, water level about 20 ft down. Septic tanks and bunker as well as a nice home. So I'll be there. I love the forest and know how to live there, grew up there to. So I'd say anyplace a person is comfortable at is ok. There must be great places in most states to do this.

Leave a comment:

• mtnlioness
    replied
    We do have a couple of small solar panels for battery recharging. Probably not enough for much of anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Big Guy
    replied
    I will stay in Northern Middle Tennessee or possibly South Central Kentucky.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X