This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    Gee thanks for naming my area a rat race. unfortantly you are right. but I stay out of norfolk, and va beach. can't stand those area. we are on the outskirts of it all but the town is moving our way. We almost made it up your way. (rats) but we are still looking around. Our family here except for our children have all died off now. Hubby has a couple of cousins but they are not on board and he won't discuss anything with them because of how they are. They are all good people one has money and thinks nothing will happen, the other 2 are just to feeble to do anything. But I know they all have there guns and ammo for protection. Kids want to move out with us and they were ready to make that move up past Lynchburg. My daughter and son in law are looking now for farmland and to get farther away from here. They are in the process now of getting there house ready to put on the market. we will be out helping them to look as we all may move to the location they decide on.
    AJ
    AJ,

Come on up to WV. The taxes are way better than VA's and land is cheaper. Hunting and fishing is better and our liscense are cheaper ($35.00 to hunt & fish for the year). Some places wher you can still purchas a couple acres for $10,000. or less.

Dale

Comment

No offense meant, Applejack. I don't think you are a Washington liberal.

I lived in Norfolk - in Oceanview. We have family in Chesapeake. They can tell you anything about sports or some other useless information but know nothing of any real value. (When they are here, and eat a meal with us, the first thing they want to know is if I put any deer meat or other wild game on the plate. They think its nasty!) I know the area pretty well and it is a rat race.

Dale has a point. WV is one of those "really good places". Virginia is being over run. In the old days, I think some would say that "gooks are in the wire".

Comment

Originally posted by dalewick View Post
        AJ,

Come on up to WV. The taxes are way better than VA's and land is cheaper. Hunting and fishing is better and our liscense are cheaper ($35.00 to hunt & fish for the year). Some places wher you can still purchas a couple acres for $10,000. or less.

Dale
        Under 10,000? Although maybe not the ideal place, in NY State you can buy 30 acres bordering state land, with no neighbors for less than $1000 an acre. I'm not going to even try and defend NY,we all know how screwed up the "system" is but upstate NY is pretty big and there are still places no man has set foot. Its far enough away from NYC and pleenty of preppers, survivalists, outdoorsmen, and woodsmen who are going to hunker down and not try to reach another state. Pistol laws suck but the Long Gun laws still make it a u 6-7 out of 10 for needed equipment. Now New Jersey is screwed, they need a license even for a shotgun or (from what I hear) ammo.
        The Marine Corps doesn't build Character, they Reveal It. F.& A.M.

Comment

Not a liberal by any means Jez. More Conservative. NY would not be my idea of a good place to live. Still would rather move up toward WV if only hubby could make the move there with no problems. Our being in our 60's and 70's put a strain on what we can do. I am just glad that with hubby's medical problems, he can still put in a small garden. He chopped up kindling today and that surprised me as I did not think he had the strength to be able to swing the ax. He did pretty good for an old guy. Now if I could just teach him to dust and wash dishes. Ha! Ha!

Comment

When I was in the Army, I looked in to buying land in Charles Town WV. I kick myself to this day for not doing it. The only drawback is it is still only a hour and half away from DC so that concerned me. I like WV and is on my short list of places to move. The mountains of NC are still at the top. NC is my home state and it has a sentimental calling. The other places are Eastern TN and western VA. I am drawn to the mountain areas. I think it offers the most in way of natural resources and tactical advantages as well.
            Anyone that would give up freedom for security, deserves neither. ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

I honestly think its up to what you are used too. I don't want to be anywhere near where it snows! That's one prep I don't want to bother with. Granted I'm SE Texas and my bug out location is S TX. My location has natural Spring Rivers that are cold to help beat our TX summers. Tons and tons of woods, wildlife and semi mountainous. Nothing that gets snow capped. Heat would be the only issue but we are used to here and we know how to combat it. Tons of cactus which is great for catching water if needed. Oh and it's low low low population...
              "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing..." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." ~Benjamin Franklin

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." ~Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My group choice was MN due to the location was near family owned farms. We wanted to have our extended family/group all within calling distance if needed.
                We wanted a working farm that could support our group of 66 people. (We now can handle that and more)
                We wanted it to be rural. It is 15+/- miles from any major hi-way, 18+/- miles from a small town. That is a 2 day ride by horse and wagon. I know - I did it last summer.
                We wanted 4 seasons for fishing and hunting.

Comment

Working...
                X