• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	186788well, i am staying put. have way too much to leave. my fight starts at my gate, hope the world just goes on by, i wont die tired.
    Last edited by claymore; 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

TN for me...I have lived in many places and like TN real well...
      "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

That Government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.

— Thomas Jefferson

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

— Abraham Lincoln

I was so embarrassed today. I got caught peeing in the pool. When the lifeguard yelled at me I jumped and damn near fell in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My vote is for Texas also. But I prefer Central Texas. Rolling green hills, LOTS of streams that rarely dry up. All kinds of ponds and lakes, Big oak trees, and lots of wildlife. And best of all there's plenty of places "in the middle of nowhere" a person could get "lost" in. The weather is really mild all seasons but summer (hot as hell) but plenty of water in the region. Looking at buying a 5 acre piece out there darn cheap. And utilities are not an option unless you drill your own well and use solar. (Perfect!)

Comment

Originally posted by SHTFnTX View Post
          My vote is for Texas also. But I prefer Central Texas. Rolling green hills, LOTS of streams that rarely dry up. All kinds of ponds and lakes, Big oak trees, and lots of wildlife. And best of all there's plenty of places "in the middle of nowhere" a person could get "lost" in. The weather is really mild all seasons but summer (hot as hell) but plenty of water in the region. Looking at buying a 5 acre piece out there darn cheap. And utilities are not an option unless you drill your own well and use solar. (Perfect!)
          What would you define as 'Central Texas'? Could you narrow that down to some obvious landmarks or maybe a list of counties? Sounds beautiful and we're looking at relocating. Thanks

Comment

We have friends that recently moved to Virginia because of the weather and the people they had come to know down there. It is tempting to think about living in an area that the growing season is longer but my heart and knowledge is based in NE. We have enough space to do the things we need to do, the basics covered and are far enough away from the populated areas to be not worth the hassel. Heck....we drive by our own place about half the time after going to town for supplies. LOL no no kidding. Granted it is damn cold in the winter but with the trees, axes, saws (chain and two man crosscut) splitter and the old fashioned black powder wedge the warmth is covered. I'd like to believe when it gets cold enough the people that are hurting will head south. The area we are in is far enough above sea level to be reasonably safe and the prevailing winds take anything south of us out to sea. EMP oh well.......back to the old days in a big way. Ham radio to come out eventually along with the other things safely put away.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnlioness View Post
              We have friends that recently moved to Virginia because of the weather and the people they had come to know down there. It is tempting to think about living in an area that the growing season is longer but my heart and knowledge is based in NE. We have enough space to do the things we need to do, the basics covered and are far enough away from the populated areas to be not worth the hassel. Heck....we drive by our own place about half the time after going to town for supplies. LOL no no kidding. Granted it is damn cold in the winter but with the trees, axes, saws (chain and two man crosscut) splitter and the old fashioned black powder wedge the warmth is covered. I'd like to believe when it gets cold enough the people that are hurting will head south. The area we are in is far enough above sea level to be reasonably safe and the prevailing winds take anything south of us out to sea. EMP oh well.......back to the old days in a big way. Ham radio to come out eventually along with the other things safely put away.
              You could always store a couple of solar panels in a metal c-van. I would think they would survive.

Will
              CITIZEN by BIRTH
              AMERICAN by CHOICE
              NRA PATRON MEMBER by NECESSITY

Comment

I purposely chose KY and moved here from TN almost 10 years ago.

You get the same people, the same climate, almost the same economic structure.

You do not have major cities with their liberal politics controlling the state government or the overflow of city people into the rural areas as the cities sprawl. Rural standards control the state legislature. None of our cities is even half the size of Nashville or Memphis so ther voting block will never prevail over common sense.

You therefore have a conservitive legal system that is much more rural home owner friendly. Zoning laws are only applied in extreme cases of flagerant violation or on new construction.

Raising a garden is expected. Hunting is also expected. Camo is our state color (No kiddng, our Walmarts have a womens' section in the hunting clothes isle).

Open carry has ALWAYS been legal in KY. CCW permits are SHALL ISSUE.

The only downside is that part of the state borders IL and OH. Their citizens try to escape to here without realizing it is a different world. My new neighbors from OH called the police because they saw a coyote in their yard. We live in a rural area and they are terribly upset because it has been almost a month and no police have appeared to save them. I explained that the police do not answer "varmit in the yard calls" because the varmit would be gone before they arrived. We were expected to take care of thse simple matters without costing the county money. Rather than buying a gun and learning to use it they are moving back to "ciilization" where their poodle will be safe.

Comment

I will stay in Northern Middle Tennessee or possibly South Central Kentucky.

Comment

We do have a couple of small solar panels for battery recharging. Probably not enough for much of anything else.

Comment

I've lived in Arizona all my life along the AZ/NM border area. I think anyplace lightly populated and with water is a good place to live off the land. In one of these we have a home in the mountains, and get enough sun to grow a garden, good water, a well 100 ft deep, water level about 20 ft down. Septic tanks and bunker as well as a nice home. So I'll be there. I love the forest and know how to live there, grew up there to. So I'd say anyplace a person is comfortable at is ok. There must be great places in most states to do this.

Comment

A lot depends upon what kind of weather conditions you can take. When I was young I loved the north part of the country, with plenty of snow. But now I love the mid south: Tn, KY, beautiful country and the weather isn't to cold or hot. And the people are great. I know I will never be considered a southerner but the people will except u if you except their way of life and don't bring any of the northern ideas with you.
                        Be prepared; Some thing is going to happen

Comment

I think now that if I were to move it would be WV. it would be closer to my cousins and we know a VA state cop that moved there on the VA WVA line and he said they love it there. he moved there from where we are for his job. He got transferred. great country area and not a lot around where he is.
                          AJ

Comment

I am stuck in NYC for the time being but once I am ready - I was considering Maine (cheap land and more trees than people)

There are plenty of arguments to be west of the Mississippi and although I haven't been out there - Montana and Idaho look like pretty good bets too

I have friends in Eastern Tennessee who swear by it - like someone said above , the older I get the less I can handle cold winters (and this winter has been pretty mild)

Comment

There might not be a "best place", but there obviously are a lot of really good places scattered about all around the country. If I may, here is what I think is some criteria to consider for one of those really good places - good water year-round. A reasonably good growing season where the ground warms up enough and is fertile enough to grow a wide range of edibles. A moderate climate that isn't too hard on man or beast and seldom has temperature extremes. Friendly, independent-minded people of the Christian faith that also have a sense of community and a willingness to help their neighbors. More than one gas tank distant from large population centers. Distant from nuclear plants, military bases, and large airports. Abundant fish and wildlife, including larger game animals. Small family farms and ranches. If you live in a place where you have all, or even most, of that you are probably already in a good location. Often the grass looks greener elsewhere, but that old saying that we really never appreciate what we have until its gone might play here, too.
                              I live in a place that has much of that criteria - South Central Virginia. Unfortunately, it is changing at a rapid rate, and not for the better. Washington liberals dominate the northern part of the state and have been creeping south for decades. Many relocate here to "get out of the rat race", buy up land or a McMansion and then stick their noses into local politics, school boards, and the like and begin making here more like where the hell they ran away from! The east (Tidewater) part of the state is consumed with military bases and is one big megalopolos from the Dismal Swamp on the Carolina line all the way up to Baltimore for the most part. If you like traffic, strip malls, fast-food joints, car dealerships, convenience stores, gas stations, condos, apartment complexes, and the like, then this area is for you. Of course, that also describes NOVA.
                              I view it this way... each of us needs to be able to adapt and flourish wherever we currently are. We can dream about relocating, but the truth is most simply cannot walk away from a job/career they have invested years into, leave elderly family members, or simply don't have the cash because it takes a LOT of cash, and we all may be running out of time. If you really are going to do it, you had better get a move on cause the speed in which this economy is going down is staggering!
                              Me? I'm sticking.. for now. My MIL is dying of cancer. Both my parents are elderly. I can't abandon them. I won't abandon them.

Comment

Gee thanks for naming my area a rat race. unfortantly you are right. but I stay out of norfolk, and va beach. can't stand those area. we are on the outskirts of it all but the town is moving our way. We almost made it up your way. (rats) but we are still looking around. Our family here except for our children have all died off now. Hubby has a couple of cousins but they are not on board and he won't discuss anything with them because of how they are. They are all good people one has money and thinks nothing will happen, the other 2 are just to feeble to do anything. But I know they all have there guns and ammo for protection. Kids want to move out with us and they were ready to make that move up past Lynchburg. My daughter and son in law are looking now for farmland and to get farther away from here. They are in the process now of getting there house ready to put on the market. we will be out helping them to look as we all may move to the location they decide on.
                                AJ

Comment

Working...
                                X