This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Region or State to start over Live off the Land & Homestead

Let's hear what you feel is the Best Region or State to start over Live off the Land & Homestead

Share why for example Specifics about the weather, the terrain, the soil, the water, the natural occurring wild edibles, modes of transportation available, types of timber, location in relation to potential disaster & targets etc, and other resources

If you live there feel free to include pics so that people can get a feel for what the vibe is and what you're talking about

If it comes down to a few of the same locations over and over I will put up a poll

AND GO
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

I'm shocked that nobody has responded to this thread. Personally, I think the Tenn/Kentucky area to be a prime spot. Unfortunately, I feel that many people around the country feel the same way, unless your fear is the New Madrid fault. Even then, the east side of those states offer a lot. The Ozarks also offer up some good turf. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan has a lot to offer, but most people will shy away from the extreme weather conditions there. There are other areas too, but let's hear what others have to say.

Comment

There is a reason why I live where I do in Western CO. & forgive me if I don't devulge too much info about this great place, but I don't want the whole world moving here. Then again there a lot of other great places here on Western slope of CO. We have a long growing season, various crops, ussally very mellow winters, 2 rivers, all the hunting,fishing & hicking you want within about an hour (by ehicle) any which way you go. To me this is one the best places in CO, except that it keeps growing.

Comment

I can tell you it's not New York! Between taxes, gun/knife laws and crooked politicians...stay the hell away! I am interested as well in the other state responses!

TNap
        TNap

================================================== ====================

"If your not Always prepared...your Never prepared! - AF

Comment

Originally posted by TNap View Post
          I can tell you it's not New York! Between taxes, gun/knife laws and crooked politicians...stay the hell away! I am interested as well in the other state responses!

TNap
          It's not Illinois either for the same reasons. I have a job that affords me the ability to live pretty much where I want, as long as I have internet and a descent sized airport to fly out of. So...We're moving to the Lake of the Ozarks area of MO as soon as my son graduates HS. Summers around the lake can be very touristy but the year round folks are good people. Just a few mile from the lake is plenty of cheap rural land with good timber, water, hunting, fishing etc. Growing season for the garden as well as wild edibles are much the same as I'm used to with winter being somewhat milder. Speaking of which, the weather, severe and otherwise, is much the same as we're used to also. I guess the New Madrid fault could be a concern but we'd be out of the 50 mile radius of the closest nuclear plant and not downwind.
          Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

What skills do you have? If you can handle a small farm then Tenn, MN, or Wis has a lot of places to look at.

Comment

I'm amazed no one has said Texas yet. We live in Amarillo and I work about an hour away so I see a lot of the panhandle. Lots of open space to get away from people, and cattle to poach should SHTF. the weather is very livable. It doesn't get too cold and only hits 0 deg for short times. Winter is very moderate and fall spring are beautiful. Summer is hot and dry though so being near a lake would help and we've got a few of those within a couple hours drive.

For naturally grown foods you would probably need to go south and drop in elevation for that. We are at 3500 feet and somewhat barren like New Mexico.

The people are the main reason we like it here. We've been at our house less than 3 years and the neighbors are like family now and we are all getting ready for teotwawki.

Comment

Middle Tennessee is the place to be, no doubt about it. Plenty of everything you need to survive.

Comment

Well I can attest to the extremely cold winters in the U.P. but if you prepare properly, it is a wonderland. Lots of game, fishing, fresh spring water, fishing & tons of timber! Plus it isn't very populated. The summers are beautiful, if it is 90* during the day, it cools down to 60* at night which makes for great sleeping after a hot day. One drawback is the growing season but many are able to grow enough for the winter food stores. Personally, unless I get a better idea, this is where we are staying, just not in this townhouse if I can help it!
                  Action expresses priorities!!!!!!

Comment

If I had to choose to go to another state (assuming shtf) I would head for the Northern Lower Peninsula, I'd go back to Hale, Michigan. For the same reason Zany would stay in the U.P..

Comment

I currently have a main residence in Florida, a small farm in MN and we are looking to N Utah or SW Idaho for a secure area. Why location well above sea level, not an earthquake/volcano zone, 4 seasons, good water, hunting, fishing, and a lot less people per mile! We feel that this area will be able to be secured for our usage. State/local political issues NONE!

Comment

I was lucky enough to be born in the middle of the Missouri Ozarks I now live near the twin Lakes. Of Truman and Lake of the Ozarks what used to be farming as the main economy has changed over to tourism and retirement developments still a lot of woods, and good hunting and fishing some areas have good soil for farming and gardening some not so much I still raised pretty good crop in between the rocks
                        WE DIDN'T BELIEVE THOSE WHO HAD SWORN TO KILL US 9-11-01

Comment

Being 20 year military i have lived all over.....I'm from western NC, and love the area, but it has become extremely liberal and such. Now i've settled down in the rockies of Colorado.....It's tough to beat

Comment

I'm hoping to relocate in a couple of years. My first pick is Tennessee, then Kentucky. If it were just me and not the wife as well I would be living in Louisiana (sp). I need to have the warm weather, but I also want forests, mountains, and plenty of lakes and rivers. Not too much to ask for is it LOL.

Joe
                            SEMPER PARATUS

Comment

I'd have to say northern new mexico for me. I know the mountains up there pretty good. Lots of places someone could disappear and start fresh. Plenty of hunting and fishing up there also.

Comment

Working...
                              X