Constantly Upgrading.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantly Upgrading.....

One of the first mistakes I made when I decided to dive headlong into the BoB arts involved build-up.

I had a good list of what I thought I should have, a couple of great packs, and would fill my packs as my list was fulfilled.

If you check out my post: "Buggin' out...", you'll see that I tend to lean toward some hard-to-find or quality items, ie. wool or synthetic thermals over cotton cheapos and tactical pants over jeans, or wool socks over cotton ones.

I would only stock my bag as the individual items were procured. Looking back, now I see where I failed....what if something had happened while I was waiting for my shiny new mil-spec tactical pants to arrive? I would have been staring at a half-empty bag, that I could have put a couple of pairs of Levis in until my preferred equipment was available to replace it.

Bottom line is, if you don't have any good wool socks yet, pack the cheap cotton ones from your drawer for now. If you have yet to find or receive that great quality hunting knife you've been looking for, at least throw a cheap folder in there, or even a cheap butcher knife w/a cardboard sheath.

Your BoB isn't a BoB unless it's ready to go right now... five minutes ago.... yesterday.

Scrape, scrounge, and hit the yard sales and thrift stores, or look in your own garage or attic. Preparedness is about what you can do with it, not how shiny it is.

Just my $0.02
    "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

that's really Very true man, good post
    WHAT IF THE AMERICA YOU KNEW, WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE?

The best thing you can do to support the site is pass it on to your friends and fav sites like other forums, facebook, twitter etc. Let people know about us! :)

Comment

I created a small BoB to begin with, and it contained simple items I picked up at local stores around my area. Simple canvas flap-top backpack with some menial items and realized I had not shoved any clothing in there. Back to the store I went for a larger hikers pack, this one including a place on either side to carry a rifle. I loaded it with my respective items, and threw in some clothes. It still seems to be missing some stuff.

I've gone as far as to incorporate a plastic gold-pan with the intention that I may be able to scrounge up enough gold wherever I end up to use in trade, then it occurred to me...how am I going to boil the water off and pool the gold dust in a plastic pan?

My BoB is constantly changing as new ideas present themselves.
      "Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." "The things you own end up owning you"-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Visinedrops View Post
        I created a small BoB to begin with, and it contained simple items I picked up at local stores around my area. Simple canvas flap-top backpack with some menial items and realized I had not shoved any clothing in there. Back to the store I went for a larger hikers pack, this one including a place on either side to carry a rifle. I loaded it with my respective items, and threw in some clothes. It still seems to be missing some stuff.

I've gone as far as to incorporate a plastic gold-pan with the intention that I may be able to scrounge up enough gold wherever I end up to use in trade, then it occurred to me...how am I going to boil the water off and pool the gold dust in a plastic pan?

My BoB is constantly changing as new ideas present themselves.
        Yeah, if you're not evolving, you're becoming extinct.....good post.
        "I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Yeah, I have the same problem... I am constantly evolving my bag as I find something new, or find something that doesn't work as planned...

later,
          ZA

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to
          beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Axe View Post
            Yeah, I have the same problem... I am constantly evolving my bag as I find something new, or find something that doesn't work as planned...
            The important thing, though, is to pack the dang thing with whatever you can use, for now, and make it as ready as possible, while you capitalize on opportunities to evolve. Over time, animals don't just quit "being" until they find a better way...they do the best with what they have, until they learn something more efficient...then they discard the old, and upgrade.

Comment

good post.

My BoB is not well thought-out, I just realized that I will be running around naked :eek: I do not have spare clothes.
              "Be Excellent to Each Other"

Comment

Originally posted by Brosia View Post
                good post.

My BoB is not well thought-out, I just realized that I will be running around naked :eek: I do not have spare clothes.
                Remember the basics necessities of living:

Food/Water
                Clothing
                Shelter
                Fire

Everything else follows.....

Comment

I know this is an old post but... it's still a good subject. I have a small BoB in my car for my daily commute, and have been collecting stuff in the house for a better (bigger) one, including a bunch of food items to make the homemade MREs shown (by Mags I think) in some other posts. It's been too easy to be sidetracked by 'life' lately. Reading this thread was just the kick I need to get moving on that. With a 65 mile commute (one way) I'd be up the creek with the little BoB I have now. It's high priority now!

Comment

I am glad this post was brought back to the front. I am working on my BOB for home and vehicles (basically starting out). I have been putting off on buying a bag or pack until I get all the items I want to put in it. But as mentioned in the earlier posts, my items seem to evolve or at least the number of items tends to grow. I need to rethink this.

Comment

Darwin had one thing right (and only one, as far as I'm concerned): Evolve, or perish....

Comment

The idea for a standard back pack sized BOB for one's commute vehicle is a good one. I was working hard on collecting everything for a large one 70 plus lbs. when it dawned on me that I am only at work or here at the house and in the car. So the objective is come home in a event and wait for the better half to show up then we decide what to do from there. We have the truck for the evac from this place and everything can fit in it for now.

We will have just the basics in the back packs,
                        60 oz water
                        6 Bare Bars
                        2 HD Contractor grade trash bags
                        1 4" pocket knife
                        1 bx 25 ct. water proof matches sealed in vac. pak
                        20 strike anywhere matches sealed in vacpak
                        1 Vac. sealed gal bag of tinder for fire starting
                        1 roll electical tape
                        1 pair socks (vacpak)
                        1 underwear (Vacpak)
                        1 Tshirt (Short or Long sleeve is seasonal) (Vacpak)
                        1 pair Jeans (Vacpak)
                        1 med grade cold weather jacket (seasonal)(Vacpak)
                        1 pair ear warmers (seasonal)
                        1 pair cold weather gloves (seasonal) (Vacpak)
                        1 small roll TP sealed vacpack
                        2 paks of warmup chemical heaters from the sporting dept.
                        1 Small Cal. handgun with approx. 21 rnds.
                        1 Small Vac pack bag of Various sized bandaids, ointment, vaselline
                        1 12 ct OTC pain killers
                        1 4lb sleeping bag
                        1 midland outdoor walkie talkie type unit. (hopefully sealed properly from EMP)
                        Each will have some Money also, since most people will be clueless in the immediate hours after a situation has occured. Store keepers can still process cash without power. Or another example is to "buy" a bike from a person, if need be take it but I'd rather do it the right way for my own "feeling" sake.

The three bags will vary for the person it is assigned to i.e.
                        the better half will have good walking shoes and assorted female needed items enough for a day or two. The other two will be suited for me and the two vehicles I drive.

My worst case scenario on any given day is a 150 mile walk or bike ride back home. Her's is a 15 mile walk.
                        My pack will have Beef Jerky, foil pouch tuna and water purification tabs also.
                        Due to the possibility of having to cover so many miles fast.
                        All the Vaccuum packing helps to save space and keep items clean and dry of course.
                        Last edited by waitnc; 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM.
                        Waitnc

Comment

Hey Waitnc got something you might wanna consider.

I realize that in the immediate aftermath of a SHTF situation there should bewater for several days. But in the event water is hard for you then your hinking and the exertion that it entails along with the beef jerky is going to make your water requirements skyrocket.

Beef Jerky is TERRIBLE for true emergencies. Due to being so dehydrated AND the fact that there is usually lots of salt AND the protien content is so high, all this will lead to your body using much more liquid than normal, even more than you wold use if you went on a really long hike. Each of the things I mentioned previously by itself might not be so bad. But out them all together it wont be a good thing at all.:(

Just bear in mind that any food with super high protien content is not good for you if you do not have enough water. It takes ALOT of moisture to digest protien, as a matter of fact it oftentimes can take so much moisture from the body that dehydration can result.:eek:

Also other than protien beef jerky has little in the way of nutrients. It is much better to get something a little more nutritious even though it might be a little bulkier andheavier.

Comment

that is very true when i first started prepping i was putting powderd protein in my bob but the water to weight ratio sucked i would also suggest against the tuna because you only have one small roll of tp and tuna ia also loaded with protein and omega 3 fishoils good but i would try to conentrate on something stomach friendly with an even balance between proteins and vitamins i would also use more tp
                            the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

Thanks guys,
                              Here in Ky water isn't an issue, I'll look for something else. I do need to get some Iodine tabs to help the Lyphnoids in the event of Radiation. I do appreciate the comment though. This is how it should be I think.
                              Waitnc

Comment

Working...
                              X