Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think will be the best bartering items when the SHTF?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think will be the best bartering items when the SHTF?

I think that ammo, medicines & food will be big ticket items, but I would appreciate your input. Ex; exactly which foods, sanitary items & medications, also what creature comforts could be good 'currency'?
    Action expresses priorities!!!!!!

22 lr ammo, spices & salt , most any add water soup or gravy mix, Bulky to store but toilet paper and sanitary napkins?? matches and pra cord and don't forget bailing wire!!!
    You don't have to be perfect, but you better be smart!!!

Comment

Why trade ammo?

Why trade something that can be used against you?
      "If Howdy Doody runs against him, I'm voting for the puppet." - SkyOwl's Wife, 2012

Comment

I think comfort items will trade fast I was on cheaper than dirt and saw a load of military wool blankets selling in lots of 12 and thought it would be a good trade item
        NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO

Comment

Originally posted by Skyowl's Wife View Post
          Why trade ammo?

Why trade something that can be used against you?
          If your family is starving, I would say trade what you must. I look at it like this, I have more than enough firearms and ammo, I might not trade items like these with the biker zombie horde, but a trusted neighbor, maybe. Hopefully they will not be used against me, there is eventually going to have to be some trust out there if we are to survive long term and rebuild, if not why are we surviving in the first place?

Besides meds, TP is the currency of the future. Ever try wiping with a roll of silver quarters, at least you would be able to make change of a silver dollar....
          He who lives with the most toys, wins.

Comment

Originally posted by zany View Post
            I think that ammo, medicines & food will be big ticket items, but I would appreciate your input. Ex; exactly which foods, sanitary items & medications, also what creature comforts could be good 'currency'?
            The Large contractor grade trash bags I was with Red Cross those in shelters and out all wanted trash bags to keep stuff dry and easy to carry.a lot of those folks knew more about ruff living than I ever want to know.
            WE DIDN'T BELIEVE THOSE WHO HAD SWORN TO KILL US 9-11-01

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Yes I agree that the ammo wasn't my best idea ever, that's why I asked. With a larger than most family to look out for, I am trying to make very wise decisions for what I store. There is so much more for me to learn but each day, with all of your opinions, I am a tiny bit smarter!

Comment

In no particular order:

Protection ( Me and my team) shelter

Smokes, chew, alcohol !

Seeds !

Mountain money, meds, girly stuff...

Building material (plywood, 2x4, nails, screws, tools)

Comment

What we shoot carries a lot farther than a 22. Plus it's useful for getting small game. But you may have a point I'd have to consider who, I was trading to. Good thought.

Comment

I think it all depends on where you are located; urdan, rural, BFE, etc. I would look through the following list for its application to the area where you are. Obviously not everything on this list is something you would stock for barter but then, I don't know where you are or how 'rich' you are. These are from a list of 100 things to disappear first that I posted in another thread here. You can also find the complete list in Rage for Order's thread, 13 Signs of Societal Collapse, though that is not where I got it from originally. Thanks to Rage for Order and his thread for reminding us what we need to prepare for.

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
                    6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
                    7. Bats & Slingshots.
                    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
                    9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
                    10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
                    11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
                    12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
                    16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
                    18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
                    19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
                    22. Vitamins
                    24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
                    25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
                    27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
                    29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
                    30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
                    31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
                    33. Clothes pins/line/hangers
                    35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
                    37. First aid kits
                    38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
                    39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
                    41. Flour, yeast & salt
                    42. Matches.
                    43. Writing paper/pads/pencils,
                    49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
                    51. Fishing supplies/tools
                    53. Duct Tape
                    54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
                    55. Candles
                    56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
                    58. Garden tools & supplies
                    59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
                    60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
                    61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
                    64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
                    65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
                    67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
                    68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
                    69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
                    70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
                    71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
                    72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
                    73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
                    74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
                    75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
                    76. Reading glasses
                    77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
                    79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
                    82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
                    83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
                    84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
                    87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
                    88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
                    89. Lantern Hangers
                    90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
                    91. Teas
                    92. Coffee
                    93. Cigarettes
                    94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
                    95. Paraffin wax
                    96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
                    97. Chewing gum/candies
                    99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
                    Last edited by Skyowl; 09-16-2011, 10:17 PM. Reason: Addeed Rage For Oder credit for the same list
                    As Zombie Axe would say...
                    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

Comment

knowledge. common sense. 'old, lost trades', things that most folks have forgotten about or have never heard of.
                      if you have the no how and knowledge to help others then i believe you'll be all right.

Comment

That is so true mountain1. I have been trying to gather books on numerous back to the basics 'old fashioned' do it yourself like your Grandparents did type books. Also, I thought that I would get a laminated survival map kind of guide, for the lack of a better word, for my BOB. Knowledge is power and I don't want to be weak. It's scary when you have little ones depending on you & I at least want a fighting chance of knowing how to whatever it may be that will help them learn to re-build, survive, etc. My 7 yr old made a pretty good tent out of a clothesline, neighbors oops, 2 cheapo tarps & pine branches. Grandma has taught him something!

Comment

Originally posted by zany View Post
                          That is so true mountain1. I have been trying to gather books on numerous back to the basics 'old fashioned' do it yourself like your Grandparents did type books. Also, I thought that I would get a laminated survival map kind of guide, for the lack of a better word, for my BOB. Knowledge is power and I don't want to be weak. It's scary when you have little ones depending on you & I at least want a fighting chance of knowing how to whatever it may be that will help them learn to re-build, survive, etc. My 7 yr old made a pretty good tent out of a clothesline, neighbors oops, 2 cheapo tarps & pine branches. Grandma has taught him something!
                          You may want a map of area railroad tracks as well then you can avoid roads and still be asured of crossing points etc.

Comment

knowledge. common sense. 'old, lost trades', things that most folks have forgotten about or have never heard of.
                            if you have the no how and knowledge to help others then i believe you'll be all right.
                            bravo brother... the other posts are good too!! :)
                            Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Thanks Bue, that is another great idea. There's so much to think about and nobody could think of everything alone. I'm in search of a winter season 4 tent, that isn't too expensive. I will have to get it online as the couple stores around here are chain stores & when I asked the 'dude' at the sporting goods store if he could order one 2 be delivered to their store, he said " but ain't all tents 4 seasons, you know there is 4 seasons in a year". No a**hole I didn't know THAT!!!! On my way out, I saw he was the employee of the month, guess I know why, LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X