X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZAGran
    replied
    The teenage son of a neighbor (lives 750 feet away as the crow flies) helps me with my yard work. We have had to change our interaction. In the past he has come inside where we discuss the work that needs to be done and write down his starting time. He could come inside for breaks - No longer. We do all communication through the storm door and I use my pass thru window with a table underneath it on the outside to provide water and a snack - usually a cliff bar - and the occasional soda. Yesterday I noticed he looked at his hands before he approached to get his snack. So quick action. I asked him to wait a minute - filled an empty gallon jug with warm water - grabbed a old fashioned wash pan I keep in the kitchen for vegetable peelings etc and a small despenser of soap and a hand towel - set them on the table outside the window and motioned him to come on. Such a huge smile as he washed his hands and face using them. He then devoured the snack.
    After he left I set up a perminate wash station just like we had when I was a youngster on the farm.

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    Worked on which windows to open when using attic fan to get best airflow through house. My AC and Heating are closed systems, although I pay the price for hepa filters. I am going to try using a couple of box fans to create a negative airflow (from inside out) for those times when I want to leave my pass thru window with the table so I don't have to talk thru the plexi glass storm door. All my windows are double panes so creates quite the sound barrier. Helps on heating and cooling a lot as well. If I could just get the attic fan to operate in reverse I would be set.

Leave a comment:

• Cedar
    replied
    I have not opened anything inside the house either Gran. Most everything I get I let sit outside for days to a week before touching it. The sun is a good disinfectant as well, although it has been monsooning (and snowing yesterday) for a week.

Leave a comment:

• Cedar
    replied
    Today:
    1. working on making tomato trellises
    2. mushroom cultures, and agar plates
    3. temporary 6in raised beds for my medicinal herbs

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    I have been thinking about the Wuhan virus since the middle of Feb. Given my age I realized the first reports saying anyone over 65 was the most likely to die I started taking precautions then.

Now the instructions are to constantly wash your hands and keep your hands away from your face where all the mucus membranes are. There is another place of mucus membranes. Your genitals.

What I did
    So now I wash my hands both BEFORE and AFTER I go to the bathroom. Outside your nostrils those are the place of the thinnest skin on the body. Male and female. Just think about it a couple of moments.

Then there are the times the virus stays “alive” or active on various surfaces.
    Fabric – not long --- whatever that means
    Cardboard – up to 24 hours
    Metal or plastic (I would say any slick or finished surface) up to 72 hours
    I have decided to consider these the -half-life indicators – of the virus after hearing there were traces of the virus was still detectable after 2 weeks on the cruise ship 14 days after it had unloaded its passengers) in Calif. Now I don’t know what level of detection they used but ----------------------
    For cardboard after 24 hours (one day) ½ would be gone with ½ remaining – 48 hrs. (2 days) ¼ would remain – 72 hrs. (3days) 1/8 remaining – 96 hrs. (4 days) 1/16 remaining - and so on. Apply that to the 72 hrs. of metal or plastic. That is 12 days before you’re down to 1/16 of the virus remaining. So if you started with 100 virus cells or whatever they are called you still have 6 ¼ still viable.
    This is according to my understanding of half-life from high school. Please someone tell me if I am way off base with this half-life math, it has been a while.

What I did
    In the light of the above I set up a delivery table with a bright yellow sign saying deliveries here. The table is about 18 inches high to save backs (mine and the delivery person’s) I spray any item is paper, plastic or cardboard with a strong bleach solution (20 cc/qt. water) and let it dry. If it dries in less than 4 min. I spray again. Wearing heavy kitchen gloves I open the box with a dedicated tool (old kitchen knife) and remove the items, wipe them down with the same solution and place them on a freshly disinfected table 10 feet away that just fits under a window. I then carefully break down the box and put it in a stack with others. Plastic shipping outside wrap and inside packing goes in a trash bag. I then disinfect the delivery table.
    After washing my gloves with the same solution (my hands are still inside) I go inside & rest. 30 min to a day later (I do live in the middle of nowhere) depending on the items delivered I open the window and again (with gloves on) retrieve the items; wiping each again and put them up.
    When I started this two weeks go my family thought I was nuts. Now they do almost the same, never bringing the shipping box inside.
    Last edited by ZAGran; 04-01-2020, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ZAGran
    replied
    Great to hear your growing is going well. Pray that you are too.

Leave a comment:

• Cedar
    replied
    This week:
    - 7x7ft chick brooder made from old 2x6s I am trying to use up. Installed 25 SR Barred Rock chicks in it

- made a 4x16ftx3ft tall raised potato bed. I shpuld be able to get 600 to 1000lbs spuds in late summer/fall. Seed potatoes I saved back under the house from last summer. Two 5 gallon buckets worth

-moved ~450 tomato plants out of my livingroom and into the home greenhouse before they head over to the market gardens

~started my medicinal herbs, although I was not ready for them yet. I will be making 6in high raised beds for them in haste, they will be temporary beds, as they will get moved. I brought my largest pots (10 and 20 gallon? down from the home greenhouse)

- still working on 2 hive bee stands, as scrap lumber from other projects accumulates. Need 6 stands total

- today, turning the front entry closet into a temp pantry, as I need more pantry room until the outdoor 12x16ft one is done this summer. Building 5 shelves in there so I can have my counter space back

-today, planting squash and cukes indoors to transplant into the commercial greenhouses in about 30 days. I just brought more flats into the house. I gave a huge commercial.metal rack thst holds about 1,500 starts. Its on my south window bank and near the woodstove.

Leave a comment:

• Murphy
    replied
    Added another thermal scope to the stocks today. Pulsar Thermion XP38 .. found one of the last few available since the virus hit. Playing with it last night, I found it can pick out the heat signature from a squirrel in a tree from about 250 yards away..

Bought 500 rounds of Federal 40 JHP from Target Sports two weeks ago.. should be here Monday..

And the biggest addition: We added 5 Dahua Starlight Night Vision IP Camera's to our home and run a software program called Blue Iris to monitor them for motion. Now, with a quick glance, day or night, I can see everything within 300 feet of my house.. and the software alerts us 24/7 if significant movement occurs.

Wife bought me a large Android Samsung tablet that is mounted right next to the bed.. all I have to do is roll over, tap the screen and swipe, and the camera's pop right up instantly. Even when groggy, the tablet will highlight the motion in a red box for a quick id.

I've been big on food and supplies, power, water, etc.. but have always lacked some of the security things I've always wanted to get done.

I also purchased 4000 feet of new concertina wire from a local guy on craigslist.. an entire pallet of the stuff stacked 4 feet high.. and only paid $125 for it.

Leave a comment:

• lady_banjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam55 View Post

i was searching craigslist someone was giving away MRE'S called him and scored `12 cases exp date was 2014 but you and i know they last alot longer so i think it was a good score
    Bambam55 that was a great score! I've eaten from the expired MREs before and they were just fine.

Leave a comment:

• lady_banjo
    replied
    Taking stock of freezers inventory today. I'm pleased that there's not much waste which means I'm doing a good job of rotating items. Feeling good about our status so far. Planning to venture out to the grocery tomorrow for water refills and a few other items.

As a first responder (fire chief) in my community, I'm happy to report that we haven't yet been slammed with Covid-19 calls as expected. Time will tell...

Leave a comment:

• sabresixone
    replied
    Each trip to the store involves getting clean water, dry goods. some canned goods. dusted off gun cabinet cleaned house so I can find whatever is needed. inventoried ammunition. caught fish from my pond to check on my fish. they're fine. 5 bass. Happy little fish.

Leave a comment:

• Gandalf201
    replied
    Added more food and paper goods to my prepper pantry.

Leave a comment:

• bambam55
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    This should motivate everyone here and get the wheels turning, what did you or are you doing today to prepare?
    i was searching craigslist someone was giving away MRE'S called him and scored `12 cases exp date was 2014 but you and i know they last alot longer so i think it was a good score

Leave a comment:

• Patience
    replied
    Ill post some pics when its done. I work for a gutter company, so the materials are free, mostly. And I live in a mobile home that had been abandoned for about 5 years when I moved in, so Im not really concerned about how the hydro system looks on the wall, hahaha.

Leave a comment:

• Tailgate
    replied
    Originally posted by Patience View Post
    Picked up enough 6 inch rain gutter to build a hydroponics setup on an interior wall, but Ill need a pump and some fluid mix. This will be the third time Ive built one, but Im planning to stay here a while, so it can be a semi permanent installation.

Scouted out some new fishing spots while on a hike along the tracks. Also found some beaver?? right across the road where I walk the dog. I thought the dam was old, but nope. Some big fat beaver cruising around. I eyed them greedily. So did the dog...
    Your hydroponics project sounds very interesting. I would like to see a picture when finished. My in-laws farm had some issues with beavers a few years ago. They were allowed to stay until we found they were cutting down the corn stalks in a remote corner of the field by the creek. I was amazed at the are they had cut down. Plus made a slide into the creek from the field. The poor beaver ended up in the stew pot. The pelt looked good hanging on the wall, too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X