Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today we closed on a second cabin at the lake, and also picked up two more dozen ears of Silver Queen corn for the freezer. Now I guess I Have to start setting this new cabin up with the same things as the other one. This retirement aint working out to good for me. I'm working way too much !
    Every Day , Is A Bonus.

Comment

• I've been adding to the stores with cheap storable staples.

I have 3 - 6 months of the ordinary food I eat, and about 3 months of mountain house type stuff. But to really get to my 2 year goal I decided the only way is to use ordinary staples that store well.

I added another 50 pounds of rice and 25 pounds of salt.

Next beans, more rice, more salt, more beans.

I also have been working on my every day carry and bug out bagto increase capability while lightening the load. I switched to a nylon tarp from the typical tarp and also ditched the 3 pounds tarp for a 1 pounds bivy sack.
      I keep a small 1oz titanium alcohol stove in my every day carry, so I am ditching the canister stove in my bug out kit for a second alcohol stove.

Now I need to lose wieght from the bearer.. 5 pounds off the belt line is as good as 5 off the back in my mind. And I aim to get 20 off the belt line
      My weapon can kill, it isn't limited to mere assault

Comment

• shot the bersa and the model 59 smith today put in my police officer app in the counties and now i just wait
        the pack that plays together stays together

Comment

• Labor Day Weekend

we left Friday to go up to Grandfather mountain. I decided to stay at a friends house up there that night. We had such a great time. I got up early and went to watch the sunrise . How beautiful , just could not be described.

Then I headed to Hillsville VA. for the Flea Market. Found a military gun cleaning kit for $20 ! I have been seeing them for $50-$60 bucks at the gun shows. Also rounded up some more items, monoculars, jerry cans, coffee, cooking pots, Water Jugs 5gallon. All in all it has been a very nice weekend so far. Now I gotta pressure wash the house tomorrow.......Yuck!

Comment

• Bought and packed more sliced turkey, chicken breast, and pork chops. Also bought 3 boxes of #6 shot for squirrel and rabbit season.

Comment

• I bought another small hand ax at the local flea market for $3 it has a hammer handle instead of the curved kind, but I can fix that. It's a nice little Vaughn in good shape. Also found some blacksmith tongs for $3 and an almost mint yankee drill for $5.

I have a lot of old hand powered tools. Almost all bought at flea markets and yard sales. Never pay much except for one Stanley plane that is in great condition, it was $40 and lists for over $80 in the old tool books.

Comment

• Well, I didn't do it today, but over the past few months... bought some acreage up in the mountains, moved the family, and settled in. Natural spring in the backyard, along with a stream, fertile soil, deer in the yard every night, and best of all -- the few neighbors are very like-minded and self sufficient. There is much knowledge to be had by listening to the old timers, and I will be a sponge.

Comment

• Congrats on the move Hubste5 ! That certainly is worth mentioning as a prep.

Comment

• I have been reading books and watching self defense videos with the family. Purchased more ammo and possibly found another BOL (25 acres).

Comment

• been in the er today with my son all day good news is he will be alright

Comment

• Glad to hear your son will be all right prkchp. I hope that it is nothing serious. Your son will be in my prayers.

Comment

• thank you it started out as a cough then pneumonia then an alergic reaction to the meds but we got him off those now hopefully everything is straight now and thank you little one

Comment

• Hope your son gets better quickly. I have been there and done that- not fun.

Comment

• vacuum packed more beans and starting on the rice. working on a deal for a remington 1100 shotgun.

Comment

• For me today is 9-11 and it will always remain so untill I die or, God Willing, even past my death.
                                I remember that day, I had done a week-long private photo shoot of a bunch of Italian buckeroos on a 680,000 acre ranch in the east OR desert, a guest came into my rather humble bunkhouse and said something to the effect of "you gotta see this". As we walked into the ranch HQ with satalite TV the second airliner was impacting the WTC Tower and the guest said "This is live."
                                Well for a guy like me that followed terrorist acts it was a no brainer. It was OBL.
                                I was in an area tha had less than one person per 300 square miles, the population continues to drop thanks to the USFS driving land owners out.
                                The newscaster termed the attack "A tragedy" I said "Tragedy! Hell, it's an attack!"
                                I immediatly felt like an ash because there was an 8YO boy in the room and it was obvious my words had struck fear in him. The boy's dad comforted the lad, made that boy's safety zone the center of his life .\
                                o there I was, in the middle of nowhere, actually as remote as a man can get in the Lower 48/USA and still be near a road.
                                It took 25 minutes or me to re-orient my mission We were all walking about/flumexed
                                My mission became to protect my family ASAP.
                                I had a six-gun but no ammo so I swapped my 2 weeks wage/12rnds of 45 Colt and some fuel/ a draw.
                                It was still a 9 hour drive ahead of me and I knew I'd have a flat tire before I hit pavement. In that country the County Road Crew scrapes the road every spring, ensuring flat tires for everyone, very democratic.
                                I had one horse in a 2 axel trailer so I made 200 miles before I stopped to fix the flat(s) I knew I had in John Day city.
                                I was not concerned with anything that stood before me and my family. I was like on some ROBOCOP MISSION. I would have abandoned my horse (which I loved) I would have abandonded my trailer, I would have burnt my truck to the ground, to get back to my wife. I might have even defied the law, might even have done worse to get back to my wife because in my mind there was one BIG MESSAGE 'Protect your wife".
                                I don't even know where that message came from but it was seared in my brain, like God put it there.
                                For you brain crunchers; figgure that a man will do anything to protect his family; betray anyone; do anything,,, it is imprinted on his DNA. When a man says "I DO" He will,,,,,
                                And any such a man will, in all honor, do anything, say anything, to get back to his family.
                                Weakness, yes. but the alternitve is death
                                Weakness. never exists outrside the failuer of death
                                Last edited by kenno; 09-12-2009, 01:00 AM.
                                The road to serfdom is paved with free electric golf carts.

Comment

Working...
                                X