Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hade a knife, hatchet and machete that all had issues so I broke the handles off, stripped the metal and remade them all to match using some cedar I had.

This has been over the last few days. I just stained the hatchet handle to match the cedar since a cedar handle wouldn’t last ina hatchet. I am hoping it works on the blades . Sure looks good to me.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

• Looks great to me. The machete may splinter after a while. Depends on what you slash with it.

Comment

• Prepping gear/tools ...

Took my scooter to Lowes today and bought some more 1/8th nylon rope to help with tying down certain items which will not fit in my garage..for hurricane/storm preps. A tropical storm is bearing down on us here in Virginia from down in Florida.

While there I also purchased three tap and die sets....two metric and one SAE/American standard.

One of the metric sets will stay here as a back up set....to the SAE and Metric set I currently have. Will obtain another SAE American Standard set later...they did not have two SAE tap and Die sets at the local Lowes.

The one Metric and one Standard/SAE set will be going to the two prepper groups up in central Virginia....

While it is not difficult to learn to use these tools it takes some practice...and I don't believe these people are familiar at all how badly or handy a set is when your back is to the wall and you verily need a tool like this or your progress comes to a screeching halt.

I also have here and for them also a set of thread files...I have purchased two sets.

I am not making plans to go up there and stay with them unless the SHTF hits the fan big time down here.....or TEOTWAWKI likewise.

But I do plan to keep in touch...even without phone service via the Amateur Radio comm. links previously established.

Orangetom'
        Not an Ishmaelite

Comment

• I updated security and communications .Been at it for several weeks.Hope it is enough.

Comment

• This was very odd, but I am not complaining. My wife gave me orders to buy more ammunition. I am making weekly trips to a gun store close to me, and getting what I can. Their inventory has been a little spotty, but it is a Hunting/Fishing store, so their inventory has always been very good. Some calibers are still hard to find, but I never come out empty handed.

I think I am moving from the "Being able to take over a small country" category into the "Valued supplier for NATO" category. You can never be to rich, to thin, or have to much ammunition.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
              This was very odd, but I am not complaining. My wife gave me orders to buy more ammunition. I am making weekly trips to a gun store close to me, and getting what I can. Their inventory has been a little spotty, but it is a Hunting/Fishing store, so their inventory has always been very good. Some calibers are still hard to find, but I never come out empty handed.

I think I am moving from the "Being able to take over a small country" category into the "Valued supplier for NATO" category. You can never be to rich, to thin, or have to much ammunition.
              That's a might fine wife you have there. Hope she gets something special for Christmas.

Dale

Comment

• Broke down and went to WalMart for the 2nd time since Feb 2nd. Got my flu and pneumonia shots. I called ahead and because I was getting both shots I didn't go to the general clinic but to the pharmacy area where were only 3 other people showed up after me. Dr. could not get me in for 2 weeks and Health Dept clinic was slammed.

Comment

• getting ready this afternoon to take my 2 boys and the other Cub Scouts down to Gettysburg tomorrow to see the museum, cemetery and we're going to do one of the shorter 4 mile hikes. I've not been there in probably just over 30 years so be interested to see what I remember and what's changed. I know they have been fitting a lot of growth in the area and trying to not ruin the feel of the era. Hope to see what sort of old ways or equipment they might have from the time that could be useful in a post SHTF world.
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                    getting ready this afternoon to take my 2 boys and the other Cub Scouts down to Gettysburg tomorrow to see the museum, cemetery and we're going to do one of the shorter 4 mile hikes. I've not been there in probably just over 30 years so be interested to see what I remember and what's changed. I know they have been fitting a lot of growth in the area and trying to not ruin the feel of the era. Hope to see what sort of old ways or equipment they might have from the time that could be useful in a post SHTF world.
                    This sounds like a great trip for you and the boys. We went there in 2003 and once in 2005. It was a good trip. Very interesting place. I am glad I didn't have to fight there. We did the Harley Davidson plant at York at the same time. Have fun.

Comment

• Well had a beautiful day but the place was packed. Wasn't what I recall from 30+ years ago. The old museum was apparently replaced in 2008. It's nice but reminded me more of an attraction at a big amusement park. Plus with Covid restrictions it had a weird feel. Couldn't take as much time as I'd have like as with young ones they sort of want to rush thru and move on to the next thing. A lot of the things I remembered that made an impression on me I didn't see this time around. The way they did the cyclorama is pretty cool. That painting is something like 42' tall and like 360' long when laid end to end but seeing it in the round and with the way they have the landscape built that looks like you could walk down the road and right into the painting is really wild. Looks like the photos I tried to take in there didn't come out. My phone didn't focus and it's all blurry.

More later
                      I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyaK99EY_4 I added an adze to my tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDYOXjsVAs&t=1s Got a new less leathal device

Comment

Working...
                        X