X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [deleted post]

Comment

• An odd thing I did was take my "culled" agar plates with mushroom mycelium on them that I was not going to mother off, as I had better ones, and dropped about 15 of them into various slash to see if they will take. I dropped Lions Mane, Shittake, Mitake, Chestnut, WhiteElm. I figured it was better than putting them down the sink. I just chucked them out there like rubbery frisbees.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sure hope your mycelium takes in your slash piles, although it might make you think twice about burning them. The ground squirrels might be enough pest to force your hand. Maybe they will eat the mushrooms and stay away from your lively hood. Doubt it though. Wonder what roasted ground squirrel with mushrooms would taste like?
        Oh, and that is a Plexiglass storm door not a screen door. I doubt I will put the screen in this year because of the virus.Better safe than sorry!
        Last edited by ZAGran; 04-14-2020, 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Gran, I put it in just some of the slash I am not burning, and is not piled, just scattered about. Only about an acre of my property I cleared and pulled stumps from (where the slash piles are) for lambing pasture and the fruit tree orchard, the rest of the property is unpiled slash and replanted forest... so my mycelium is in that unpiled stuff across the creek ravine. Sorry for the confusion.

I was tempted to eat squirrels this last week, with or without mushrooms lol. It is probably one of the few things I have not cooked.

There are also logs started. I have about 20 done and running, 40 more oak logs I ought to get to. I was hoping to have 200 in by next Fall, but that may get pushed back another year. I usually have 11 culinary varieties, but just starting over.
          Last edited by Cedar; 04-14-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cedar View Post
            Gran, I put it in just some of the slash I am not burning, and is not piled, just scattered about. Only about an acre of my property I cleared and pulled stumps from (where the slash piles are) for lambing pasture and the fruit tree orchard, the rest of the property is unpiled slash and replanted forest... so my mycelium is in that unpiled stuff across the creek ravine. Sorry for the confusion.

I was tempted to eat squirrels this last week, with or without mushrooms lol. It is probably one of the few things I have not cooked.

There are also logs started. I have about 20 done and running, 40 more oak logs I ought to get to. I was hoping to have 200 in by next Fall, but that may get pushed back another year. I usually have 11 culinary varieties, but just starting over.
            Cedar. You...are...... AWESOME! :)

-Buggy
            I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buggyout View Post

Cedar. You...are...... AWESOME! :)

-Buggy
              Only every third Tuesday for about 10 minutes Buggy.... *wink*..... but thanks for the compliment.

Cedar

Comment

• Today:
                -Split firewood until the gas ran out of the log splitter. It is knarled up Oak, so no way I am splitting that by hand. Got more done than I thought I would.

- Got hopefully my last truckload of compost hauled over and unloaded. But...

- I found 20 "Mary Washington" 2 year old asparagus plants for $1.99, so I grabbed 20 of them, as I wanted another variety. (I have 100 plants of a pink blushed white 400 yr old French variety as my main) Got them soaking overnight, and knocking a raised bed together for them tomorrow. I may have to make the 21st truckload run of compost tomorrow. (Ugh - I cant wait for the tractor to get back.)

- Grabbed 20 substandard raspberry plants, soaked them for 3 hrs and mass planted them in buckets until I have their permanent home made up.

- Started 7 new quart sized mushroom jars to mother off 4 species tomorrow when they have cooled off. Using rye this time. Thinking about where to put some morel beds, and hopefully find some wild ones to clone in the next little bit. I need to make up more agar plates, but misplaced my recipe.

- My WWOOFer got the washing machine hose fixed to a garden hose from spare bits around here, and my new stand is much better, less washer shaking.

- He also finished the chicken gates, and had to create locks as what is available commercially wouldnt work.

- replanted my Elephant garlic into the new herb beds

- planted 200 yellow storage onions, and 100 Walla Walls onions today.

Cedar

Comment

• I was tempted to eat squirrels this last week, with or without mushrooms lol. It is probably one of the few things I have not cooked.

Okay, I love squirrel & dumplings. Tree squirrel,,,, l have never eaten ground squirrel. Tree squirrel from a hardwood forest taste great (to me) but from a pine or evergreen forest they taste like yuck (aka pine needles). For some reason I was thinking you had a lot of evergreen on your land. If your fallen slash is mostly hardwood your mushrooms have a good chance of taking and the ground squirrel might taste good (to me).

I know you are working from sun up to sunset but when you get the chance and want to try ground squirrel start by softening some onions in bacon fat ( or Lard ) I think they call that sauteing now. Then you add your squirrel stir it around for a bit to get some brown on it. Salt and pepper it good before you put it in the pot (salt depends on whether you started with bacon fat or lard) and then add some flour like you were making gravy, cook it a bit more and then add enough water to cover everything about 2 inches. Let it boil and then move it to a simmer until almost tender. About how long it takes to bake homemade biscuits. Taste it every now and again to see if you need more salt and/or pepper. If the water gets to low add boiling (or very hot) water back to the 2 inch above the meat level. Put in your dumplings (either rolled or drop) let come back to a good boil, cover and cook at a simmer about 20 min. Don't peek in or dumplings will not cook right. Taste one more time to check salt and pepper. Serve it up. Best to have something green on the table to go with it and jelly for the biscuits.

I know this sounds like an old time recipe and It is. Just how my grandmother told me and showed me the spring after I turned 14 . She was well into her sixty's or early seventy's at the time. (FYI I was born In the 1940s.) My Grandmother died at the age of 94. So as you can see I can remember her cooking lessons very well. Next time I make squirrel dumplings I will take measurements. That is if I can get a couple of squirrels in season. Nowadays I only see a good chance in Jan & Feb when they are out of hunting season. I don't ramble the woods much in late spring any more. My current dog is great at watching and warning and as a companion but lousy in the woods.
                  Last edited by ZAGran; 04-16-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Thanks Gran!!! I understand that recipe better than you know. I cook without measuring usually, dont use a timer, and learned my lesson about not peeking at dumplins or they dont get fluffy.

The striped squirrels live in the woods next door, which are mixed Douglas Fir, Maple, and Oregon White Oak.

Weirdly my 10 yr old daughter really wants to eat squirrel, and I told her if she wanted to learn to dress it, i would cook it for her. Now that I have a recipe, I might just clean it myself. The striped guys are only going to be a taste though. They are not even a 1/4lb liveweight.

Comment

• Seriously? I Just lost the whole explanation I typed out for the last 10 mins for you Gran. Ok, trying again....

This is about an acre and a bit of my land . The rest is to the East and South. The photo is correct like a map for directions. Its about 2 and a bit year old photo. My pastures have been planted and all nicely green now.

To the South of the photo is my replanted forest to keep me in forestry deferral to keep my taxes low. I can still run livestock and do added-value forestry back there.

To the West and North is miles and miles and miles of private logging company timber, BLM and Stste or National Forest. All of it we can hike, fish, ride horses, etc on. No motor vehicles.

In the NW corner, you can see the 40ft red cargo container. To the West of it is the little greenhouse. Slightly to the SW is the 233sf studio cabin my daughter and I lived in for 28 months, and where my WWOOFer is now living. If you look close you can see the solar panels on the roof.
                      SW, but close to the cabin is where 8 of the beehives are.

To the SE of the main house, where the 3 slash piles are, will be where the 20x70ft greenhouse will go. Water catchment off the roof of the main house will be caught in a 2500gal water tank and gravity fed to the greenhouse. Its a 22ft+ elevation drop.

The main bulk of slash piles NE of the house is where the pre-15th century fruit tree orchard will go.

The south side of the house is where I just put in the raised herb garden. To the South of that my current temporary chicken yard. In the next 2 yrs, I hope to have my ehole house solar array.

Straight West of the house is where we will have the woodshed and rabbitry built this summer.

Less straight West, is where the rootcellar is marked out. I dont anticipate it will be done before Fall.

Hope that helps Gran.

Cedar
                      Last edited by Cedar; 04-16-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Thank you. A visual helps so much. I can now make sense of your lay out and appreciate the work you have done even more. Keep us updated on your progress. Makes me wish I was 30 years younger with all that potential progress ahead instead of behind.

Comment

• What I Did Today:

- Pressure canned the rye I soaked all day yesterday for mycellium. Tomorrow I will mother it off when it has fully cooled.

- Searched for what model number my 1970s Mirro pressure canner is so I can order 2 new gaskets for it. I reoiled it, but I am suspicious about this one, but its behaving now. It is just for mycellium, so no worry of boutulism today. I am kinda excited though, first time canning on my new propane stove. It will be busy this summer.

- Sharpened the kitchen knives on a whetstone while pressure canner was running. They sorely needed it. The orange handle one was duller than the dullest butterknife. WWOOFer friend made me a block to set the stone on.

- Split another truckload of firewood, as we need to get it out of where it is, so we can start pouring the concrete slab for the toolshed/ woodshed/ rabbitry. I am just gonna try to do a bit a day. I can see progress after just 2 back to back days.

- Planted the "Mary Washington" asparagus I had soaking all night. It is in the tomato beds, as each species supposedly repels the pests of the other. (And frankly I wasnt keen on hauling another truckload of compost today.)

- Went out to my "metal section of boneyard", recycled a wrought iron gazebo into tomato cages. They are the sweetest looking tomato cages I will ever own. I think I have enough space for 16 paste tomato plants in each of them. The larger indeterminate tomatoes go into the large greenhouses and in the fields. I still like growing stuff at home, to watch, to trial, and hate driving 3 miles down the road for something for dinner..

-Called about a local milk cow I am interested in. The herd owners do not live too far from me. Told them I am around a month out. We will keep in touch. I miss my former milk cow :o (

Cedar
                          Last edited by Cedar; 04-16-2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Neighbor dropped off fabric yesterday (2 yards) for mask we are making for the local volunteer firefighters (we have 3 different groups in our area, all of which will show up at any fire if the first there needs help). Of course they have their respirators and other gear for protection from fire but nothing to help keep themselves and their family healthy. I don't want them ill. We are very rural and are always the last to get anything from state or federal assistance on things like that. I cranked out 10 today from one yard. The other yard will make 3 scrub caps for the nurse aids at the nursing home. Almost out of elastic. The roll I ordered early March is still on track to arrive next week. This was a week before EVERYBODY wear mask recommendation came out. I can make string ties from scratch if need to.

Made my first masks the end of Feb when I started making masks for local nursing home nurse aids. The only protective equipment they had ever had was gloves to wear when cleaning bed-ridden residents. Well now they all have 2 or 3 each and it is time to spread out to our volunteer fire fighters.

Comment

• Organized 5 tough totes for emergency . Food stuffs, then life stuff ie what to wear, sleeping gear, Stuff that will come with me computer HDs, some pics and papers, Then the hard stuff self defense what do i do with firearms and ammo? How many, how much,what to do with extras.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Armyjimbo View Post
                                Organized 5 tough totes for emergency . Food stuffs, then life stuff ie what to wear, sleeping gear, Stuff that will come with me computer HDs, some pics and papers, Then the hard stuff self defense what do i do with firearms and ammo? How many, how much,what to do with extras.?
                                You might want to consider mixing up the totes a bit, so if you lose one, or can only take 1 or 2, all your "eggs are not in one basket", so to speak.

Cedar

Comment

Working...
                                X