X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

NO...........
    Well,...that sucks. You did say you've been in AK for 49 years?

Dale

Comment

• Yes 49 years, came when I was 23 y/o

I am not sure what info you are wanting, about temperature.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
        Yes 49 years, came when I was 23 y/o

I am not sure what info you are wanting, about temperature.
        Sourdough, I prefer first hand reports from people that understand the weather and live with it. I lived in WA 23 years ago and had a lot of friends living in AK at the time and they didn't have any concerns about the weather at the time. The weather and ocean are going through some major changes and you forget that (where I live), if there is nothing but the talking heads on TV to remind you. I like to stay informed so I can stay prepared. Thanks for the information.

Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by dalewick View Post

Sourdough, I prefer first hand reports from people that understand the weather and live with it. I lived in WA 23 years ago and had a lot of friends living in AK at the time and they didn't have any concerns about the weather at the time. The weather and ocean are going through some major changes and you forget that (where I live), if there is nothing but the talking heads on TV to remind you. I like to stay informed so I can stay prepared. Thanks for the information.

Dale
          Back in the 70's it would get down to 35 degrees BELOW zero several times every winter, now it goes a few years and not even get down to zero even once.
          Last edited by Sourdough; 11-14-2018, 11:00 PM.
          One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• I was shopping at Wally World this weekend. Not surprisingly they are starting to put out a lot of Christmas specials. They had multi-tools and folding knives for under $5.00. Two energizer headlamps (combined in one package) with batteries for under $10.00. The knives and multi-tools certainly aren't the best, but if they are sitting in a BOB or Get-Home bag or a kids BOB the quality really won't matter. Might be a good time to stock up. Add them to you barter supply.
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Morg,

Don't discount some of those Wallyworld knives. About 2 years ago( I think it's been that long) I started carrying one of their Ozark branded ones that has a bit of a tacti-cool look with a tanto blade, liner lock and some serration for under $4. The blade needs some sharpening out of the package but with a little stoning they hold a decent edge and they've held up well. When I've lost one or 2, or showed up at airport security forgetting it';s in my pocket, no biggy toss it in the trash can and I'm out $4, some time sharpening another one and time saved walking back to put knife in the car and likely missing my flight. Only bad thing for me is a few months ago I went to buy a few more of the model I have and like and they don't seem to be carrying it anymore and I didn't like the design of what looks to have replaced it on the shelf.

On the multiplier side they had one for somewhere around $8-$9 if I recall. This I wasn't so impressed with. It works ok for pliers so long as you're not really clamping down on something; if you do they seem to flex and slip. I found the blade to not be very decent and I couldn't get it to take an edge very easily or to hold what I did get. Overall for a kid, or to have a pair in each car as a just in case, sure. In my experience day to day they just didn't work and they were also a bit bulky. Think his is a place where EDC requires a Leatherman or Gerber.
              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Totally agree CG. These are good items for back up and limited emergency use. Keep it in the car just in case. I have gotten tools, which have help up surprisingly well. Gloves, flashlights. You get them for a song, so if you lose or break one; your airport example; you don't mind too much.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Drove to the bulk store and picked up a 50 lb bag of black beans and then to the sporting goods and picked up a thousand 209 shot shell primers. Also spent a few hours on the phone yesterday talking with a few different sellers of night vision devices as I'm looking to purchase a thermal rifle scope. When I was at the sporting goods store, I got the opportunity to use a FLIR Scout monocular to see what its like.

Currently considering either a FLIR PTS233 or a Pulsar APEX XQ38 or XQ50. As is said, in a world of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Comment

• OK, I won't be on here much as Christmas is 24 days away. Will be very busy getting house ready for Christmas and doing my Christmas shopping.
                    I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are still eating turkey and just finished up the ham last night. Turkey sandwiches are the bomb. I have 2 turkey breast in freezer that I got for 37 cents a pound that I am going to can. I have been picking up the sales on things that have been really great deals. Will try to bring up older post at later dates as I have got to finish the house and decorating. Time to bring out the tree. Fun. Putting it all up is not bad but taking it all down is work. But it is what it is.
                    Later.

Comment

• Saved my turkey carcass in the freezer until today. Pulled it out along with chicken bones saved the same way and plopped it in a stock pot along with a large onion, couple of stalks of celery. a tsp. of pepper corns and a couple of carrots. Let it simmer gently for the better part of the day, about 5-6 hours. Just set it in the fridge to cool so I can skim the fat tomorrow, strain out bones and stuff and can it. I tasted it and it was so good even without salt (I never add salt when canning stock) I ladled out myself a cup and sat down and drank it like a good cup of coffee. Can't wait to use it in cooking. It sure beats that store bought stuff. Saving at least one quart for quick chicken and dumplings. Pint jar of chicken, heat to boiling add dumplings, cover for 20 min and eat! Taste like you slaved all day over a hot stove but only takes about 35 min from start to finish. Mostly from making the dumplings.

Comment

• ZAGran I do the same thing. My daughter cooked the ham so she got the ham bone this year.

Comment

• Past week have been thawing and slicing meat bought on sale or acquired from family and making jerky. It is not considered part of my preps until it reaches the stage where it no longer requires electricity to store. Saved back some to make stew to can. Hopefully next week can start on that after Christmas prep is finished.

Comment

• As part of my preps I keep a dry bag with the other BOB's. It includes things like spare clothing; blankets; towels.

I was taking inventory to make sure there is enough of everything for all family members. Found a few holes where some things need to be added. I do need to put a packing list or inventory sheet in the bag, so if anyone but me grabbed it they would know at a glance what is in it.

Comment

• Early Christmas gift. Ordered a Trijicon Reap IR with an external battery pack today. Should be a fun toy to play around with.

As they say, "in a world of the blind, the man with one eye is king"....

Also ran the wood gasifier in 25 degree weather today just to make sure everything works. Heated water with it and the wife took a shower and ran the dishwasher. Winter temperatures really help condense the gasses and seems to make it run better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                                Early Christmas gift. Ordered a Trijicon Reap IR with an external battery pack today.
                                Someone must have been a good boy to wind up on that list of Santa's.
                                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X