Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved my weapons safe to a better (safer) location and reorganized it (taking tomorrow off). Ordered a new upper receiver and bolt carrier group for a new pistol build (300 Blk).

Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by dalewick View Post
      Moved my weapons safe to a better (safer) location and reorganized it (taking tomorrow off). Ordered a new upper receiver and bolt carrier group for a new pistol build (300 Blk).

Dale
      I have several 300 AAC Blackout AR-15 Pistols.Two at 7 1/2" and one at 8 1/2" and one 10.5"
      I think it is a great tool. I don't have any .300 Blackout rifles, and don't want any.
      Last edited by Sourdough; 11-08-2018, 10:58 PM.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• For some reason I can't find the post on Thank You to our Veterans. So here I will post my great big THANK YOU to all who have served in past wars, police actions, etc.

Comment

• So, the past week I have canned 20 jars of assorted jams, jellies, stews and beans, acquired and froze several pounds of ground beef to can after Thanksgiving, several pounds of beef to make into jerky (same time line) and several pounds of pork for same. And the freezer has other stuff I need to can and haven't had or made time to do it.
          Been busy with church, family and researching candidates for election and have made a sizeable dent in my short term pantry ( 3 mo. to 2 years) due to these circumstances and am on track to start restocking it. Cold weather is setting in early and I love to can on cold days.

Comment

• It is 36 degrees out with a winter mix falling - snow and rain. The ground is warm so nothing is sticking anywhere around my house but a few miles further north it is. Canned 5 pints of Spicy Apple Jam, yes jam, this morning and really enjoyed the 1/4 cup that did not fit into the jars. This afternoon I'll prep for Pepper Jelly and can it tomorrow morning.

Comment

• WOW Z, sounds like you're one busy lady these days. Great going... so is your spicy apple jam like pepper spicy or more like cinnamon spice type of spicy?
              I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• I am hoping the cinnamon spicy variety. That sounds especially good.

Comment

• I spent the day cleaning up outside to get ready.........just incase winter comes this year. 47 degrees above and very SUNNY. No snow on the ground. Was a good day for cleaning up.
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                    I spent the day cleaning up outside to get ready.........just incase winter comes this year. 47 degrees above and very SUNNY. No snow on the ground. Was a good day for cleaning up.
                    No snow???? Did you move to Californistan and not tells us? LOL! Enjoy the weather while you can.

Dale

Comment

No snow???? Did you move to Californistan and not tells us? LOL! Enjoy the weather while you can.

Dale
                      The last three years we have gone most of the winter with no snow. It seems like every month they say it was record warm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

The last three years we have gone most of the winter with no snow. It seems like every month they say it was record warm.
                        Do you remember anytime since you moved to AK that it's done this before? Thanks.

Dale

Comment

Do you remember anytime since you moved to AK that it's done this before? Thanks.

Dale
                          NO...........

Comment

• Well we have snow here! It has come very early. We are right on the cusp. If the storm tracks South it may miss us completely. If it tracks North we get bombarded. Supposed to hit sometime tonight. Oh well. That is why we prep. I'm not to worried.
                            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Weather is weirding out... saw in the news that Texas was getting snow before New York this year.

Over the years, I have noticed that the planting "zones" on garden maps have changed....on the warmer side.

For non-gardeners, here is a good explanation of the garden zone map and the changes made to it

https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/hac...s-zone-changes

Here is an excerpt. More information at the link.

"Those folks who’ve been gardening since the 2000s and before have probably noticed changes in growing patterns between then and now.

Annuals that ought to be toast by September are blooming through to November. Just a few weeks ago, I witnessed very confused apple trees and forsythia pushing out a late-autumn bloom.

Sometimes it’s a sight of joy and excitement, and other times it’s a disconcerting observation when you’re wondering why your peppers are pushing new flowers in the first week of November. If you’ve seen these changes firsthand, you’re not alone.

A Look at the USDA Growing Zone Map:

The United States Department of Agriculture has been a reliable authority for determining what plants can grow where in the United States. It relies on decades of records of weather patterns to determine the average highs and lows of any specific area.

The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map’s origins stretch back to the
                              1960s, when Henry Skinner of the United States National Arboretum first devised a working map of plant hardiness zones. His original vision has transmuted into the USDA zones we’re familiar with today.

Back in 1990, a growing database of climatic records prompted the first major change to this map, and in 2012 the map was changed again."

Here is a visual of how much the gardening zones have changed:

https://blogs.massaudubon.org/yourgr...-have-changed/

"If you’re looking to avoid freeze damage in your garden, the recommendations for what you should plant have changed over the last 25 years.

Plant hardiness zones are recommendations for planting based on the risk of extreme cold in a given region. Some plants and trees are more resilient to cold snaps than others, and different plant types are categorized by different zones. Warmer zones, for plants less hardy to deep freezes, are typically found farther south, as you’d expect. Zones prone to harsh cold snaps are typically found farther north.

As USDA and Arbor Day Foundation revisited the data over time, they found the risk of extreme cold snaps had lessened across much of the country. From 1990 through 2015, as you can see in the following images, the recommended zones shifted noticeably northward. That means planting recommendations have changed. Plant types best suited for areas farther south in the past may now be viable farther north."

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plant-Hardiness-Zones-static.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	216854
                              Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 11-14-2018, 12:11 PM.
                              Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
                                WOW Z, sounds like you're one busy lady these days. Great going... so is your spicy apple jam like pepper spicy or more like cinnamon spice type of spicy?
                                Pepper spicy as in chile de'arbol. great on anything from crackers with cream or goat cheese or homemade buttered biscuits. And ham sandwiches.

Canned 1/2 gal of homemade cranberry juice this morn to make cranberry-port sauce for Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners. Last year we ran out so am canning extra juice this year.
                                Last edited by ZAGran; 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X