Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale that is true. She had a better idea. She told me she was going to pay my granddaughter to take her exam. Of course she was kidding or at least I think she was as my granddaughter when she was over here told me she would pay her $50 if she took it for her. It is on line. I told her she is in college also and needs mula so it will be $100 to take it for her. But then it won't help my daughter any if she did take it for the money. My daughter will be taking that exam herself. $100 was a bit rich for her blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
      Dale that sounds sicking. But like you say if you are starving and haven;t eating in days you would eat anything. I guess it really is a matter of survival.
      My daughter will graduate in 2 more years. She is taking Chem and Biology now. She slowed it down for these two because Chem is a bit tough for her.
      Yea, I was no fan of organic Chem either. My higher math classes and genetics were my main headaches. Prayer and study will get her through it. It did me.

Dale

Comment

• Not sure why that last post copied itself.

Dale

Comment

• I'm guessing that the reason you and I don't have rats is because we both live out in the countryside where natural predators (mostly the winged type), keep their numbers one step above extinction levels.

City environments are totally different.. lots of hiding places plus lots of food = huge populations. Add in underground infrastructure and it may as well be the perfect incubator..

I have mouse traps in the house.. I got 5 of them in the last decade or so, and four of them - plus one squirrel, all came through the same hole.... which is fixed now.
          They got in via a small gap under the brick where the basement window meets the support plate above.. That is now filled with 1/16 stainless steel mesh screen and foam...
          If they can chew through stainless steel, I'm leaving the state because that's one tough mouse.

[/QUOTE]

Let me add one or two things to natural predators that are not winged and pay for themselves. Barn cats and small terrier type dogs. Even though I don't currently have live stock I have a barn and there my feral barn cats live. I feed them a bit on a regular basis, barely enough to keep them alive unless they hunt. And hunt they do! Not only can they free a place of mice and rats they can effectively control rabbits by taking out the young. They control their own numbers, increasing and decreasing as the populations they feed on wax and wane.

Comment

• Took my 2 boys to a Cubs In Camp Day and got to spend all day with them walking around thru a beautiful fall setting Scout camp. Got to help them both have their 1st and 2nd experiences (respectively) shooting BB gun and archery, got to see them learn how to make mountain pies, they got to make a very basic 1st aid kit, got to try very basic leather working stamping leather bracelets and a bunch other stuff. They had a blast as did the other boys we were with. On the way home in the truck I asked them both what the best part was. Almost simultaneous I got "eating the pizza sandwiches" aka mountain pies... LOL guess not too big a surprise it's the stomach filler. I asked well after the food what did u like best and both seemed to enjoy the BB gun as a close second to the food....

So guess my prep today was trying to start these guys down to the path of doing and learning how to do things for themselves.

Oh they're 5 & 6; a kindergartner and a 1st grader
            I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Every kid should have a Daddy like you...because kids won't remember their best day of television, but they will remember weekends like this.

Comment

• That is priceless CG. What great memories for all of you. Remember that day when you are out in the woods, and they get their first buck.

You are making life long skills a fun activity that they will enjoy. That is really special.
                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Took a trip to Sam's Club.

Sams Club had a sale on 15 oz cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli in tomato sauce. Pretty good price too so we bought 100 cans of it (membership limit). They also had a sale on Campbell's Mushroom soup so we bought 150 cans of that as well.

Also put away another 50 pounds of white rice and we bought 400 rolls of toilet paper as well as 6 bottles of shampoo and some other goodies.

Completely filled up the bed of my pickup truck so much I had to use the cargo net to keep everything in. Ended up spending just short of $1100.

Comment

• We use liquid dish soap for shampoo and washing body........Reason: Dish soap is designed to rinse off in cold water. It is also cheap.
                    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-31-2018, 02:24 PM.
                    One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                      We use liquid dish soap for shampoo and washing body........Reason: Dish soap is designed to rinse off in cold water. It is also cheap.
                      New to me. I did not know liquid dish soap was actually designed for cold water rinse. Has anyone experimented with dish soap as a degreaser? One dish soap actually uses ducks coated in crude oil as an advertisement. I think I will wash my kitchen towels and pot holders in it to see if it gets rid of the greasy build up on them that starts to smell after a while. Let you know tomorrow how it works out.

Bought 2 more small flashlights, the kind that uses AAA batteries and has LED bulb. The one I kept close at hand to look under and behind furniture disappeared and several house searches and cleanings failed to turn it up. Really drove home the one is none and two is one. Really chafed me to have it gone. Needless to say as soon as I used one of my new ones to look under the tv stand to fish out a dog toy I found my missing flashlight. Now I have 3 really good ones and can't wait to order a 4th. LED is the way to go. I'm getting rid of all that are not LED. They were the ones that did not create enough light for me to see all the way under the tv stand to find the lost good light. AND they use up batteries twice as fast!!

Comment

• My mom and sis alike. Has used dish soap on oil spots, that ended up on a shirt.just add a lil bit of dish soap onto the spot.then use another part of the shirt.or a clean sponge or rag.to work into the spot.let it sit for a lil bit.then put it into wash with other laundry n wash.that normally works.
                        be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

• As most probably know, making soap is pretty easy to do as all you need is some wood ash, animal fat, and water.

I just stockpile the soaps and shampoos (as well as other supplies) for convenience during the first year of chaos so that my time is spent on security rather than doing small things.

Comment

• Well, dish soap works great! Identified the 2 towels and all 6 potholders as having greasy smell and stains even though they had been washed just last week. As jimLE said rubbed the soap in all the spots really well, added what was left of the 1/4 cup I started with to the machine, extra small load, warm wash cold rinse. Smell gone! Of course there are a couple of faint tan stains left on the 2 mostly white pot holders but that is no biggie, could be from food instead of grease/oil. Rest nice and clean. AND SMELL IS GONE!!! I did not use the advertised soap, I used the cheap $2 a bottle (32 oz) dish soap from the local dollar store. I have a good stock of it but will add a couple more in the laundry area. I never learned to use bar laundry soap without eventually removing skin from my hands, although I have a supply. I make my own powdered laundry soap with it. So much cheaper than buying it.

Comment

• Where we started using dish soap for washing our body is camping. I camped for four months straight when guiding hunters. Heating water to wash would risk running out of fuel (this is fly-in wilderness) and not being able to cook. Hand soap needs warm water to rinse off, but I could bath with dish soap, and rinse with cold water. Plus........I would only bath once or twice a month, and hair and body would get oily, dish soap is made to cut oil and grease. I could be wrong, but I think pigs blood is an active ingredient in dish soap.
                              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• I'll use the brand name, to me for the few extra dollars nothing beats Dawn for grease. I've used it for cleaning oil spots in the driveway and anyone with pets, it is the best, fastest and cheapest flea wash you will find. you know how the add says it encapsulate grease, well it does fleas (and I've heard ticks) too and they suffocate. Maybe t washes and your pooch will be flea free.

Oxyclean is awesome stuff to for adding to cleaners for brightening and as an abrasive scrubbing powder. Works great to add to say cleaner you mix up for washing say a house or things like canvas awnings... I used it for something else that it was great at but I can't remember what for the life of me. But search the internet, loads of unconventional uses for both Dawn and Oxy.

Z, I feel you on the flashlights. If you all haven't heard of or used one of these I highly recommend them, the NEBO Larry Light. I haven't used this newer strip LED

https://lapolicegear.com/nebo-6327-l...RoCmSoQAvD_BwE

I have these older style LED ones and they work awesome. have a pocket clip and a magnet in them

https://www.amazon.com/NEBO-Larry-Po...ashlight+larry

and in my experience they last forever
                                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X