This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    Has anyone heard of the tesla lighters. No flames, smoke or fuel, works when wet and 100% wind proof. This is being sold on survival frog.. I have seen it in other places but have not heard anything about how good it is.
    Can't say I've looked into it but I do know what u mean. I used to have a wind prook lighter where it used a similar glowing electric heat element but then butane also to make a mini blowtorch. I'd suggest checking out Youtube for some reviews to get the real deal info, not just marketing hype.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Can't say I've looked into it but I do know what u mean. I used to have a wind prook lighter where it used a similar glowing electric heat element but then butane also to make a mini blowtorch. I'd suggest checking out Youtube for some reviews to get the real deal info, not just marketing hype.
      I have already checked out the u tubes on them. Seem to be really great and work well but was looking to see if anyone has used one first hand. survival frog sells them and I have delt with them many times. Was thinking about buying one. Was hoping maybe someone has used one so I could get an idea if they really do work like they show in the utubes.

Comment

• So do these tesla lighters use a battery? have a hand crank or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
          So do these tesla lighters use a battery? have a hand crank or what?
          ZAGran they seem to be rechargeable from what I am seeing. If you go to survival frog it has a video on them as well as what they use. I have several ways to recharge things including solar. It reminds me of a stun gun type of lighter.

Comment

• Meijer had a sale on spaghetti for 74 cents a pound.. Best price I've seen in over 2 years. Already had 24 lbs of it (at $1/lb from Sam's Club) but we could always use more.

Wife brought home 150 pounds of it. She cleaned them out completely. I'm still packing it in Mylar.

The Sam's Club variety came in 6 lb boxes that had 1 pound bags in them.. I just poked a few holes in the original bags and stuffed them into 2 gallon Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers..

This darn Meijer stuff comes in cardboard boxes so I have to take it out and put it into 1 gallon ziplock bags.. I can put 5 lbs (5 boxes worth) in a 1 gallon ziplock.. Throw in an O2A and use a piece of packing tape to fold the end of the bag over (but not seal it)..

I can fit one 5lb ziplock and one 4lb ziplock into a single 2 gallon Mylar bag.

Looks like its going to fill up three of the 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck totes.

Walmart had a great deal on the 18 gallon totes as well.. We were able to purchase them in packs of 12 shipped to our door for $78.

Comment

• Are the totes bug or rat proof? If not, what is the point of so many?

Comment

• I bought a bunch of those Rubbermaid Roughneck totes and learned that they don't stack very well (not even two deep: one container on top of another one) unless only LIGHTWEIGHT items are in them. Otherwise, they slowly collapse over time. My totes were of medium weight and contained a variety of things packed into glass jars to prevent rodent damage in storage.
                Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM.
                Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofLiberty View Post
                  Are the totes bug or rat proof? If not, what is the point of so many?
                  We don't have rats.. the occasional country mouse, but no rats.. Never had a problem with a mouse chewing through anything plastic.. not saying they can't, just that its never been a problem.

Besides, I'm not so sure rats or bugs can even smell food through a Mylar bag enclosed in a container.

Never a problem so far..

Comment

• Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
                    I bought a bunch of those Rubbermaid Roughneck totes and learned that they don't stack very well (not even two deep: one container on top of another one) unless only LIGHTWEIGHT items are in them. Otherwise, they slowly collapse over time. My totes were of medium weight and contained a variety of things packed into glass jars to prevent rodent damage in storage.
                    Ya I noticed that as well... But they fit those 2 gallon mylar bags just perfectly and almost all of my bulk foods go into the 2 gallon bags.

Most of mine weigh around 50 to 60 lbs each when packed with dense food such as split peas, spaghetti, beans, etc. If I was going to be moving them around a lot, I would probably find something better.. .

When our local Meijer did a remodeling of the store, they were throwing out 40 yard dumpsters full of those heavy duty white metal shelving.. I must have grabbed about a hundred of them.. 48 wide x 24 deep with a 6 inch back plate.. Three trips in my pickup truck.

So I store heavy things on them like the rubber made totes, ammo cans, canned food, etc.. all go onto the metal shelves. You know when you buy those shelves at Home Depot and they claim they can support 200 lbs but in reality its more like 50 lbs? Well these Meijer shelves can easily take 200 lbs.. In fact, I have a few of them stacked 4 cans high from front to back.. probably 400+ lbs and not bending even the slightest.

They're nice.. they're all the same so everything is easy to organize and looks good.

Comment

• Put up another 8 lbs of sugar and 15 lbs of flour. The flour I oven can and use O2A in after they come out of oven then put lids on and they seal themselves. Also will be canning 10 lbs of sweet potatoes tomorrow as well as white potatoes. found a sell on canning jars but they were almost sold out but managed to get 2 boxes of pint jars. Walmart store was a wipeout. Grocery isle were almost empty. I am going to assume it is because of the hurricane, For us here it will be a strong tropical storm but tornatos and flooding can happen. The high winds can down trees causing power outages as well but this is something we are used to around here. All it takes is that tropical storm. Just depends on the wind speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murphy View Post

We don't have rats.. the occasional country mouse, but no rats.. Never had a problem with a mouse chewing through anything plastic.. not saying they can't, just that its never been a problem.

Besides, I'm not so sure rats or bugs can even smell food through a Mylar bag enclosed in a container.

Never a problem so far..
                        No rats here, either, but I suspected mice would get into a temporary rented storage unit (which they did). What I learned about mice and mylar: Rodents are natural born chewers. They will chew stuff to create nesting material, or to get at food, to keep their teeth from overgrowing, or for no apparent reason at all. Mylar is no deterrent to any rodent, no matter the size. Mylar inside of a tote should be safe from mice, but not rats. Those things will chew through unimaginable things, regardless of food value or not, and for the same reasons that mice will.

Speaking of rats... The darned things can chew through brick and cinderblock walls!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=rats...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

No rats here, either, but I suspected mice would get into a temporary rented storage unit (which they did). What I learned about mice and mylar: Rodents are natural born chewers. They will chew stuff to create nesting material, or to get at food, to keep their teeth from overgrowing, or for no apparent reason at all. Mylar is no deterrent to any rodent, no matter the size. Mylar inside of a tote should be safe from mice, but not rats. Those things will chew through unimaginable things, regardless of food value or not, and for the same reasons that mice will.

Speaking of rats... The darned things can chew through brick and cinderblock walls!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=rats...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                          I'm guessing that the reason you and I don't have rats is because we both live out in the countryside where natural predators (mostly the winged type), keep their numbers one step above extinction levels.

City environments are totally different.. lots of hiding places plus lots of food = huge populations. Add in underground infrastructure and it may as well be the perfect incubator..

I have mouse traps in the house.. I got 5 of them in the last decade or so, and four of them - plus one squirrel, all came through the same hole.... which is fixed now.
                          They got in via a small gap under the brick where the basement window meets the support plate above.. That is now filled with 1/16 stainless steel mesh screen and foam...
                          If they can chew through stainless steel, I'm leaving the state because that's one tough mouse.

Comment

• lol! I would probably run faster than you!

I know you were kidding about the stainless steel, but any kind of "super rodent" just creeps me out. As a child, I used to be terrified of rats because of the horror stories I heard growing up in New Orleans. (The famous brick-eating rats like the ones mentioned in the Google link, and the ones that made the news by chewing on the elderly, infirm, and babies as they slept...)

Bucket traps are in my preps, f'sure.

Here are some more ideas to protect our hard-earned preps:

https://greenratcontrol.com/10-geniu...next-macgyver/
                            Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 10-12-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Wow! That was some rat trap. We don't have rats either thank goodness. Have had a field mouse get into house once or twice. Cat took care of that. We found where they got in at and fixed that problem. Pipe leading in under kitchen sink from under house. So hubby fixed that around house. Also mice do not like steel wool. So if you have a hole around a pipe coming from outside wall. stuff it with steel wool around the pipe and mice will not come near it.

Comment

I bought a bunch of those Rubbermaid Roughneck totes and learned that they don't stack very well (not even two deep: one container on top of another one) unless only LIGHTWEIGHT items are in them. Otherwise, they slowly collapse over time. My totes were of medium weight and contained a variety of things packed into glass jars to prevent rodent damage in storage.
                                Grizzy, anything in Glass is going to be heavy, just think how much a flat of 12 - 1 qt jars weigh empty. If you go on U-line they have some decent prices on various bins that you can get heavy duty industrial grade. We use these at the plant for collecting parts off the machines and though what we put in them is light these things will take a beating as they get thrown and tossed around on a hourly basis, 7 days a week 361 days a year (we only shut down 4 days) and they hold up.

Here is a link to an example (also note these are FDA food contact compliant meaning you could use these in a canning operation or similar without worring about lining but also great if you have concerns on storing food stuffs in only food grade container. You can see they sell the lid separate but they are made to stack and very tough.
                                Uline stocks a huge selection of Stack And Nest Container, Stack And Nest Containers and Stack Nest Containers. Order by 6 pm for same day shipping. Over 34,000 products in stock. 11 Locations across USA, Canada and Mexico for fast delivery of Stack and
                                Last edited by CountryGuy; 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM. Reason: mispellings galore...
                                I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X