Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, today I fully expected to report on restocking pantry after doing inventory. No such luck. I hit Walmart first because I wanted to get the things I could only get there out of the way. Pet food in 50 lb bags check. Then to grocery for staples Good Grief Charley Brown. Apparently the recent law that passed allowing grocery stores to carry hard liquor had hit Walmart. They were in the process of totally rearranging that half of store and spilling over into the pharmacy section where they keep the otc meds. Carts of veggies in the aspirin isle, detergent with the toothbrushes and so on. After 20 min of trying to find peppermint oil, I gave up and took myself and my dog food to the checkout. First time I ever left Walmart with a bill of less than $50!

Comment

• To prepare for a strong storm I changed out all my water storage to carry fresh water. That took over 2 days.

Comment

• For us we are out of the woods where Florence is concerned but have already got things together. Though we are not fully out of the woods as we are under a tropical storm watch. We will have flooding in all low laying areas. These type storms I don't usually do much preparing for but we have already got water situation done and plenty of food and the car is still packed ready to go though don't think that will happen now. We have been through many tropical storms and nothing happened but it only takes one..
        Rich, we have not heard anything more in 2 or 3 days about the hurricanes behind Florence. Stay safe and I know you are in full gear to get ready just in case. I really hope and pray the other ones will turn out to sea. And you guys will be ok..

Comment

• Looks like the Carolina's dodged a bullet. Still have the rain to contend with but as expected the media over-hyping it as the storm of all storms didn't come close. A few days ago some talking face was like "it could be so bad it might even got to a cat 6... think they'd research a bit but guess a cat 5 just wasn't bad enough for his fear hyping...

Still everyone be safe. People up our way are bracing for the rain next week from this as we're soaked and flooding already so even a few more inches could get bad for a lot of people.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• CG, cat 5 is as high as hurricanes go.. This did for only a brief second go to a 5 but it was before it hit land. The numbers on this one was not the problem, it was the flooding. That was really bad. There were 5 killed from this hurricane. Two of them was a mother and 8 month old baby as a tree fell on the house and trapping the father who is still alive but badly hurt and in hospital.. All the rain ahead of the storm saturated the ground and trees came down as the wet grounds could not hold the roots. We in VA dodged the bullet on this one though we did have some low laying areas that flooded but no damage. Florence is hitting S. Carolina now. The flooding is what tour things up. It was that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              CG, cat 5 is as high as hurricanes go.. This did for only a brief second go to a 5 but it was before it hit land. The numbers on this one was not the problem, it was the flooding. That was really bad. There were 5 killed from this hurricane. Two of them was a mother and 8 month old baby as a tree fell on the house and trapping the father who is still alive but badly hurt and in hospital.. All the rain ahead of the storm saturated the ground and trees came down as the wet grounds could not hold the roots. We in VA dodged the bullet on this one though we did have some low laying areas that flooded but no damage. Florence is hitting S. Carolina now. The flooding is what tour things up. It was that bad.
              Oh i know they only got to CAT 5, you think the talking head/ weather guesser on TV would know that too. Just another example of media always trying to overhype anything. The so puffed this up that it was going to be the worst storm of ever, a CAT 12, everyone is going to die, it'll erode the coast back to Kentucky and all this other junk, then as it approaches to make land fall it drops to a CAT 1. Wow talk about a let down for all those news people hoping to cash in on death and destruction.

Not sure if you all have seen the clip from the other day where the weather guy is leaning into the wind and going on about how dangerous this storm is and how he's blah blah blah and in the shot behind him to young guys are strolling up the road unaffected by any wind.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkDice/vi...action_generic

Oh and here is a reenactment for comedic relief...

https://www.facebook.com/brent.reave...action_generic

Comment

• I saw that news cast and was laughing. True we did dodge the bullet as it was coming right toward us here in VA. But this hurricane did not do all that they said it would. Very much over kill. Though people know what can happen that live in these areas and anytime you have a lot of rain before a hurricane hits you can be sure trees are going to fall. This is one reason we have no trees around our house that could fall on it. We have seen first hand what will happen. I really feel sorry for that family that lost 2 family members but never ever have an oak tree so close to your house that it will cut it in half. Five people lost their lives in that hurricane more than likely because they did not do what was needed to be done to protect themselves. I never take any hurricane lightly but I also know the news will hipe things up to be worse than they are. The only thing we did for this was to pick up the yard do to high winds and went to store to buy a dozen eggs. That was my prep because we were already prepared for anything that could happen. I already knew we would not have to evac. We are not in any flood zone.

Comment

• Well I said it would be the water that does all the damage from this hurricane and not the hurricane itself. This just in from Alerts USA. Dozens of dams across the Carolinas under threat of failure due to heavy rainfall. Residents in region urged to monitor local news and heed any evac. orders.
                  Also Cedar told me there were 6 nuclear plants in the Carolinas 3 in N. Carolina and 3 in S. Carolina. I do believe they did shut these down but not sure of that as news does not report this.

Comment

• Bought another 100 pounds of rolled oats to be packed into Mylar bags.
                    Bought another mobile 144/440 ham radio.. This one has Cross Band Repeat. Coupled to a roll-up j-pole antenna, we have a 75 foot oak tree on top of a hill we can hoist than antenna up to. We did a test a couple weeks ago and found out that we have at least a 30 mile radius.

Built my wife a Get Home Bag complete with Yaesu FT60r (packed in Faraday bag) to communicate with me from home, as well as all the normal get home stuff she would need. The pack even has a 2 liter water bladder in it. We set up a frequency and travel route plan so we can talk to each other and I can meet her on her path home.

Inventoried all of our food supplies yesterday, loaded it all into a spread sheet and then calculated the calorie counts for each item. Found out we have approximately 3.5 million calories stored. Its amazing how many calories are in a 50lb bag of split peas or rice. While we have a wide variety of foods, most of the calories are contained within rolled oats, beans, rice, split peas, corn meal, flour, powdered eggs and powdered milk.

I also got lucky and sourced (free for the taking) about 3 dozen NiCad "D" sized batteries as well as about 5 dozen "C" sized of the same. After spending the past two weeks running them through my battery analyzer, I only found 6 batteries that were low on capacity while the rest are still at 95% of their rated specs. All those battery packs were thrown out because of just 6 bad cells...

Comment

• Updated my electronic storage library to include the specifications on over 200 different Lithium Ion 18650 batteries. Most people don't realize you can't just grab an 18650 battery and use it wherever you want. They have different capacities and maximum discharge rates. Some can only power up to 4 or 5 amps while others can put out up to 30 amps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        Well I said it would be the water that does all the damage from this hurricane and not the hurricane itself. This just in from Alerts USA. Dozens of dams across the Carolinas under threat of failure due to heavy rainfall. Residents in region urged to monitor local news and heed any evac. orders.
                        Also Cedar told me there were 6 nuclear plants in the Carolinas 3 in N. Carolina and 3 in S. Carolina. I do believe they did shut these down but not sure of that as news does not report this.
                        I have 2 cousins and their families that live in the south Congaree area of Columbia, about 3 miles from where we used to live in West Columbia. I warned them last week to keep an eye out for Lake Murray as it is an old earthen damn and even though they've done work on it in the last 10 years or so it's a very wide damn breast and when we lived there in heavy rain events they'd worry about it failing. Since they are only a few miles down from it I've warned them to keep things packed and any crucial items in the car ready to go.

I know they were talking about the 6 nukes, and to be honest I didn't watch much of the coverage or fear mongering but to me the biggest concern and I don't know if it was included in the 6, would be SRS - Savannah River Site where they use to use their reactors to (and possibly still do) refine uranium for weapons. That would be an absolute nightmare if that flooded out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                          Inventoried all of our food supplies yesterday, loaded it all into a spread sheet and then calculated the calorie counts for each item. Found out we have approximately 3.5 million calories stored. Its amazing how many calories are in a 50lb bag of split peas or rice. While we have a wide variety of foods, most of the calories are contained within rolled oats, beans, rice, split peas, corn meal, flour, powdered eggs and powdered milk.
                          Murphy, I'm curious, do you have various recipes to make with all of that and/ or do you regularly make meals out of them or try different recipes? I always wonder about the staples we have back and I worry that depending how long we'd have to go off them, how much variety we could work in before the kids and us get bored and then sick of the red beans and rice, rice and red beans menu rotation.

We have other items but I'm guessing like others, there are certain items we're heavy weighted to. Like you're list, you can only eat oats, peas and powder milk so many meals and days in a row before the crew is ready to mutiny.Just curious as to what others do currently or have planned after SHTF.
                          Last edited by CountryGuy; 09-17-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

Murphy, I'm curious, do you have various recipes to make with all of that and/ or do you regularly make meals out of them or try different recipes? I always wonder about the staples we have back and I worry that depending how long we'd have to go off them, how much variety we could work in before the kids and us get bored and then sick of the red beans and rice, rice and red beans menu rotation.

We have other items but I'm guessing like others, there are certain items we're heavy weighted to. Like you're list, you can only eat oats, peas and powder milk so many meals and days in a row before the crew is ready to mutiny.Just curious as to what others do currently or have planned after SHTF.
                            We make a lot of soups.. While not so much in the hot summer, soups are what we eat most of during the winter. Its nothing for my wife to make a 3 gallon pot of beef, chicken, or fish soup that will last two or three days.. throw in a bunch of meat, potatoes, corn, carrots, lentils, split peas, beans, etc.. Our soups are quite thick and would almost be classified as a stew.. but not quite. I guess in an SHTF world, she'd probably throw in a bunch of oatmeal as well.

She also makes me a tomato and rice soup that I grew up on so there's that too.

As we get older, we have noticed that we are eating more basic foods. If I want meat, she'll make a steak or a roast and serve it with a sliced cucumber or tomato.. or she might cook it with bell peppers and mushrooms. But it will be a basic two or three item meal.

My electronic library is quite vast and contains thousands of pdf files, videos, and various databases.. it has about 300 cook books on everything from how to make cheeses and different breads, to the basic housewife cook books. Multiple backup copies all stored in a >160db Faraday cage with a couple of Panasonic Toughbooks. I'm also about 3 miles from a small public library and my office is wall to wall books as well.

I can't claim that cooking is something either my wife or I are interested in, but we have the information if its needed.

I have a piece of software that can download an entire website and put it into a folder.. When you click on it, it opens your browser and acts just like the original website. Its allowed me to download entire databases of everything from medical reference and cooking recipes to the technical specifications of every 18650 battery made.

Variety is important, but having the staple foods in bulk quantities is even more important. We have Chocolate, crackers, peanut butter, jellies, popcorn, etc.. but they're in volumes measured in buckets, not shelves full of Rubbermaid totes.

Think of the most basic of staples like flour.. Flour is huge.. Its used for making breads, cookies, cakes, breading fish, and more things than I can think of.. and its such a basic thing.

How many things can be done with oatmeal? You can add fruits and honey for breakfast, make oatmeal cookies, add it to soups, breads, and a whole variety of things. It adds calories and bulk to a whole lot of recipes. I'm not really a fan of lentils, but if you throw in a cup or two into a pot of soup, I'll eat them right up with everything else.

I think the reason we call them "staple foods" is because they're packed full of nutrition and calories and we can do so many things with them.. I'm starting to stock up on more than I need of the cheap staples for trading purposes. Oatmeal, flour, sugar and rice. While flour is a bit of a gamble, the oatmeal, sugar and rice will last for 3 decades or more being stored in mylar in my cold basement. During the winter, my basement gets down to 40 degrees sometimes.

Comment

• Each day, I work on "deep" preps as backups to Plan A, B, and C.

This includes preparing for the possibility of losing the preps that I have now. Material things can be lost through eventual depletion during prolonged austere times or lost to whatever the calamity of the day may befall them (fire, etc.).

I already know self-sufficiency basics, how to garden, can/ dehydrate foods, make soap, cheese, sourdough bread using wild yeasts, tan hides, flintknapping, bowhunting etc. etc., but I don't regard these things as the deeper things of survival because I have been doing these things for decades.

Deep preps include refining and sharpening my self-sufficiency skills such as:

- Transplanting more wild edibles and medicinals into my area.

- Planting more things that don't appear to be food to the casual observer, but have high nutritional value (my camouflage garden is sizable, but I want more in other locations).

- Naturalizing the above plants by encouraging them to grow prolifically in patches by providing the ideal habitat (site selection, soil amendments, etc.)

- Learning how to identify and use more new plants for food and medicine (I already know a great deal, but I may be an old, old lady before I learn them all).

- Honing my flintknapping skills (I can quickly make an arrowhead out of glass or natural materials but my flintknapped knives take longer because they sometimes break and turn into "oh shit" rocks before I am finished.)

- Practice my atlatl marksmanship (I used to be deadly accurate, but it's been a few years and I am rusty).

- Make new bird-traps and practice breasting out birds for dinner. (I am too slow.)

- Learn how to raise more species of micro-livestock. I already have the crickets and mealworms down pat, but want to broaden my horizon. (Remember, I am seeking these alternatives just in case all my preps get used up or vanish for some reason. Foraging daily for these items is NOT practical. Ask any bear how long it takes to get a daily supply of grubs, lol.)

I could go on and on, but you get the idea...

Last, but not least, my most important daily prep includes cultivating a strong mental and spiritual health because having a sound mind and spirit has carried me better than any physical prep ever has.
                              Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 09-18-2018, 02:13 AM.
                              Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

• Grizzlyette: Just want to say I am truly impressed by your skills. You have taken prepping and self-sufficiency to an entirely different level. You are practicing things I have never even thought of. Thank you for posting, and for sharing. Wild edibles, and medicinals are something I want to learn. I really want to go out into the woods with an expert and have them show me what is good and what is bad. That is a more effective learning method for me than looking at pictures in a book or on line.
                                The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X