Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ, I'm 45 so basically the same age as your daughter. Don't think this mean, just facts, but sounds like you might have created your own beastie. From the bit you mentioned she and her hubby never fell flat on their face and had to pull themselves up. Mom was always there to rush in and keep them from falling and scratching their knee. Now, like SD says, in their eyes your their welfare system. With that they figure they can do whatever they want, no matter how dumb or immature and there is no consequence since they have you to pull their fat out of the proverbial fire. Have you pulled your daughter aside and voiced your concerns directly and plainly to her? If not it sounds like the time has come. Voice your concern that you feel it looks like shes making bad career and financial decisions and that you're in no way going to bankroll or food bankroll her crash. I mean, even if she hates her boss or job but is in a good career field, then go find another company with a different business/ company rather than switch careers midstream.

I'm going to assume she's going to have a negative reaction and this is where you're going have to give a dose of tough love, but state it in no uncertain facts that if they flop on their face because they are on this path to ruin, there will be no help from you at all beyond say direct help to your grandkids unless they to likely need a dose of real world and likely better at a young age than at 46. Maybe I'm a bit confused, but is it her daughters she's trying to keep pace with or would it be her nieces?

Tough situation but you have to draw your line and then hold it, no matter how much yelling, gnashing of teeth, or pleading she throws at you.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Very sad news AJ. I hope it all works out for you, and for them. I would hope that the grandson who spends so much time with you is old enough to see and understand how you have baled his parents' chestnuts out of the fire. Where would they have been if you had not been prepared? Where would they have been if you had not been fiscally responsible? More than likely homeless and starving.

It sounds like all of your grandchildren are young adults, and should know better. Your daughter may have hit a mid-life crisis that she has to work through. As others have said as hard as it is, tough love will be needed. If you continue to bale them out they will continue to come back for more. Be prepared. The next thing you will hear from her is " You have all of that food stored that you will never eat. Why can't we have it? You won't use it." The entitlement mentality is lurking.

Good to see you posting again. We would love to have you come back. You are always in our prayers. Still part of the prepper family.
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• CG, The girls are my daughter's children. She likes to keep up and do like the 23 year old the most. My 26 year old is the one married and lives in MD.
        Hubby and I have checked out a climate controlled storage shed. We are going to box up the 25 year freeze dried foods and take to that shed. The temps in there was 60 degrees, was surprised at that. We got a small one for what we are planning. All our store bought canned foods are going in there as well. All boxes will be dated and marked as to what is in each one. We are going to pull the toilet paper, towels and things we have for hard times to put in there as well. There will be other things but the food will be on shelving so we will be using that for our store per say so we will be rotating from the shed. It is not far from us so would not be a problem to make a weekly trip to it. My grandson will not know about it as I don't want him slipping up and saying something to his mother and father. I figure things for them will start going south in the next year or so.
        I don't know what has turned them away from prepping as she doesn't want to talk about it other than to say she and my son in law think now things are getting better and there is no longer any need to be prepared for anything other than a hurricane. We cannot afford to make their house, car and camper payments so they are on their own. I did find out that about 6 years ago my son in law borrowed about twenty thousand dollars from his parents. They were supposed to pay that back when my daughter got her money from her grandparents house on her real father's side of family. They never payed his parents back. When they moved in with us twice for 5 months each time waiting for their house to be built. They never offered to help with food nor help with the extra I was paying out for utilities.. So I had already told them they cannot stay here if they decide to move again in 2 or 3 years. So they have now been in the same house for 15 years with talk over the past two years of selling and moving again. They will be on their own if house sales out from under them before finding a new house, which my daughter wants to build again. I guess now is the time to get tough. And yes tough love is hard but I think it is past time. We can no longer be the bread basket for them. They have enjoyed the life of rally for way to long. This has really been a shock for us as they were really into prepping. But for my son in law to turn away from two of his best friends because he thinks their prepping is out of hand is beyond me.
        Hubby and I are just going to continue to do what we feel we need to do and just let them alone. I am hoping they will come back around but we will see over the next few months.
        Morgan, You could be right this could just be a mid life crisis they are both going through, as he is 51 and she is 47 as of this August.
        As far as I am concerned maybe things in this country are turning around for the better. But I can say it will not last.. This is nothing more than a false peace sort of speak. We are heading for a financal collaspe and it may be world wide. Not to mention the possibility of an EMP or even war.. We don't know what the future holds for us but right now I don't even see D. Trump finishing out his term as president. Just hope these kids wake up soon and get their heads out of the sand.

Comment

• Found out that the food that my daughter was storing from my house, they have gone through it and it is almost gone. They are not saving nor storing any food for long term. Why do I see a disaster coming out of all this so called turn around they have done? I just don't have time to worry about what it is they are going through right now. I think in time they will turn back around but I cannot help them this time. She is not talking now. We are thinking about starting to look for land again. My daughter wanted us to hold off, but now with the way they are acting, I am not sure that is now a good idea.

Comment

• I ended up with a upset,or what ever stomach yesterday afternoon. Then a rushed trip to the tolet at 1 Something in the morning. Everything came up...and because of that..Im relearning home Remedies for upset stomachs. I first drank some peptal.not much help.then a honey and lemon juice mix.that helped.plus i just finished a bowl of my homemade chicken soup.doing even better now.
            be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

• My full time job is building caches, recovering old caches, and reconfiguring those contents and merging with new contents. I have so many caches..........even I think it is funny, and a weeee bit crazy. So that is how I spent the day.......doing cache work.
              One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• Today I was at Wal Mart and found a new product for my bug-out bag and first aid kits. It is called "Blood Stop" used the same way other much more costly product. It is used by pouring into the wound one of three packets of clotting powder to stop the flow of blood. This is not for cuts and scrapes but for life threatening bleeding. No it is not a replacement for a tourniquet but is used for bleeding, a bandage will not stop. Cost for 3 packets was $4.96 a lot less then the others starting at $25.00 ++.

Comment

• Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                  Today I was at Wal Mart and found a new product for my bug-out bag and first aid kits. It is called "Blood Stop" used the same way other much more costly product. It is used by pouring into the wound one of three packets of clotting powder to stop the flow of blood. This is not for cuts and scrapes but for life threatening bleeding. No it is not a replacement for a tourniquet but is used for bleeding, a bandage will not stop. Cost for 3 packets was $4.96 a lot less then the others starting at $25.00 ++.
                  What department was it in........????
                  One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

• By the band aids in Over the Counter Meds.

Comment

• Thank You..........

Comment

• AJ,
                        So sorry to hear the issues you're going thru with your daughter. To me they totally have taken advantage of your kindness and trust. If they've burned up the stores of your food you had stored there for everyone and they used it up behind your back; you can't trust them at all. Child or not. Being devils advocate, is it possible they have gotten into drugs?

IMHO, I think you and Hubby need to do whatever is best for you two in the years you have remaining to safeguard your lives. Do not worry about your daughter and son in law as they have shown you clearly they only worry about themselves. I mean they're 50 years old, not 20 something. Bluntly they have their heads stuck up their butts and if they haven't figured it out by now by this point in life, they are not going to. I hate to say it, but I think it's a false hope on your part that they will somehow turn back on the right path.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sourdough View Post
                          Thank You..........
                          I'm curious, what's your closest Walmart? I know you mentioned before you only go to town once a year. This might sound stupid but can you order stuff on line and have it mail dropped somewhere semi close to you or do they hold it for you until you're able to get to town?

Comment

• CG, found out last night that my daughter was saving up to buy a new car and give our grandson her car. So she went through our supplies to save on groceries.. That was fine but she should have let me know. The plan was to go the cheaper route and buy grandson a used truck. But leave it to my daughter to want the best and newest.. And yes she has always been that way. Build a new house, new car as old just won't do. So she bought a Mazda C3. Nice car but small. Looks like an SUV want a be. No trunk room to speak of and no back seat leg room hardly. So I am just doing what I said. Got the climate controlled shed and put shelving in it. All of our freeze dried foods and some other things will be stored in there. The shed is maybe 10 minutes from us and I can just make a weekly trip to get a weeks worth of food for home and restock the newer foods in back. I am working on a system for it. But it looks like it will work out really good.. Will free up my house and Everything will be in order in that shed much better than I can organize it in my house. I really think that she will wake up when she realizes I am not talking to her about being prepared for the coming hurricane season. They lost water in past as well as electric. So I will just wait and see what they do.

Comment

• sounds like an excuse to get a new car... what and how old is the one she's giving your Grandson?

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post

I'm curious, what's your closest Walmart? I know you mentioned before you only go to town once a year. This might sound stupid but can you order stuff on line and have it mail dropped somewhere semi close to you or do they hold it for you until you're able to get to town?
                                Walmart = Anchorage, Alaska a little over hundred miles.

I started ordering stuff from Amazon.com about two years ago...........and it either comes in the Mail or UPS. UPS leaves stuff at the bottom of the mountain, and I backpack it up to the cabin, or wheelbarrow or sled.

Comment

Working...
                                X