Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my Pocket Constitutions today! Enclosing one with senior graduation card I'm giving this year. Others will go to family members who acknowledged they know little about what the Constitution actually says.
    I'm thinking about the 100 copies for $40 with the idea of passing them out at church. Will check with deacons & elders (via male family members) first. Maybe pair them with pocket Bibles given to youngster and visitors.. Seems like a good idea to me. Will see how response works out.
    Last edited by ZAGran; 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling as usual

Comment

• Finished the jerky on the halves my brother wanted me to make. He provided the beef, I did the cutting, seasoning and drying. By the time I finished my half he and his family had devoured his half. So this next Wed he is going to bring me some more beef and his son is going to try to learn how to do it like I do to make it so tender. Not much different than he does it. My secret is to slice it cross grain, not with the grain and flatten it out a bit.

Comment

• I reorganized my car kit; combining three bags into one. The trunk of my car is light years better organized, and I know what is in there, and where it all is. I combined everything into an old duffel bag.

Side benefit. It seems that anytime I tackle one of these projects I am rewarded by St. Anthony (I'm Catholic. Patron Saint of lost items.). I had not used this duffel for some time. I knew there were things in it stored from a closet mishap a few years ago. In the duffel were a backpack, fanny pack, holster, small kit bag, my old handwritten prepping manual, and some other personal items. Maybe I should go through these things more often!!
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morgan101 View Post
          I reorganized my car kit; combining three bags into one. The trunk of my car is light years better organized, and I know what is in there, and where it all is. I combined everything into an old duffel bag.

Side benefit. It seems that anytime I tackle one of these projects I am rewarded by St. Anthony (I'm Catholic. Patron Saint of lost items.). I had not used this duffel for some time. I knew there were things in it stored from a closet mishap a few years ago. In the duffel were a backpack, fanny pack, holster, small kit bag, my old handwritten prepping manual, and some other personal items. Maybe I should go through these things more often!!
          That's always the best... like when you put on a jacket you haven't worn in a few years and find a $20 in the pocket.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• - this morning I am filtering the honey off the burr comb I scraped off a hive the other day, and brought down to a friend's house for our morning tea and biscuits. I am actually surprised I seem to have gotten a bit more than a pint. Burr comb is the random comb built where you don't want it to be built, like the lid, tops of frames, ect. But a bunch of worker bees had been caught up in it when I scraped, so I had to filter them out.

- drove 4 hours yesterday to help out a 'prepper' friend for a few days, whom has had mutiple surgeries in the last few months due to work related injuries (and falling over the dishwasher door). He also has tools to send back with me to build my house, as well as materials he doesn't want for my hoophouse solar room.

- still trying to get ahold of my concrete man for my foundation.

- actually got some deep quality sleep last night. I generally sleep well, but I don't have my cat here sleeping on top of me, and my daughter is not in a bunk over the top of me. We each have our own rooms! Bliss!!!

Cedar

Comment

• Finished turning a full pork loin into jerky after a trial run. It turned out really good. Now I can keep some on hand easier for a few months longer. Pork loin goes on sale a lot more often than beef cuts good for jerky and is cheaper too. If I could I would turn a whole cow into jerky! And cure a whole hog. Pipe dreams are good but keeping in practice of curing and preserving meat and other foods keeps me ahead of the game if the occasion ever does arrive.

Comment

• Have started some home renovations with the future in mind. First project is to get the last of the carpeting out of what is to become a sleeping room in the summer should electric fail, and put in a vinyl floor that looks like hardwood. Of course will do some painting and a few other cosmetic updates after the carpet is gone and before the new floor is put in. Also trying to determine just where I can incorporate some more or less hidden storage space for necessities. I have a few ideas that will only require a small additional wall and moving a cabinet door. Keeping me busy right now clearing out the room so can work in there and finding areas in the rest of the house to put stuff until finnished. Since family is doing the work I need to keep beds free and clear so that when ready the floor can go down in one weekend. having to be creative with places to put all that stuff. We don't have a pod container available in this rural area and the barn is only good things that are not fabric. Dust, mice, & cats etc. live in the barn.

Comment

• Z check with some of those sea container places as often they'll rent a unit to you and deliver it. They often do for construction sites for tool and materials storage. But that might be a lot more money than you want to spend but depending on how much remodeling in total you plan to do it might be worth having it if you think it might take say 2 or so months.
                  I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• My 40ft container was $1900, and delivery was just under $300. I really can't wait to get it gone when my house is done though.

Cedar

Comment

• $2000 is a little much for me at the moment. I didn't want to put much in my basement/tornado shelter but I think I can store enough of the soft goods there under the benches to make it without compromising the capacity for people. Usually it is just me and the dog but on occasion I need room for 8 to 10. If pressed we could sit on the boxes. Besides, a few extra clothes, quilts, etc might come in handy if one did hit the house. Just will need help getting the boxes up and down the stairs.

Comment

• ZG -- look into WW2 Anderson shelters. I am considering one after I saw one at a local air museum in Tillamook. Will fit a family of 4 and some supplies. Tight, but doable.

Cedar

Comment

• This week:
                          - put up over 100lbs organic strawberries between 3 of us, jam, freezing, 1.5 gall9ns of syrup and dehydrating.

- PT, did a 10 mile hike on Friday, 40lbs weight, 1,100 ft elevation change.

-Temporarily moved my 7 beehives 12 miles to a friends farm while construction is happening here. Tonight, i need to kill the stragglers I have not been able to catch in the last 2 days, as they are not beeeing very nice, and they are going to die from starvation/elements anyway.

- My daughter started 2 weeks of swimming lessons today. She is now taking them every summer.

- made a doctor appointment for myself, as it has been awhile.

- moved and sorted out one of 3 boneyards (pvc pipe, metal pipe, doors, ceramic floor tiles, etc) I have going, got them into more proper groups, started on the one which is in the way of my electric going in, as the guys changed the plan, and are now not boring it the whole way. waking up at 4am before it gets too hot to move 2 slings of pressure treated lumber, a hog feeder, and some pallets. It is going to be weird weedeatering at 4am. But the grass and thistles are making it necessary to do so, so I don'
                          gave yo fight it with 16fy long boards.

- The 220 trackhoe for my foundation and stump removal showed up this morning. They start tomorrow or Wednesday.

Cedar
                          Last edited by Cedar; 06-18-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Since we were both without kids today, I took my friend N to one of my favorite secondhand stores after she helped me move a sling of lumber.

I scored on 60 Tattled lids, rubber rings, and a couple boxes of new rings for $4
                            Found two vintage cast iron corn stick pans, that I am trying to ID, for $7 each
                            One of my favorite cookbooks, but my original is imploding, got it for $1
                            3 cookie stainless steel cookie molds (?), that are like long tubes, for soapmaking $2 each

Spent time with a friend today without kids = $Priceless

On the homefront, my foundation digout for the house was finished today. Concrete guys will start setting forms Monday.

30 or so huge stumps got ripped out by the trackhoe. Only 60 +/- to go.

Moved and restacked 2 slings of 10 to 16ft 2x6s into a new pile out of the way.

Pulled some Tansy Ragwort by hand (and hopefully that' the end of it after 3 years of pulling it), and cut down anything resembling thistles (which I know I am not at the end of).

Cedar

Comment

• Discovered something when helping grandsons move and store stuff in basement on a temporary basis. A roll of nylon/fiberglass window screening. Bought it a number of years back to repair screens in a camper trailer before putting it up for sale. There is enough left to do about 3 windows. Since I have seven windows in the room that would become the sleeping area in the summer if there would be no air-conditioning should the power go out I thought it best to invest in another full roll to keep those screens in repair should something happen. Sleeping with bugs (misquotes, flies, moths and so on) is not idea. Anyone else have screen replacements on hand or feel the need for it?

Comment

• I usually do as at the last home, some possessed or rabid ravens clawed out every single window and sliding glass door screen each year.

Make sure yp have the tool for splimng them back in as well.

Cedar

Comment

Working...
                                X