This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    Warrior you may read what I wrote under the thread on EMP.. Others might want to read it as well..
    AJ, I understand if you go, but I wish you would stay. Our diversity of experiences is what makes this site unique.

Dale
    Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

• The beauty of this site is that people here treat each other with respect. We value each other's opinions, and we listen. You can respectfully disagree, and state your reasons without attacking or belittling anybody. You could debate at least two sides to every single post on this site. Nothing is absolute. You read, and learn, and make your own informed decision for what is best for you.

O.K. I am off the soap box now. We can get back to prepping.
      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Well was out of town for business and by the looks of it I see Mr IL Warrior got himself banned. a Shame as I think he had a lot of knowledge, just not the ability to get it across in a constructive manor.

Oh well... moving on
        I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Just because I've not posted for a few weeks does not mean I haven't been working on my preps. Another store had a special on the banannas a couple of weeks after my last post so I bought the same amount again. Just as well, half of my last run was already gone after a couple of visits by grand children. The store what you eat and eat what you store is in full force here. Took yearly inventory of my stores, pulled several things from it as they were within six months of best by date and put them in my kitchen pantry, front and center. will replace with one less for the five year span. I like what I pulled and rest of family eats them but not as much as I so a bit further down on the list they go. Planning on more canning as spring approaches. Tried canning some wild onions and only filled up 1/2 pint jar. guess we will just have to remember where they grow and use the Native American rule my husband taught me. One for me, one for the animals and one for seed. In other words when taking something from nature, don't take all, only 1/3. Otherwise next year there will be none and the animals will be fewer as well. You may need those animals to eat one day.
          Well back to the quilting.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
            ...use the Native American rule my husband taught me. One for me, one for the animals and one for seed. In other words when taking something from nature, don't take all, only 1/3. Otherwise next year there will be none and the animals will be fewer as well. You may need those animals to eat one day.
            Well back to the quilting.
            Excellent advise and reminder. Eat it all today and there will be none for tomorrow.

And if I didn't say it already, welcome back Z!

Comment

• ZAGran: Glad you are back. Hope all is going well!!
              The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Knowing tornado weather was here I did my yearly clean/refresh of the shelter in my basement last week before 4 teenage boys arrived to spend the weekend. Replaced batteries, water jugs, cliff bars, candles and lighters in case of extended power outage. (you would be surprised how comforting it is to a young person to have something to munch on while waiting out a storm) Did a slight rearrangement of seating/storage to make the boys feel more comfortable in small space. Added an extra 3 day's worth of food/water for 2 just in case. I usually keep 3 days for 5 but boys this age come with hollow legs so I bumped it up just in case. Washed what bedding that needed it (blankets, small pillows) and tumbled rest in dryer on air with a dryer sheet to freshen them a bit and replaced them in their waterproof bags.
                Found something for the boys to take to the basement so I point out that section in the corner in case of storm.

They showed up Friday mid afternoon. Free labor from the boys had the yard in shape after winter storms and rocks, really big ones, reset and added to along the stream to slow the water down as it comes out of it's bank during spring rains. That took less time than I thought it would 'cause they worked really well together. Then they were off to explore the woods until dark. Was up late playing games and up early Saturday morning to fish. Had pretty good luck in the pond so we had an outdoor campfire fish fry Saturday night (I had planned on hot dogs just in case fish didn't bite). Played a couple of other games and hit the hay at 10:00pm. Up 8:00am to make 9:30 church services and then loaded up to go home. They striped the beds and remade them, gathered all the towels and used sheets and carried them to the laundry room before heading home.
                They all had a great time apparently, because they asked if they could come back in a month if school/sports allowed them time. I know I had a great time.
                The only work out I had was giving instructions for rock placing. And demonstrating the fine art of filleting the larger fish. They even built the cook fire, with my grandson giving directions of how to use dry pine cones as fire starters. I was proud of him, only took 1 match. He wasn't sure enough of his striking technique to try that. Besides, they were starving! Lunch was 4 hrs ago and the fire needed to burn down before cooking started. S'mores for dessert. To quote the old church news letter "Fun was had by all".
                Last edited by ZAGran; 03-26-2018, 10:03 PM. Reason: repeated words

Comment

• No work tomorrow, so it's an all night Fallout 4 gaming marathon.... gotta practice my frag grenade skills... hey, it could come in handy!

Comment

• Anyone else pre order Elon Musk's flame thrower?

Comment

• Making Rosemary, Garlic, and Thyme flavored Ghee (clarified butter) and putting up in 1/2 pint wide mouth Ball jars. The butter will keep a year on the shelf (no refrigeration needed) and 3 months when opened. Plain Ghee just does not work for me, but the infused butter oil is very delicious.

It will be solid at room temperature.

Super easy to make.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by herk7769; 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NRAamy View Post
                        Anyone else pre order Elon Musk's flame thrower?
                        For the price of his cars he should include one in the trunk. Call it the optional cigarette lighter

Comment

• Finished buying paint for 2 rifles that I want to camo. Rattle can multicam paint job in the future. Bought a couple boxes of turkey ammo for the 20 ga. Started reworking the woodshed to use 1/2 as a storage area for the riding mower and so I can rework the mower shed for the side by side. First day of nice weather in a month and a half, so I enjoyed working outside. Loved hearing the spring peepers

Dale.
                          Judge no one, until you have walked in the same mud and spilt the same blood. Him, I call brother.

Comment

• Well I just went down thru the first page of intros and messaged the original poster to let them know we're here and want them to join us. So hopefully it helps get 1 or 2 to start. Maybe a page a day? Sort of a form note but tried to add something personal based on if or what they put in their post. Maybe someone could start from the back end of the list from years ago. Maybe we can get some of the old members re-engaged and utilize their wisdom and experience?

Comment

• updated the "Family Plan" regarding when and where we move to if we have to leave. Fortunately my son-in-law and daughter-in-law are on board with this, making it easier and more fun to do the planning. Also went through the supplies and located a couple out of date items, making a list of things I need to restock. I had been separating my food into similar groups but that makes it too hard to keep track of the dates of the food. So I'm switching a bit and now will just keep each batch of food in the same container with similar expiration dates. Hopefully this will make it easier to keep on top of that
                              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• added another person to our group. Old school blacksmith that I work with; good survivor mentality.
                                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
                                X