Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar: Invest in a headlamp. You can get them a bunch of places in a wide range of prices. Usually take AAA batteries. Great for keeping hands free when you need a light. I had never heard of the flashlight in the mouth thing, but that is scary.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

• Usually I have high end headlamps. Essential for living in Canada bush in the winter, dog sledding, and farm chores on my last farm. I currently was thinking of shared light in the building, with my daughter, reading, playing Yahtzee, etc so got tunnel.vision on that. I should have added on to my order a headlamp. I will remedy that asap, thanks for the reminder.

Cedar

Comment

• Saturday - the trackhoe guy did not show up. Community building with neighbors.

Sunday - pulled various pieces of twin bunk beds out of the cargo container, that I got for free off CL last summer.... discovered there is two sets(?), So I am mingling the two, plus a twin captains bed with drawers with them. Took six bags if stuff to Goodwill to clean, make space. It is 288sf in here with the loft. Currently studying on the project, as there are at least three ways to probably deal with it.

Bought a retractable heavy duty extension cord, a corded drill, and an Allen wrenches set. Because you need Allen wrenches to put a bunk bed together. Also bought 1-1/2" clamps for the greenhouse/hoophouse.

Monday - after 17 days without running water because the trackhoe man didn't show, in the monsoon of a day we have been having, ran 400' of white vinyl hose to my water source and plunked f/f metal fittings in it with teflon tape (got it on the right way the first time woohoo!). We now have running water, although I will have to disconnect and drain the length of it nightly and during cold weather.

Bled the 25' of rubber hose of air to get propane to the travel trailer burners and hot water tank. I had my first shower at home in 28 months.

Cedar
        Last edited by Cedar; 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cedar View Post
          Omgosh... Thank you. That is good and scary to know. The solar lights are keeping me from doing that now.
          Hope the flashlight victim mended well.

Cedar

no - he lingered a few days in the hospital but died from his injuries - guess it was pretty bad damage ....

Comment

• Spent the days since Thanksgiving dealing with left over turkey. Sent breast and dark meat sliced off bone home with family for sandwiches. Left me with the skin, back, wing tips and the carcass. Removed all the skin and fed to pets over 3 days. It was a smoked turkey so if used for stock would be way smokey. Picked enough meat off the back to make 3 good sandwiches for me. put all remaining scraps and bones in a pot with a huge onion, couple of carrots and simmered all day long. Strained out bones with wire mesh strainer and then through my jelly bag to remove any smaller stuff. Fridge over night, skimmed off fat, reheated and canned 5 qts of turkey stock. jGlad I omitted the skin. Still had a definite smokey taste but good. To drink as is would need a bit of salt and pepper but didn't add because can adjust seasonings depending on what I use it for. Will be great to cook beans in.

Comment

• I bought two of these and received them yesterday or the day before.,
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              They are VERY bright, they recharge by solar, AC or DC. I am really liking them for every day use so far.

Cedar

Comment

• Those are really neat. I was given 2 last Christmas and I really like mine as well. Great when power goes out or need to work in gar ague after dark. You are right, they are bright!

Comment

• Those lights look good. Might look into it after Christmas. Canned 20 Qts. sweet potatoes. Getting house ready for Christmas and dealing with hubby's cold. Plus his feet and ankles are very swollen and not sure as to why yet. I keep him off of salt as much as possible and do not can with salt. So not sure if heart related yet. He has a pacemaker and a defib. Calling his heart doctor tomorrow if problem still there in morning. Fluid pills did not take swelling down. Might be his pot. is low again. To many problems and I am getting really tired from the worry, but I will get through it. Just hope this turns out to be a minor issue for him. He doesn't need anymore heath issues. He has been through to much already. My sun oven came the other day and can't wait till spring to try it out. Would do it sooner but just to much going on right now.

Comment

• Quinoa cost about $4 a lb here now. Found some boil in bag 3 color quinoa. 12 oz. pkg. for $2.17. Each pkg has 4 bags in it @ 2 servings each. Best by date says 7-14-2019, so good in cardboard box for 18 months or so. I was wondering how to store this. I hesitate to simply put the boil in bags in a mylar bag with oxy absorbent. Any suggestions as how to store this?? Such a good price (works out about $1 less per lb) and we really like it. I have one 1/2 gal fruit jar of the white stored with oxy absorber but it coming up on 5 years and I need to start replacing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZAGran View Post
                      Quinoa cost about $4 a lb here now. Found some boil in bag 3 color quinoa. 12 oz. pkg. for $2.17. Each pkg has 4 bags in it @ 2 servings each. Best by date says 7-14-2019, so good in cardboard box for 18 months or so. I was wondering how to store this. I hesitate to simply put the boil in bags in a mylar bag with oxy absorbent. Any suggestions as how to store this?? Such a good price (works out about $1 less per lb) and we really like it. I have one 1/2 gal fruit jar of the white stored with oxy absorber but it coming up on 5 years and I need to start replacing it.

just leave that instant as it is - just protect it against pests & rodents ...

for going long term you need the regular quinoa ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Illini Warrior View Post

just leave that instant as it is - just protect it against pests & rodents ...

for going long term you need the regular quinoa ...
                        No problem on that! love love quinoa. Will continue to search for quinoa for long term storage. Will not dip into store of regular until forced to to keep it from going over.

Comment

No problem on that! love love quinoa. Will continue to search for quinoa for long term storage. Will not dip into store of regular until forced to to keep it from going over.
                          My FAVORITE Quinoa recipe:

Dice:

Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, fresh parsley, garlic.

prepare quinoa, cooking it with chicken stock. Mix in the veggies.

Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and crumbled feta cheese.

EAT.

YUM..

-Buggy
                          I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buggyout View Post

My FAVORITE Quinoa recipe:

Dice:

Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, fresh parsley, garlic.

prepare quinoa, cooking it with chicken stock. Mix in the veggies.

Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and crumbled feta cheese.

EAT.

YUM..

-Buggy
                            Yum Yum Yum!

Comment

never seen a decent price for quinoa in bulk that makes it worth while putting away a long term quantity - maybe if I find a health food farm to deal with ....

Comment

• Quinoa is great. I need to get more for my preps. Am also looking for long term and best way to store it. Now that I have Christmas shopping done and only to get things wrapped I am also going through all my long term food supplies (the 25 year food) to see what all I need to add to that. One thing I did notice is I do not have any of the freeze dried cheddar cheese so got some on the sells that have been going on. Also making more jerky for freezer. Not long term but will last a lot longer that way. Also am taking advantage of turkey sells as well as ham sells. Working on canning everything I can from freezer as it is so full I can't get anything else into it. Have also been buying survival seed as I do have some but want more for bartering. Haven't seen any on sell as of yet though. I have my sun oven now and am looking at grain mills now. Just don't know which one I want yet. Buying up more lamp oil and other items for outdoor cooking as well. Neighbor's husband is going to get me a cord of firewood for free. Great score on that. Just trying now to organize batteries, flashlights, etc in boxes that I can get to easily when the time comes to be needing all these things. Bought more ammo and looking into buying another shotgun when hubby is feeling better. Really need to get the bigger ticket items that we might need in a SHTF situation. Working on water and need to figure out how to get the picture of my well pump on here. Thinking of have another well drilled as well since we only have the one that is only 35 feet deep. So I feel that another one would be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X