Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL -not going for the dual turbo diesel? Don't know if you ever check out Extreme4x4 on Spike TV but if you get a chance take a look thru the past shows. They've done various engine swaps into jeeps along with loads of suspension upgrades and changes to make them extremely off-road capable for varied terrains.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by CountryGuy View Post
      LOL -not going for the dual turbo diesel?

LOL I will check it out. This is my daily driver, so I can't go way too far.
      "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

• Understood, they do quite a few rigs that I'd describe as everyday drivers that can get off and hit some pretty hard trails and still get the grocies and kids to soccer. Kind of what I think a BOV should be in a way.

Hey you'd be surprised, some of those diesels get some great mileage and produce loads more torque. Just depends on how you set things up.

It is a sweet jeep. Is it new to you or did you have it and just put it into the shop for the upgrades?

Comment

• New to me. I sold an 84 Scrambler, a 2001 Chevy 1500, a 2002 Harley Sportster.......

Cleaned house. But now I have what I wanted, and it can do everything the three of them did for me.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

"The constitution does not guarantee our safety, only our liberty!" Robert Steed before congress 3/2013

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

• come come now... nothing on 4 wheels can do the same for you as something on 2... :D

Comment

• i have 2 fixed blade knifes.in which one is just under 3-1/2 inch bladei've already sharpened it,to the point.where i probally can skin a deer with it....and the other has a 5 inch blade.i had to make a handle for it.now im spending the next few days getting it sharpened up..
              be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6

Comment

• Put another 5 lbs of beef jerky in dehydrator. I'm finely getting ahead of the bottomless pits! Even Christmas with all won't get it all. Now mincemeat, well, I don't think it will make past the first of the year. But that happens every year, no matter how much I make.

Comment

• Bought another dozen pint jars. Never thought I'd run out but with all the canning I've been doing this fall I came up short.

Comment

• Leman's was having a sell so ordered 4 doz. tattler leds both wide and small mouth and extra rubber rings for the ones that are getting old now. Love those as they can be reused over and over again.

Comment

• Have been watching the Ready store and some of the other places that sell the dehydrated long term food. I wasn't going to buy anymore but I hit some deals that were really good and got celery, carrots and onions and then another place had pilot crackers on sell for half price and I bought 4 of those. I think it is about 50 crackers in each can if memory serves me right. They are pretty good.

Comment

• I got a "real" bug out bag for Christmas so I'm going through a list to make sure I can put as much as possible in there. It's a nice Camo scentlok Realtree backpack. What I love is that it has the hip belt. I can barely feel the bag on my back even with it almost totally loaded down. Will start taking hikes at our nearby state park to build stamina with it. Still need some items, but it's a start. Going through the items I've been slowly collecting and putting them in the bag. I still need 5 more bug out bags for the family but I'm slowly getting there!! I just need SHTF to wait until after the toddler is potty trained!!
                        "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing..." ~Thomas Jefferson

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." ~Benjamin Franklin

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." ~Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Some friends are planning a "Bugout Campout" in two weeks. I went through my bag today and tweaked it. They are planning to hike 10 miles and then camp over night. My bag weighs 25 lbs with food but not water. I think it will be about 35 lbs when loaded with water and finalized. With this I could take care of my family and myself for 3-5 days as long as we could replenish water along the way. Even longer if I could forage some grub.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

• How much gear are you talking. A bug out bag should last 72 hours and weight less then 25 pounds total. You need to review what you are putting in that bag for items that are duplicate or not really needed.

Find different items like a tarp (2 lbs) instead of a tent (4 lbs+) for shelter.
                            I want to do a new thread using you as an example of where you started and where you end up. Will you work with me? RICHFL

Comment

• Rich, I respect your thoughts and totally agree that most items in your pack should have multiple purposes and uses. I also think you should try to avoid the "kitchen sink" mentality and to try to keep weight within reason. However, I can't say I agree that your BOB is ONLY to last 72 hours and can only be 25lbs.

I think there are too many names and descriptions of these bags and I guess to each their own, so whether it's called a BOB, GHB, GOOD, car bag whatever, the ideas are basically the same. A home away from home on your back. Firstly, it's a personal thing and secondly, what happens if you say 72 hrs is the "limit" you'll be out of your home but it ends up being days more? I understand one should be able to stretch it a little but... Look at the Katrina mess, a lot of people had to bug out (whether they wanted to or not) and they were on their own for more than 3 days until even government help showed up. Some where solo for what, 7 to 10 days in some cases? To me if you can pack enough gear and supplies to last 2 weeks and still be within a reasonable weight that You can comfortably hump, then go for it. I see backpackers that go nuts spending crazy amounts of money all in the name of shaving off fractions of an ounce. I get that grams are ounces and ounces add up to pounds but I think there are many people that go "25lbs, well I can't exceed that golden number so I better leave this and that behind" when in actuality they'd be much better off adding a pound or 2 more and having items they will actually "need". I think many people don't truly understand what they need and what someone tells them they need. Again a great time to point out they need to work on knowledge to lessen their dependence on "stuff".

It's kind of like the 2 is 1 and 1 is none mentality. Murphy is always there to throw a curve ball. Who knows when that Bug Out turns into 7 days. Or maybe you find yourself unexpectedly responsible for more mouths to feed. Maybe your neighbors children or nieces or nephews are with you when things go haywire; I mean who would tell them "sorry kids but your on your own cause I didn't figure in any extra."

Comment

• Rich,

A bugout bag should be geared your expected use and to the person. I hate static numbers like 25lbs or 72hrs. If my safe house is 4 days away for example, then a 72 hour bag would fail me.
                                Likewise, consider I am a fit 210 lb athletic person carrying gear for 3 people (they both have smaller booster bags in case we separate.) So 35lbs is ok with me. My wife is 90lbs. 35lbs would kill her.

I might do a thread and let you guys critique i can always improve and learn, but I wont be worried about arbitrary goals like 25lbs or 72hrs.
                                Last edited by myakka; 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM.

Skills Beats Stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X