• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hudson69
    replied
    Originally posted by slowz1k View Post
    That is NOT what I wanted to hear!!!!! :eek:
    I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I hope I have better luck. I've always Loved the Rugers, A friend of mine has one that has a trigger job that sends rounds down range almost telepathically. By far the most accurate handgun that I have ever shot. Just couldn't budget in the cost for one right now.
    After about 200 rounds I have had no malfunctions and can put all ten round in the head (with either barrel) at 15 yards; haven't really tried anything further out though I have to admit. Still liking the HP22 but I am on a fairly tight budget as well so a Ruger is out (for right now anyway).

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    Originally posted by beebopcop View Post
    I purchased one and a lot of accuracy issues. I prefer the ruger 22/45 or the mark III. Been around for ever...proven.
    bbc

That is NOT what I wanted to hear!!!!! :eek:
    I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I hope I have better luck. I've always Loved the Rugers, A friend of mine has one that has a trigger job that sends rounds down range almost telepathically. By far the most accurate handgun that I have ever shot. Just couldn't budget in the cost for one right now.

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    I purchased one and a lot of accuracy issues. I prefer the ruger 22/45 or the mark III. Been around for ever...proven.
    bbc

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    hudson69 wrote "Personally I like the Phoenix Arms HP22 (with the 3" barrel) for in-town outdoor activities or when I am wearing shorts or light clothing due to heat or a special event, "

LOL.... I just picked one of those up off of Gunbroker! Got the 5" as well as the 3" with the extended mag. I read good reviews concerning accuracy and reliability, with the only detraction being the funky safeties. A little dremel work should cure that though. For $150.00 I thought it would be worth the risk.:D

Leave a comment:

• hudson69
    replied
    Best gun?

I will admit that caliber is an issue but it is not the only one or even the main one. As far as this post goes I am writing under the assumption that you are trying to cover daily carry since hauling a shotgun around will eventually get you arrested, especially if there barrel is under 18.5" and you dont have a tax stamp or CCW for it; the snub .357 in all steel is always a good choice because of its concealablity, lack of too many moving parts and ability to handle fairly powerful rounds easily but there are many compact guns out there (autos and wheel guns) but, and I say this as an NRA Instructor sometimes even a gun like that is too much gun for people even when you are shooting light loads; like 38 Specials out of a .357 magnum. You need to have a gun that you have trained with enough to be competent with and it needs to be in a caliber that you dont mind shooting.

There is a lady who carries a .22LR semi-auto as a personal defense weapon, it holds 10 +1 rounds of hollowpoint and will fit even in her small hands. I asked her to practice shooting within 15 yards at head and groin targets on man-shaped silhouettes. That was two years ago and she can now dump a mag of 11 shots into the head of a target in under 10 seconds and be reloaded in under 4 more.

What I am getting at and what I think the thread starter is trying to get across (my thoughts here) what gun do you constantly have with you and are you capable of using it effectively. Obviously he likes the snub .357 SP101. I think that is great piece of hardware but at the same time if you like .22LR because "big" guns scare you then that is fine, as long as you know its limitations and adjust accordingly.

Anyone can say; I will fall back to my M4 clone in .223 with 68 grain soft points because I have a tac vest loaded with three extra mags and is set up for assault/defense (Not that this is in my Den at home,....... just in case;) ) or I love my 870 Remington with its collapsible stock, side saddle and 1oz slug rounds but these are not weapon systems you carry with you unless you are in Afghanistan, a Police Officer or crazy enough to have on you(?) in town or when you are getting gas, buying groceries, renting a movie whatever.

Personally I like the Phoenix Arms HP22 (with the 3" barrel) for in-town outdoor activities or when I am wearing shorts or light clothing due to heat or a special event, I have a Taurus 606 .357 mag, snub nosed revolver for when I am doing anything outdoorsy like fishing, 4wheeling or something like that and want it on my person but concealed. When I can get away with a hoody or jacket I will carry my Smith TSW9. These are my choices but all are guns that will not show up and ruin my CCW permit.

Just my .02

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Originally posted by kenno View Post
    John Moses Browning designed the Ithica Model 37. JMB is my Personal Hero, he not only rose from obscurity, living in a small vilage on the edge of a great desert with little education, thereby embodied the American Dream but his designs helped win 2 World Wars and Korea. When his briliant designs were ignored and that 'Can Do' attitude abused; America started to decline.
    The m-37 like The BAR, The 1917, the 1919 30 cal, The Ma Duece (M-2), the M-92-98 Win, The Browning HiPower, 3 Winchester pump shotguns 1 lever shotgun, the Win Hiwall SS rifle and the Win Lowwall SS rifle. The first good semi-auto rifle and the first good semi-auto shotgun. The Superposed shotgun. The Win. pump 22LR the Colt 1903, 1908, 1911 (plus more). The High Standard and Woodsman 22lr pistol. The first 37mm auto cannon (and feed train) to fire through a drive shaft in a fighter plane. And a whole bunch more would never have graced my life, never have kept men free without this unassuming, yet gifted genius that rose like the sun from the Western Desert.
    Mauser, Vickers, Maxum, Walther between them all had maybe 12 good designs. Browning had scores; so many that most don't even recognise them. The 22 Ace conversion for the 1911? yep Browning, most sub caliber units use his patent.
    Sweet info grab, K......I knew Browning designed the 37, but never the rest....it's true, his designs are based on form OVER function, without losing a bit of elegance, nor adding any bullsh*t......

Leave a comment:

• kenno
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Saw View Post
    I think if I could have only one smoker, it'd be my Ithaca 37 12g......nothin' fancy...very few moving parts....badass loadout......good times :D
    John Moses Browning designed the Ithica Model 37. JMB is my Personal Hero, he not only rose from obscurity, living in a small vilage on the edge of a great desert with little education, thereby embodied the American Dream but his designs helped win 2 World Wars and Korea. When his briliant designs were ignored and that 'Can Do' attitude abused; America started to decline.
    The m-37 like The BAR, The 1917, the 1919 30 cal, The Ma Duece (M-2), the M-92-98 Win, The Browning HiPower, 3 Winchester pump shotguns 1 lever shotgun, the Win Hiwall SS rifle and the Win Lowwall SS rifle. The first good semi-auto rifle and the first good semi-auto shotgun. The Superposed shotgun. The Win. pump 22LR the Colt 1903, 1908, 1911 (plus more). The High Standard and Woodsman 22lr pistol. The first 37mm auto cannon (and feed train) to fire through a drive shaft in a fighter plane. And a whole bunch more would never have graced my life, never have kept men free without this unassuming, yet gifted genius that rose like the sun from the Western Desert.
    Mauser, Vickers, Maxum, Walther between them all had maybe 12 good designs. Browning had scores; so many that most don't even recognise them. The 22 Ace conversion for the 1911? yep Browning, most sub caliber units use his patent.
    Last edited by kenno; 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosa00
    replied
    Great thread... I have the SP101 as well, but found that it was indeed being left instead of carried due to the weight... its a great all around gun tho... I wanted a lighter carry, so I have the Kel-Tec PF9 now for my everyday carry.... gave it a fluff an buff took out the roughness from factory, and put several thousand rounds thru it now... this one I trust completely... and have it with me always.... I still have the SP101 too and enjoy the hell outta shooting it... the other comment about usin the pistol to get back to the rifle is true for my house too... my Mossberg 500 JIC with 00buck is my HD of choice...

Love everybodys perspectives on this subject...

Mosa00

Leave a comment:

• rsanders
    replied
    Ya gotta love those double barrel scatter guns, I have two, and a pump also.All 12ga. Considering adding an auto to the collection, but that will have to wait awhile ,I'm still negotiating on a Dan Wesson 1911 .45 Bobtail Classic.

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    Originally posted by slowz1k View Post
    I love my .45, but as Clint Smith has often said, " a pistol is for fighting your way back to the rifle that you never should have put down in the first place"... or something like that. If I could pick only one, it would be my Moss12ga. With Brenneke Black Magics, it can bring down a T-Rex, with a light load of bird shot it can put a dove on the dinner table with some meat still on it's bones, as well as handle any size game in between. The shotgun is a "do all tool" that is affordable, simple, reliable, and appropriate for anything but long range precision work.

Just my .02 worth...
    Couldn't agree more. I was thinking of just being caught off guard while away from home. I would certainly agree with your assessment of the shotgun and would have it if that was all I could have. I have pump, a side by side and a bolt action. I think I going to sell the bolt action though. All are 12 guage.
    bbc

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    I love my .45, but as Clint Smith has often said, " a pistol is for fighting your way back to the rifle that you never should have put down in the first place"... or something like that. If I could pick only one, it would be my Moss12ga. With Brenneke Black Magics, it can bring down a T-Rex, with a light load of bird shot it can put a dove on the dinner table with some meat still on it's bones, as well as handle any size game in between. The shotgun is a "do all tool" that is affordable, simple, reliable, and appropriate for anything but long range precision work.

Just my .02 worth...
    Last edited by slowz1k; 11-03-2009, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beebopcop
    replied
    Tough question, but of the guns I have now, I'd have to say my 1911 .45. The pros are; great stopping power, doesn't easily jam and when it does most are easy to clear, 9 rounds of firepower or 7 rnds, depending on which one I carry. Ammo is plentiful and not too expensive. The cons; both gun and ammo are heavy, they are semi-auto and I am not a gun smith.
    I have a Ruger single action that will shoot .45 ACP or .45 long colt. I have it as a back up in case the autos break down I can still shoot .45 ammo that I have on hand.
    bbc

Leave a comment:

• Ponce
    replied
    My Moss has a pistol grip at the front and back and it is my second weapon of choice.........

Leave a comment:

• Big_Saw
    replied
    Actually, I have never had a Mossberg, but I've shot 'em, and they're nice poles.....

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    mossberg 12 gauge strangely enuff 835 because it can shoot all 12 gauge round dont say it big saw i sure you got one but versatilty is key

Leave a comment:

Working...
X