Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbprice797
    replied
    I read too pricey and thought WTF??? THe read the just kidding. Was wondering what you wanted it for, free?? Then realized that you would say HELL YEA I want it for free hehe. Well the thing works cuz iI had a buddy that lived in the north carolina mountains in Transylvania County. He had this in his home and it kept it coay even in the dead of winter. Of course it was a three room single guys place but still was bigger than an average wilderness cabin prolly is.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    very good cb too priceyy hahah just kiddin good stove though

Leave a comment:

• cbprice797
    replied
    The Greatest Wood Stove Ever

This is a dupicate of a post i did in the shelter section since I did not realize at the time that there was a thread about stoves.

I think that building or having a local metal working company build a Franklin Stove for your permanent shelter would be great. If you are not familiar with how they work it goes like this.

THe interior of the stove is a bit bigger than normal. In side you put a baffle system the looks like this http://www.answers.com/topic/franklin-stove
    and this is built into the interior of the stvoe. Now the way it works is like this( if you dont follow the socky pic on the link).

You build a fire as normal. It heats up the baffles in the back of the stove. The air in the baffle rises pulling the colder air from floor level into the baffle through the lower pipe. THe heated air is released into the room 3 to 4 feet about floor level. Or you could connect a pipe that went close to the ceiling. That way the hot air would push the cooler air lower and creat a strong circulation effect. The smoke from the wood is sucked out through the back of the stove in the normal way.

You could even heat several room this way simply by connectingducts leading to the other rooms.

I realize the pic sucks but combined with my explanation I think its fine.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    cool keep checkin also check the thrify nickel

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    Originally posted by prkchp76 View Post
    did you check tractor supply ,northern and harbor freight
    Yes, Yes, and no... (I looked at HF website, didn't find anything). Northern has a Vogelzang "Lit'l Sweetie" which I wanted to check out, but they were back ordered. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4664_200394664

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    did you check tractor supply ,northern and harbor freight

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    Thanks all for your great ideas, got down off the mountain today and kicked the tires on a few new ones here and there. There are really only two options I could find 1) EPA high dollar catylitic converter stoves $400 and up, 2) Vogelzang traditional stoves that are sub $200... made in China, I have seen a few negative reviews on these, but it could be user error, too. Still hoping to pick up a used one...

Leave a comment:

• rsanders
    replied
    How about an old wood cook stove , or maybe an old two cap laundry stove ? Both are kinda small , and you could keep a pot of coffee on, or maybe cook ya up some lunch. Also you can keep a pan of water on top , it will act as a humidafier.

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    then yes i would go a lil bigger it will not hurt and the one time it is cold enough to pour the coals to it you will be glad trust me you can control a wood stove quite well and with you being in nc wood is quite abundant on craigslist you can probably get some free

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    yes i understand i was speakin of expanding your building out or up if it is insulated well you put the small stove on the first floor you might have to open a window to release some heat but,at least you will be some what efficent sorry bout the spelling another question is how long will you be in it will it be extended amounts of time or an hour or two also have you thought about a propane heater
    I will be in this building prob 8-10 hrs a day, 5 or so days/week. I work from home, and it is quickly becoming the man-cave... :cool: It WILL remain a TV free zone!

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    yes i understand i was speakin of expanding your building out or up if it is insulated well you put the small stove on the first floor you might have to open a window to release some heat but,at least you will be some what efficent sorry bout the spelling another question is how long will you be in it will it be extended amounts of time or an hour or two also have you thought about a propane heater

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    i would rather go bigger than try to find smaller for the simple reason you may want to expand your house
    This is for a small outbuilding, house will be a separate project...

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    i would rather go bigger than try to find smaller for the simple reason you may want to expand your house

Leave a comment:

• hubste5
    replied
    One of the issues with a wood stove is that I have a relativly small space, and the small stoves I have seen out there are rated for 600sqft, I have only 165 or so. And the foot print, with proper clearances is pretty big. I need a small (yet safe) wood burning solution.

Leave a comment:

• avking
    replied
    Avoide the pellet stove. It uses a LOT of pellets and requires electricity. I tried to talk a neighbor out of it and now he wishes he listened.

Craiglist an old wood stove and get something that will last forever for $50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X