Bugging out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugging out

Other than a very few has anyone ever bugged out and actually lived on their preps?
    Eric Rudolph , the Olympic Park bomber did and he was arrested while rummaging through a trash bin behind a rural grocery store. In a WROL situation, there won't be any dumpsters to dive or police to arrest you if there was.
    From Wikipedia:
    According to own writings, he survived during his years as a fugitive by camping in the Nantahala National Forest near Cherokee and Graham Counties, in North Carolina, by gathering acorns and salamanders, pilfering vegetables from gardens, stealing grain from a grain silo, and raiding dumpsters in Murphy, North Carolina.

A lot of people believe Rudolph had help.
    One who pilfers gardens might end up with a case of lead poisoning. Hygiene is quite another subject.

Another was Christopher Knight who survived alone for 27 years in Maine! He also had help as he raided vacation cabins and a camp store. There's a book "The Stranger in the Woods" that tells his story. He was a former alarm technician who stealthy broke into cabins to steal for food, books and supplies. He developed ways to store provisions and avoid frostbite.

Assess the contents of your BOB and decide how long they'd last in real world conditions. We did and same as others here, we decided to stay right where we are at. As we have more preps here than a PU could carry.

I believe most will have a place in mind to bugout to. Thus having a place and or group / help waiting for them. at least this is how we plan to get through the worst of things.

Comment

Originally posted by kentuckyshiner85 View Post
      I believe most will have a place in mind to bugout to. Thus having a place and or group / help waiting for them. at least this is how we plan to get through the worst of things.
      Sooo wherever you are planning to bug'out to, are you expecting a warm welcome from those who you are encroaching on.....or do you figure you will have to endure them doing what they need to do to protect their loved ones.....???

Asking for a friend......???
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

Sooo wherever you are planning to bug'out to, are you expecting a warm welcome from those who you are encroaching on.....or do you figure you will have to endure them doing what they need to do to protect their loved ones.....???

Asking for a friend......???
        Well said. Those that live there will not only protect their loved ones, but their very survival.

I was considering hiring a band and having a BBQ to welcome them... However, I don't think so..

There comes a time when people carrying everything they need to survive on their back need to accept those who already live there won't want them as neighbors. The reasons are simple and obvious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	K&D place.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	221660
        This is a neighbor's BOL place. Hard cell foam insulation, mini split HVAC with a tiled spring for water. Completely powered by solar when the lightning doesn't take it out. LOL
        Kenny and Debbie, Duane and Shelly, George and Trish, and others are welcome here because they live here.

That is the reality of a WROL, SHTF or whatever.

Comment

Another reality of bugging out.
          I lurk a lot of survival sites. One thing they all have in common is a lot of people plan to bug out. The roads will be packed and once they realize everyone is heading to the same place and competing for the same limited resources; the firefights will begin. It won't be pretty, but it will be.

Comment

I've bugged out. Several times. LOL!

Mostly because of personal SHTF events. Sourdough is right..... There are few places you can go that are safe from the "zombies" that are eventually going to loosen!

I am in the Pacific Northwest.

Go ahead....

Tell me what a terrible place it is. Guess what?

You are right!

The truth of the matter is that EVERYWHERE is a terrible place. The last time I full timed in an RV, I hit nearly every state. Red - Blue, North, South, every state!

What I determined is that the sickness that has typically been centralized on the coasts, in the big cities, has seeped into EVERY town and city, even bastioned of freedom (*clear throat* Texas!) have been eroded and continue to be eroded.

I live hours away from Seattle! Even farther from Portland! I live in a place that is strategically away from the caldrons over-flowing urban centers. We have crack heads, of course.... but I know EXACTLY where they are.

My advice is to lay low under the radar, wherever you are and get ready!

And for God's sake.....

Enjoy yourselves why you have time on this earth!

-Buggy
            I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Bugging out will be different in a WROL.

We are in the mountains of NE Georgia. I clocked it at 21 miles to city limits to the nearest town of less than 8,000. It's about 40 plus to the nearest interstate.
              As a mod, you can see my IP; however, as the IP will lead to Utah because it is their downlink.

Any SHTF or civil war won't be pretty; then again, what war is? After seeing war, it is the last thing I want to see one here.

Everywhere has crack and meth heads even here. Most can't do much more than run a string trimmer.

Good advice about laying low and be prepared. We don't do this for any reason except we love this place where we live. We enjoy growing our own food and harvesting fish.

My wife prefers canning tomatoes as the spices will blend in to the sauce.

We stay well beneath the radar, are ready, and hope for better. I was Infantry in Vietnam when we could sense movement; we'd say Charley is hungry tonight.

Comment

Working...
              X