12v fridge freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v fridge freezer

I bit the bullet and purchased a portable fridge freezer. I got the idea form the overland crowd ( which is something i do, great bugout practice!). Any-who I can store my perishables in it as long as i need to . i simply have it hooked to my truck with the intent of using at our B.O.L. for food there. it can keep frozen food down to -5 F . There are many brands and can be found on amazon among other sites . Mine come from South Africa but through its distributor is in Texas. I will try and post some pics soon. Also I can run it off of regular 120V. always worth look into . If anyone has any questions please drop me a line and ill do my best to answer them.

Looking forward to more info along with the photos you mentioned. Seller, model, price, etc.

Also, what is the overland crowd?
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post

Also, what is the overland crowd?
      What our moderator "BUGGYOUT" is currently doing. More or less living-in a travel trailer or motorhome, and overland traveling all over north America.
      One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourdough View Post

What our moderator "BUGGYOUT" is currently doing. More or less living-in a travel trailer or motorhome, and overland traveling all over north America.
        Yup. That's what I do. Google the "Nomadic Lifestyle" or Full Time RVing. A lot of people, myself included, are equipped for short/medium SHTF. there is no way a person can be prepared for long term survival in a vehicle. I can only store around 3 or 4 months of food. The good news is that I can get anywhere as long as the roads are clear.

I have a full size residential fridge/freezer in my RV. I have to be honest though, If I could go back to a electric/propane fridge I would. If my power inverter is on the fritz, like it is now, I can only keep the thing running with the generator as I cruise down the road. With the old style RV fridge, it ran on a trickle of propane. I never had a problem with mine in my last RV.

Not sure about a 12v fridge....

-Buggy
        I'm not a fatalist. I'm a realist.

Comment

Buggy, it would be beyond awesome if you put up a sticky thread about your nomadic pursuits and give us a glimpse of what works, what does NOT work, and general observations and musings... RV living is a huge thing these days and many are considering this option.

Once upon a time, long ago, I did the same as you, but only in a truck with a camper top. It was absolutely glorious, but I could never do that today. These days, the criminal climate is too dark for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
            Buggy, it would be beyond awesome if you put up a sticky thread about your nomadic pursuits and give us a glimpse of what works, what does NOT work, and general observations and musings... RV living is a huge thing these days and many are considering this option.

Once upon a time, long ago, I did the same as you, but only in a truck with a camper top. It was absolutely glorious, but I could never do that today. These days, the criminal climate is too dark for my liking.
            Yeah, the lifestyle is the "in" thing nowadays. I live the dream apparently. The reality of it is......

It's a pain the ass.

Hahaha! Here are a few fantasy breakers.....

There has never been a time when I haven't been dealing with a handful of problems with my rig! Both my old rig AND my new rig. Something is always broken.

It's as expensive, even more expensive than living in a sticks and bricks. I OWN my RV also. I had 5K in cash five months ago, for "Emergencies". I now have less than $20 of that. (Repairs mostly)

Taking a shower with a squirt gun? If you like it....great! This lifestyle is for you.

Finding a place to sleep can sometimes take a lot of energy and most of the day.

One word. No TWO: Black Tank.

Gas gas gas.

Other people. Especially in this lifestyle. You have two main groups - Retired snowbirds and dirtbags. They both offer their own pain in the ass things. They are easy to spot. The Snowbirds will generally have decent rigs and of course be older. Dirtbags will live in pieces of junk and come in all ages. If you want a look at these groups of people google/youtube "Slab City" for the dirtbag class and "Quartsite" for the Snowbirds.

Loneliness. If you are a hermit, you will do well living like this alone. IF you have a partner, you are living together in a few feet of space. There is no privacy, no place to go. I've never had anyone with me, I assume you have to really love each other. Haha

No good internet. (This is actually more of a blessing for me.)

The hustle. This entire movement is a hustle. From repairs to RV supplies to parks. It's all about someone hustling you out of your money. The MOST hustle comes from the whole Youtube videos trying to sell you on this lifestyle! lol

LAUNDRY! You'll have to use a public place. I've been to nice ones and bad, mostly bad.

I've been stinking really really really cold and I've been sloppy sweaty stinking hot. That's with my rigs basic cooling and heating AND the other two systems I bought to add to it.

If you are not independently wealthy of have monies coming in every month, don't do this. There is a lot of BS videos (Of people TRYING to hustle you! See above) on Youtube saying how easy it is to "Work on the road". It's not. There are so many people doing this now workcamping is hard to get.

The grass is always greener on the other side. This is all I can think of off the top of my head. There are many more. Haha

-Buggy

Comment

Thank you for telling it like it is! RVs are MONEY PITS.

Ha, yes! Back in the day, I saw how much of an expensive deal RV living can be. Especially if I tried to maintain "normal" comfort levels: heating, air conditioning, plumbing, lights, etc.

Instead, I kept it simple and opted for a small tent. The camper top on my truck was the fall-back option in case of relentless rain. Sometimes I just slept in the cab of the truck. Gasoline was a non-issue with the Nissan.

Some years later, I made many road trips in a van, which was a lot more comfortable than my itty-bitty truck!

Living without expensive modern conveniences and amenities of an RV was absolutely worth the freedom.

Comment

They rent nice new RV's in Alaska for roughly $200.00 a day, which is summer hotel room rate. It would be giggles to rent an RV for a week, maybe have $2,200.00 total cost for everything.
                One day you eat the chicken.....next day the left-over chicken.....next five days you eat chicken feathers, head and feet.

Comment

I'm not sure I'll sell my rig or not. I'm leaning towards selling it once again. Short term RVing is where I probably will be heading if I do decide to keep it.

My advice is to do try it. Rent one like Sourdough mentioned.

-Buggy

Comment

Thanks for your candor, Buggy. Those are all the things you never hear about. When you spend more time fixing than you do traveling it pretty much takes all of the fun out of it, not to mention the expense.

Guess I can scratch that one off of my bucket list.
                    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

I run the Snowmaster 56 liter dual zone. The price point is what hurts. it was just over 1600.00 delivered. I wish i had went with a bigger size though. I have used it now on a couple camping trips and on the 4th of July to carry drinks in for my entire family. (There are 8 in my house alone). i must say it has been absolutely been awesome . and to answer the overland crowd are those that wish to travel around , mostly offroad and essentially live out of their vehicle .
                      The best part is I am able to just plug it in to my factory cig lighter and it runs. If i am somewhere that i can run it on 120v I carry the plugs for both hooked up and it will automatically switch to the 120v until it is disconnected . So power outage is no longer an issue for a bol. there are several makers for them but i went with Snowmaster because of the compressor they use and the watt draw is so low. honestly from the year of research i did they are the best. oh and it comes with a solar powered remote and cover. some of the other companies i looked at are the ARB, Engel, National Luna( Snowmaster uses their compressors) and truck fridge. I do advise that you change the cig lighter plug to an anderson style plug. No more wet , soggy cheese for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4227.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	218926

Comment

Ill try and get some better pics and post them asap.

Comment

Working...
                          X