DHS Releases new EMP Report OCT 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS Releases new EMP Report OCT 2018

Found this DHS Report a couple weeks ago and was debating if I should post it or not. Was thinking maybe folks have heard enough about EMP to keep them satisfied for a while. Upon further consideration, I decided that a bit of EMP flooding might emphasize the importance of paying attention to this stuff and having an adequate Faraday cage. And when I say "adequate", I mean you're Faraday cage should be a minimum of two layers of protection to achieve 90db of attenuation or greater. Mine is three layers.

The DHS is now saying EVERYONE should prepare for 6 months of the grid being down. (Translation: S is going to HTF and it will be at least a year before you get clean underwear again)
    Here's the Report:
    https://www.dhs.gov/publication/prot...nd-geomagnetic

Was thinking maybe folks have heard enough about EMP to keep them satisfied for a while.
    First instincts are typically correct.

EMP prep is mostly PAW fiction material.

The majority will never do it nor need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper708 View Post
      First instincts are typically correct.

EMP prep is mostly PAW fiction material.

The majority will never do it nor need it.
      Why do you say that EMP prep is mostly PAW fiction material?

I agree that the majority will never do it (prep for EMP/GMD), but because mankind has woven our entire way of life in sensitive electronics, that kind of bump in the beltway has the potential for bringing a kind of incalculable disaster that this world has never seen before...

All it would take is another Carrington event similar to what earth experienced in 1859 to bring most of the nay-sayers to their knees...

Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Why do you say that EMP prep is mostly PAW fiction material?
        It's usually put forth in the context of a Nuke attack.
        The most common place to hear it discussed is in PAW fiction stories.

A "Carrington Event" is always possible, but unless everyone prepares for it, there's not much point in anyone preparing.

It's still mostly speculation as to what the effects will be. It might make some feel better to stash a bunch of stuff in some "cage", but realistically it's not going to make much difference.

I think it's pretty much a waste of effort and resources, and even if such an event happens, there won't be as much damage as many want you to think will occur.

All it would take is another Carrington event similar to what earth experienced in 1859 to bring most of the nay-sayers to their knees...
        Along with all those who thought they could "prepare".
        If it makes you feel better, do it.

I just think it makes more sense to be prepared to exist without electricity, just like many did less than 100 years ago.

I've not seen anyone I thought was really credible say otherwise.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. I have prepared for a Carrington-type event and can carry on comfortably without electricity (my home can function like it is 1803), and for the fact that the majority of people WON'T be prepared (which is worse than the event itself).
          Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM.
          Genius is making a way out of no way.

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
            I agree wholeheartedly. I have prepared for a Carrington-type event and can carry on comfortably without electricity (my home can function like it is 1803), and for the fact that the majority of people WON'T be prepared (which is worse than the event itself).
            I'm no longer convinced a Carrington event would be so catastrophic to us. We watch the sun with special satellites 24/7 now and would know well in advance if a CME was headed our way. We also know what needs to be done.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't prep, I just think its effects would be far less harmful due to the fact that we would have a warning and could take emergency actions to limit the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post

I'm no longer convinced a Carrington event would be so catastrophic to us. We watch the sun with special satellites 24/7 now and would know well in advance if a CME was headed our way. We also know what needs to be done.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't prep, I just think its effects would be far less harmful due to the fact that we would have a warning and could take emergency actions to limit the damage.
              What emergency procedures could the government take?
              It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

Originally posted by tmttactical View Post

What emergency procedures could the government take?
                When the sun blows, we have about 24 hours (give or take) before we get hit. You'd probably hear about it on every news channel, every talk show, and on the front page of every website. It would be like aliens landing on the White House lawn.

Even while the CME is hitting us, broadcast stations would probably be covering the event on live television while running on generators. They wouldn't be able to bounce signals off satellites because those would be in safe modes, but local cable and local air broadcast could still run on emergency power. The EMP caused by a CME is not the same animal as that which is caused by a nuclear detonation. They are as different as a shark and a swarm of bees and have almost nothing in common.

They would (probably) initiate an emergency message across all television and cable and probably cell phones, they would shut down power and disconnect (isolate) the main transformers. This CME would still probably blow out some (most?) of the smaller units they didn't have time to disconnect at sub stations, but those are relatively easy to fix and repair.

Don't get me wrong, we'd still suffer wide spread damage, and we'd probably have to implement nationwide rolling blackouts on some kind of agreed upon schedule as things got slowly repaired, but the nuclear power plants wouldn't melt down and full uninterrupted power would likely be restored within a year or so.

It would still be bad, but it wouldn't be catastrophic or result in the total breakdown of society. At least not our society.

The difference is that we would know its coming, we know what needs to be done for a small CME (turn everything on), and we know what needs to be done for a big CME (isolate everything).

It would be very much in line with what happens when a major hurricane heads our way. It still causes a lot of damage, but people know what to do.

Comment

Thank you Murphy, I appreciated the reply. That was pretty much what I figured but I always want a second opinion. I am sure the cities will get first priority and the rural people will be left behind sucking mammary glands. The ciaos in the cities and industry will be massive. Snowflakes will not know how to deal with long term rolling blackouts. But you can bet the thugs will know what to do. After we get the emergency notice, fill the bathtubBob and every other container with water. It the city water pumping station could have their small portion of the grid go down. Second lock and load. Bad days ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by tmttactical View Post
                    Thank you Murphy, I appreciated the reply. That was pretty much what I figured but I always want a second opinion. I am sure the cities will get first priority and the rural people will be left behind sucking mammary glands. The ciaos in the cities and industry will be massive. Snowflakes will not know how to deal with long term rolling blackouts. But you can bet the thugs will know what to do. After we get the emergency notice, fill the bathtubBob and every other container with water. It the city water pumping station could have their small portion of the grid go down. Second lock and load. Bad days ahead.
                    I think the first to be fixed would be any power feeds to fuel processing plants or nuclear power plants. I think 2nd would be any important military bases, then crude oil processors and natural gas pumping stations. After that, I agree with you, major cities.. and us country folks would be left picking our noses and watching the grass grow. I'm fine with watching grass grow so long as no one is shooting at me and I have food to eat..

I don't think the thugs will have much fun at all. Emergency services would still have communications and be generally intact, and I'm willing to bet the cops would have a lot less oversight when it came to dealing with them and their "civil rights". The government would probably declare a watered down quasi-version of martial law and and update to castle doctrine that average people like you and I would accept. Basically saying something like "Protection of property with lethal force is now authorized". And probably also allowing ubiquitous "Stop and ID" procedures for the cops.

As with most things, I don't think the government will be able to do as much as people hope, nor do I think it will be as bad as a lot of preppers think it would be. Reality never seems to agree with anyone when these things happen.

Of course, this is all just speculation. Things could turn into Mad Max.

Comment

Murphy, I agree 100 percent with your analogy. I don't think it will go all Mad Max but I do see a jump in crime every time the power goes out. I see cities like Chicago where so many are disarmed being a prime location for home invasions. As far as the cities in Arizona, I don't see to big a jump in crime but a few more "Castle defense" responses.

Comment

We had such an event back in 1993 in Canada. With out the work on one individual the entire grid would have gone down. That is both Canada and the US.

Comment

Originally posted by RICHFL View Post
                          We had such an event back in 1993 in Canada. With out the work on one individual the entire grid would have gone down. That is both Canada and the US.
                          RICH, do you have a link for this? I studied the 1989 geostorm event but wasn't aware of anything in 1993. Are you referring to a power grid event or did I misinterpret your post?

Comment

It sounds like a Jerry D Young story to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X