Buy Sandbags folks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Sandbags folks!

After much research and thought, I decided to purchase some sandbags. I just bought 6000 of them (18x30 with drawstring) for $0.19 cents each w/free shipping.

I got to thinking, "What areas on the outside of my house would make for a good strategic position in a defensive situation"?? And then I realized that hiding behind an engine block is just not going to cut it. Sure, I have a few large trees that would stop a bullet, but a 24 inch tree isn't really much cover and its only cover from a narrow angle.

I could dig a fox hole ditch thing, but then it would fill with water when it rained.

My home is more or less bullet proof against anything 5.56 or 308, but I think a 338 or a 50 would probably make it through the brick.. that, and the brick will only stop a single impact at the same point as the next round would go through. I even bought hydraulic cement to patch holes if this ever happens.

So I decided to purchase a bunch of sandbags and to build a device for the front of my tractor's loader to make filling them easier. After watching a bunch of ballistic penetration videos on youtube, and of course knowing that sandbags are widely used by all military's, I decided it would be a good investment.

The device I'm building for the tractor's bucket loader should allow us to fill 8 to 10 bags simultaneously and repeat the process every 3 to 5 minutes with just two people. Another benefit is that the bags would be filled very close to the point where they'd be stacked, further reducing the labor and time needed.

Should my area ever encounter torrential rain, we'd also be set up for flood control as well. This is sort of a secondary consideration as I live on a hill so its not likely I'd ever be flooded.

I think the sandbags are an over looked aspect when it comes to SHTF Prepping.

Here is a video on penetration testing on various walls, using assorted caliber ammo. Nothing earth shattering but a few interesting results. I found it worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VeqqNuQU_4

Now the sand bag is a decent bullet barrier, if stacked and packed properly. They have to be stacked like building a block wall, over lapping joints and double layered with off setting joints.

The next question, do you plan to fight or retreat if possible? Fire fights have casualties on BOTH sides. If possible, I plan to retreat and leave behind a few measures that will allow me to retake my home. Fire fights are last on my list.
    It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war!

Comment

Originally posted by tmttactical View Post
      Here is a video on penetration testing on various walls, using assorted caliber ammo. Nothing earth shattering but a few interesting results. I found it worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VeqqNuQU_4

Now the sand bag is a decent bullet barrier, if stacked and packed properly. They have to be stacked like building a block wall, over lapping joints and double layered with off setting joints.

The next question, do you plan to fight or retreat if possible? Fire fights have casualties on BOTH sides. If possible, I plan to retreat and leave behind a few measures that will allow me to retake my home. Fire fights are last on my list.
      I don't really have any particular plan. As they say "No plan survives first contact". So with that in mind, I try to keep things open. My entire philosophy is centered around having options and being able to make choices.

When you have no options and you have no choices, you lose. This is true in everything from conversation, finance and employment, a game of Chess, and even in war.

I may never need to use the wood gasifier to generate power.. maybe my solar will do it all. But I have the option of using it.

I may never need to set up sandbag emplacements, but if things degrade to that point, I have the option.

I may never need to pump water out of my basement, but I have four ways of doing it that are totally independent of each other.

All things being equal, the winner is usually the side that has the most options. If I found 5 thugs trying to take my home, I'd probably defend it.. unless they're carrying mini-guns of course. 10 thugs? Depends.. 100 thugs? I think I'm going to run.

I think preparing a single reaction to some scenario is a mistake because its usually something you didn't prepare for that happens.

Comment

@Murphy.

Sound like you have got your head screwed on right. The more options the better. My concern is always with the Rambo types that just hope for a fire fight. I have encountered too many of those types on prepper forums. I plan to sniper those headed my way, long before they get close to the homestead but once they get close to my front door, I plan to head out the rabbit holes. I do not want a fire fight but the compound is designed just for that situation. The sides and back walls are buried (dirt banked) and the front wall is poured concrete. Will stop even 50 cal, if the shots are not in the same spot. I hope to never have to test them. I am a great believer in booby traps and psychology of human nature. As you pointed, not all plans go according to plan, so I do have ballistic wall designs incorporated into the buildings.

Comment

When you are cornered and there is no way out What do you do?

I placed in one room 1/4 steel plates I got from of all places a junk yard. Just moving them cost me my truck engine. (Too much weight) but we got them in place using a bobcat and my nephew weld it together. We then put dry wall and studs over them so we now have a honey comb of brick, drywall, 1/4" steel plate, studs, and drywall again. It is 42 inches high so I should be good. It's like having a safe room. Makes me feel safe.

Comment

Glad you have the brick fascia, that will help deform the rounds before they hit the steel plate. A 556 will pass through a bare 1/4" steel plate. I think you would be good up to 308. I am not sure about a magnum loads. I watched where a 556 was shot into a brick wall and it did penetrate the brick but did not penetrate the the backing wall. They did not test magnums. I was surprised that the brick stopped a 12 ga. slug. I would have bet on the slug.

Comment

Wrote out a whole post about the steel plate being ineffective but then noticed you have brick on the house.

Purchase a couple cans of the roll/brush on truck bed liner.. if SHTF happens, paint the outside of your home with it. That will keep the brick together and stop the rounds.

A 5.56 round will NOT penetrate a brick house unless multiple rounds impact the same exact spot.

Comment

Typo in my post. Missed the "NOT" penetrate a brick wall. Good catch Murphy.

Comment

Originally posted by tmttactical View Post
                  Typo in my post. Missed the "NOT" penetrate a brick wall. Good catch Murphy.
                  LOL.. so you think.

I didn't catch anything, read right past it and I think my brain filled in the blanks all on its own. I'm betting I watched the same video as you.. almost sure of it since I've watched pretty much every gun related video on youtube by now.

Oh crap.. I finally reached the end of the internet!

Comment

I love the gun videos on Youtube too. It can be a bit confusing when one recommends a product and the next shoots it down.

Comment

Working...
                    X