Fire!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire!!!

This week, a family died in East Point, MI..
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ical-condition

You can have all the food, weapons, and medical supplies you need to survive a decade, but if you don't cover some basic fundamentals, you're preps could crumble..

Make sure your family is protected with WORKING smoke detectors!

I have two working smoke detectors in my home as well as 9 fire extinguishers. I have 6 of the 20 pound industrial ABC rated, and 3 of the large stainless steel kitchen types. During the winter when the windows are closed, we also plug in the Carbon Monoxide alarms.

Guns, ammo and food don't help much with one of the most common disasters that can happen in a home.

You are right about the smoke detectors. We have 3 of them.. All with Carbon Monoxide alarms. Even a fireplace can put off some Carbon monoxide. But what happened with Buggy, there is no alarm that can prevent that. In cases like that it is good to have a medal roof. Keep bushes and trees away from house. Hubby even said if we lived near where forest fires are a problem, he would install some kind of sprinker system on the roof. Those measures may or may not work but always worth that extra effort to try to save your home.

Comment

I actually have 4 smoke detectors myself but two of them are being used for a different purpose and don't really count... I'm sure they probably still work as smoke detectors, but I turned them into water (flood) alarms.

I have one above my sump pump in the basement.. if the pump ever failed and the water level rises past the inlet pipe, the hacked smoke detector will go off and sound the alarm. The other one is next to the washing machine.

To turn a smoke detector into a water alarm, you simply soldier a couple of wires to the test button contacts and run the other ends of those wires to the area you want to detect the water at. Strip a 1/2 inch of insulation off, and position the bare wire ends about 1cm apart. The conductivity of the water will trigger the alarm.
      Buy the cheapest smoke detector you can find for this purpose.. If it doesn't come with the 120 volt hard wire option, you can grab any 9volt wall transformer (like to an old network switch or something), and soldier it to the battery terminals.. Don't install a battery if you do this.

I keep meaning to make one for the kitchen area too (dishwasher), but never got around to doing it.

All of my smoke alarms are hardwired with battery backups.. and while I use normal alkaline batteries, I also have a few rechargeable lithium ion 9v batteries as well.

Smoke detectors also make decent non-lethal perimeter alarms.. but they're not waterproof so application is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
        You are right about the smoke detectors. We have 3 of them.. All with Carbon Monoxide alarms. Even a fireplace can put off some Carbon monoxide. But what happened with Buggy, there is no alarm that can prevent that. In cases like that it is good to have a medal roof. Keep bushes and trees away from house. Hubby even said if we lived near where forest fires are a problem, he would install some kind of sprinker system on the roof. Those measures may or may not work but always worth that extra effort to try to save your home.
        If I lived in an area where forest fires were possible, there wouldn't be anything combustible on the exterior of my home.. and nothing combustible (except for grass) within 200 feet or more.

Since I live in a masonry home, the only thing that is combustible is my roof.. been thinking I might purchase a hundred or so of the steel roofing panels and just put them in storage...

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
          been thinking I might purchase a hundred or so of the steel roofing panels and just put them in storage...
          If you have a shingle roof currently wouldn't it be easier to just get the metal roof put on now than store all that steel? A metal roof will likely last the life of your kids and maybe your grandkids.
          I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you!

Comment

If you have wild fires coming towards you home. Smoke and burning pine needles will drop down on you roof, trees, shrubs, and ground. What can you do besides flee?

Here is what you do when you first start seeing burning needles.

1. Soak the ground around your house about 25-30 foot away establishing a soak zone,

2. Place a 50-100 FT soaker hose at the top of your roof line. Attach it to a garden hose and start it up. It will continue soaking the roof and the run off will keep the ground wet near the house.

This worked for me in 1997 when wild fires came within 1/4 mile burning up about 10 neighbors homes. NOT MINE!

Comment

Rich I think that covers it. I can't think of anything else other than to keep bushes and trees away from house as much as you can.

Comment

I wonder what one of those space blankets would cost if it was big enough to cover your home?

Comment

Working...
                X