Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lighter? BIC vs Jetflame?

Dear Survivalforum,

I read a lot on the forum about making fire and the handy tools to create this. I'm a newby when it comes to survival outdoor by night. I'm looking for a good lighter to start with as a backup if I can't make fire the first time i'm outdoor. Now my question is, what type of lighter will suit the best?

- A jetflame lighter (see link)
    + Good against rain
    + Will burn when it is windy

- Or is it better to have just a couple of Big BIC lighters?
    + Cheap
    + Float
    + Last long

* URL examples for the Netherlands where I can buy them *

Thank you all for the help and information!

John.

considering size and cost, carry some of both. I always have some cheap bics in all my vehicles and bags. I also made up some small units combining waterproof matches, tinder and candles which are sealed in vacuum bags and carried in my backpacks.

The main issue with the jetflame and the bics, is how close you have to be to the tinder; working when your hands are cold and stiff just makes this situation worse. I looked at the extended bics but they seemed too tempermental. Then I found this. It's bigger than what i really want, but at the same time it does the job very well and makes it easier to get the flame where it needs to be.
    Turbo Flame Stick Pocket BBQ BlowTorch/Lighter 20cm In Length This upgraded TurboFlame Stick has all the great features of the original but a new, futuristic look! Still burns like a jet engine on reheat!!!Like the previous model Turboflame Original, is essential for any outdoor enthusiast’s survival kit has a jet-like precision flame reaches temperatures up to 1300c and has a Saftey lock on the flame stops it setting your pants on fire.Turboflame ‘clean burn’ technology means it can also melt synthetic materials without depositing black carbon, so outdoor equipment can be quick fixed without discolouration. Outdoor enthusiasts include Turbo flame in their emergency kits to melt p-tex, seal micro – cracks in boards and canoes, cut and seal nylon rope in addition to lighting fires in less than ideal conditions. They have been tested to work up to 3000 metres and don’t ‘self-combust’ at high altitudes.All in all,Turbo flame is the perfect accompaniment to the pocket-knife and flashlight – a must for any survival expert1300°C jet-turbo flame Cuts through nylon rope and line faster than a knifeEssential tool for BBQs, Fireworks, boating, canoeists, skiers, cyclists, anglers, gardeners, owners if wood burners, and hobby-craft enthusiastsRefillable with standard Butane lighter gasCan be used continuously for 10-15 mins per refillPiezo-electric ignition, no flints to change Note: Colour may vary
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

John, Something to remember is that a good tinder source can be just as important as your flame source. To be truly prepared you need to have multiple sources of each. Just a thought.

Dale

Comment

I have never used a Jetflame, so not speaking from experience. I have used other butane lighters with mixed results. The two things I have found that will go wrong with a butane lighter are the input valve where you load the fuel; and the activation switch you press to ignite the lighter.We have a saying here called " Murphy's Law". Basically it means what can go wrong will go wrong at the worst time. When you need it most, that will be the time it doesn't work. That said, they do burn hot, and will start quickly. You will need a fuel source to reload.

I have found Bic lighters to be more reliable. They last a long time. They are very inexpensive. Some people trick them up, but I don't. Go to You Tube and enter Bic Lighter and you will find dozens of videos. With a Bic lighter even if it runs out of fuel you still have a way to make sparks if you have good tinder.

Dalewick offers very sound advice in that a good tinder source is just as important as your flame source. IMHO one of the favorites around here is cotton balls coated with Vaseline Petroleum jelly. Another good source is the lint that comes out of your clothes dryer. Put some Vaseline on that as well. You probably want to put your tinder in a waterproof container; maybe a zip lock plastic bag to assure it stays dry. Vaseline can also be very messy. You don't want that to get all over your stuff.

Have at least three ways to make fire at all times. Water-proof matches are good. Strike anywhere matches are good.

Good luck. Let us know how you come out.
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

Thank you all so much, the tips and ideas goes much further then I was thinking of. Thats why I registered myself on this forum!

I wrote down all the tips and will look for more information about: "balls coated with Vaseline Petroleum jelly".

Matches that are waterproof! I never heard about that. 5.50 euros for 10 pieces, I'm going to buy them to test it in my gardens to see how good the work and how good the flame will burn after beeing wet.

Maybe an idea to go into the woods with bad weather with all the diffrent fire types, just to test wat method is the best for me personaly?
          Sorry for my poor English, doing my best!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBrokkema View Post
            Matches that are waterproof! I never heard about that. 5.50 euros for 10 pieces, I'm going to buy them to test it in my gardens to see how good the work and how good the flame will burn after beeing wet.

Maybe an idea to go into the woods with bad weather with all the diffrent fire types, just to test wat method is the best for me personaly?
            Sorry for my poor English, doing my best!
            Your English is good.

I don't know if these are available to you but they are the only matches I trust my life to in a survival situation. The things will actually burn under water and will light under any conditions. Just an FYI.

Dale

Comment

Making your own tinder is very easy, and inexpensive. Go to a Drug Store, you may call it a Pharmacy, and buy a bag of cotton balls, and a jar of petroleum jelly. Vaseline is a brand name. If you are married, and I am not trying to get personal, but your wife may already have them with her make-up. You just put some Vaseline on the cotton ball. It is a very effective fire starter.

You can also use Q-Tips; the ones you use to clean your ears. That is also a brand name. Dip the cotton end into Vaseline, and it will burn like a candle.

Your English is quite good. I hope this all translates for you. There are many things we take for granted, and we all understand. It might not be so easy for you. SUCCES!

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid, and make bad decisions.

Comment

dalewick thank you for this type of matches and brand. I wrote it down to search for it inside the netherlands! Burning underwater is incredable, rain would be no problem then :D

Morgan101 I read your steps and I totaly understand it. But how can I prepare this cottons and take them with me on a trip? Or do I need to take the cottons/vaseline / petroleum jelly with me? I'm not sure the power if the flame will be the same after 2 days in a bag?

Comment

John: Take your basic cotton balls, and dip them in the petroleum jelly. You can push the cotton ball into the jar with your finger, and scoop out a little petroleum jelly with it. Put the cotton ball into a small plastic bag that you can seal. Zip-Loc is a brand name. I'm sure you have something similar in the Netherlands; a small plastic sandwich bag; boterhamzak. You could also use a pill bottle: pillenfles. I hope these are the correct translations. Add these to your fire kit. I keep a fire kit in a water-proof bag: matches, lighter, kindling, candle, ferro rod, magnesium starter. Some people use small fishing boxes for their fire kit. Plastic, watertight, maybe 2" x 4" x 1". I don't remember the retail stores in the Netherlands, but a sporting goods store that has fishing supplies should have them.

If you use a jetflame the fuel will last for a fairly long time depending on use. Certainly, two days in a bag will not make a difference. It should last for some time if you are only lighting fires. Hope this helps.

Comment

go with BIC because you can buy them for less then $10.00 per dozen. A couple in the pack two more in pockets and you are set. Cheaper

Comment

disposable lighters are good and cheap but don't rely on just one thing for a spark or flame, spectacles or a magnifying glass can be use on a sunny day to get the tinder alight, but ultimately you will eventually when everything else is broken or used up you will have to resort to a steel striker and flint, maybe even a bow drill-personally I've never got the knack of doing it this way.

Comment

Having multiple methods for fire starting is always best. Don't forget that even when a disposable lighter is out of fuel it can still be used to make sparks. Not so with a butane lighter.

Comment

Working...
                        X