Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads up Carolina! Possible Winter Storm INCOMING!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Zombie Axe,

Fantastic pictures in the snow! To address Merle's concern, America will never be totally destroyed as long as its citizens produce great works such as this.

:)

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Zombie Axe; 03-06-2009, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    wouldn't it be nice if we werent reliant or SO reliant on power... sigh

Leave a comment:

• BARRACUDABILLY
    replied
    My list of things I missed during the recent power outage.

Number 1. A side burner for the grill or a camp stove.
    I had a coleman one but let someone borry it and it never came back.
    harbor freight has a nice two burner propane table top model. I will have one this week. it was taking up to one hour to boil water on the grille. I made a little cone to channel the heat to a area about 3" in dia and got the water to boil in 15-20 min. ( a 69 cuda head light bucket turned up side down) lesson learned here, I should have read the "can stove" thread in more detail a few months back.

Number 2. A corded phone. cordless phones are worthless with no power I have some 12v back up and could re-charge the cell phones. I done bought a cheep 5 dollar corded phone at family dollar.

Number 3. A tea kettle to heat and or boil water instead of a open pot.

Number 4. A winning power ball ticket.

Things that really came in handy,
    oil lamps, kerosene heater, a storm radio w/ am,fm,tv and weather, a 12v tv, a percolating coffee pot, several full propane tanks and wood for back up. stored up food, chain saw, fuel and bar oil. shovel.

And after paying a 340 dollar power bill last month I think I like life without power better. I am still working on the wife and daughter on this one.

Leave a comment:

• TheUnboundOne
    replied
    Snal,

You wrote:

This may or may not make sense, but we never make snow cream from the first day of snow, only the second or later. Mom always reminded us that the first day's snow gathered all of the polution from the air as it fell.
    Mom said it...so it has to be right. :)
    Not to cast aspersions on anybody's Momma, but if she knew all the filthy, nasty things kids put in their mouths, she would faint wondering how any of us lived to see the dawn of a new day.

:D

One pollutant you don't have to worry about in snow-cream is salt. The process of water evaporating into cloulds, then coming back to Earth as rain or snow, is nothing less than Mother Nature's desalinization plant. Thus, you won't dehydrate or have kidney fallure from eating snow-cream.

As for other pollutants, while they are possible, they are miniscule and equally are hazardous when breathed in, so you might as well enjoy your little bit of poison with cream, sugar, and vanilla flavoring. Maybe some Everclear and Grenadine Italian Ices will take care of microbes.

;)

As seldom as I and other Southerners get to eat snow-cream, I would say that snow-cream both passes and exceeds field tests for toxicity in plants. The snow hits my skin, but doesn't cause a rash or other reaction. It hits my lips, but still no reaction. I mix a bit with cream, sugar, and vanilla flavoring, but still no reaction except for pleased taste buds. And after eating snow-cream since age 5 and having many check-ups, I've never had an ailment that could be attributed to snow-cream.

Snow-Cream: The head-shaking, sighing, "whatever" dessert choice of Mothers everywhere!

:D

Leave a comment:

• Vicious Ignernt
    replied
    Originally posted by BARRACUDABILLY View Post
    I got 7-8 inches of snow and was with out power for over 50 hours BUT I want to give a big thank you to everyone on this board because we were perpaired, I took full atvantage of the situation and made a list of things we needed or missed but this was a good little test for us. thank you to everyone for making me think stock up and be ready.

BB
    Hey Billy, How about sharing that list? We all learn a little something with each experience. What little gem did you learn?

Leave a comment:

• BARRACUDABILLY
    replied
    I got 7-8 inches of snow and was with out power for over 50 hours BUT I want to give a big thank you to everyone on this board because we were perpaired, I took full atvantage of the situation and made a list of things we needed or missed but this was a good little test for us. thank you to everyone for making me think stock up and be ready.

BB

Leave a comment:

• Vicious Ignernt
    replied
    I was lucky to stay on the powwer line throughout. That was really a surprise considering how much the pine trees were bending due to the weight of the snow. I was surprised more people were not knocked off line.

Had only one incident really, the power glitched at my work site at the beginning of the storm and it set off the alarm. I had to drive out in the mess to reset the alarm. Glad I already had the snow tires on.

Years back, I went ahead and bought two extra rims and snow tires for the truck. That way each year, just a simple matter of changing out to snow tires each season. Plus the weight of the all season tires and rims in the back of the bed helps for stabilty and traction.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    After 36 hours the power was restored to our area.

Got tons of experience with the generator and even my wife is qualified to operate it. I changed the oil once as I had 12 hours of run time already. I change oil every 24 hours of run time and IMHO that is very important!

After the power went out 24 hours later I took a shower and my water heater still had hot water in it (I have it wrapped very well). That was nice.

Got several tips, tricks, lessons and pics I will write up this weekend along with a CX4 Storm review :) SO keep your eyes peeled for them...

Hope everyone is back on the grid :cool:

Leave a comment:

• prkchp76
    replied
    do you need help im in cola but can do some travel if you need it\

Leave a comment:

• Diesel
    replied
    we had 6 plus north of 150, been running emergency calls since last night.

tons of wrecks, cars in ditches, tons of broken limbs and down powerlines..

pulled a car out of a ditch, we went out and had to clear blocked road ways from trees, ran a bunch of wrecks, etc

no power still

just wanted to check in on you all

hope all is well

watch out, tonight may be worse, as we are getting a melt now, then a flash freeze down to 12 degrees tonight

bad ice tonight and tommorow morning

be safe

Leave a comment:

• snal
    replied
    This may or may not make sense, but we never make snow cream from the first day of snow, only the second or later. Mom always reminded us that the first day's snow gathered all of the polution from the air as it fell.
    Mom said it...so it has to be right. :)

Leave a comment:

• teach
    replied
    We got about 4 inches of snow and lost power from about 11 last night till 4:30 this morning.

Leave a comment:

• barkingowl
    replied
    Streets in my neighborhood have no snow on them. Most of my yard is snowless as well. Its pretty chilly outside. No loss of power or any other unpleasantness.

Leave a comment:

• Zombie Axe
    replied
    Originally posted by prkchp76 View Post
    i WANTFEET dang it break out the snow plows the chains and oooooooooCRAP I FERGOT BREAD MILK AND EGGS
    No survivalist French Toast for you ;)

1030 report:

Roads are wet but not anything frozen hard, just slush... Hopefully the roads will dry before night... With snow melting and a hard freeze expected tonight... I suspect the ride in tomorrow will be more difficult in places...

Stay safe...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X