Interested in 55 gal drums for water storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loshali
    • Dec 2008

Interested in 55 gal drums for water storage?

55 gallon plastic drums that had the flavored syrups in them. We got a bunch of these for Y2K from a cola distributor. Easily cleaned with a little bleach and a hose pipe. Would anyone be interested in purchasing them? Back then they were $5 each, not sure how much they'd be now, or even if we can get them.

My mom bought about 40, since we had a huge garden and only a well for a water source that sometimes ran dry in a very dry summer. I had about 10 at my house since it was just my son and me. Laid on its side, you can hook a garden hose to the barrel and have a little pressure for watering. We had hand pumps for some, and would just fill up 5 gallon buckets for flushing or bathing. A couple ounces of bleach per barrel keeps algae from growing inside the barrel. We adapted the downspouts from the roof guttering to fill them with rainwater.

We got these from the Coke distributor in Charlotte, but possibly they are available at other bottlers too, say in Raleigh or Fayetteville. If I find a few, would anyone be interested in them? Going to call around today.

Lo~
    Classic Southern defense: "But your Honor, he just NEEDED killin!
  • TLM
    • Dec 2008

Wow,
    Sounds great, but I don't have a truck or van.
    I do have one barrel in the garage and a few 5 gal containers in the house.

Great prep idea.

It's funny that you posted this, one of the ladies in our customer service
    just got a call from her daughter (who is a grown woman), saying that her pipes burst and repairmen were coming later in the day but she didn't have any water.... duh. Not even a drop to drink.

Are you freakin kidding me??
    I went and got mom a gallon container of water so she could take it to her daughter...

In a SHTF situation she would have been in trouble pretty quick.

God's Peace
    TLM

Comment

• cudalyon
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Loshali View Post
      55 gallon plastic drums that had the flavored syrups in them. We got a bunch of these for Y2K from a cola distributor. Easily cleaned with a little bleach and a hose pipe. Would anyone be interested in purchasing them? Back then they were $5 each, not sure how much they'd be now, or even if we can get them.

My mom bought about 40, since we had a huge garden and only a well for a water source that sometimes ran dry in a very dry summer. I had about 10 at my house since it was just my son and me. Laid on its side, you can hook a garden hose to the barrel and have a little pressure for watering. We had hand pumps for some, and would just fill up 5 gallon buckets for flushing or bathing. A couple ounces of bleach per barrel keeps algae from growing inside the barrel. We adapted the downspouts from the roof guttering to fill them with rainwater.

We got these from the Coke distributor in Charlotte, but possibly they are available at other bottlers too, say in Raleigh or Fayetteville. If I find a few, would anyone be interested in them? Going to call around today.

Lo~

I am just glad to see someone else call it a hose pipe. You get some of these folks outside of the Carolinas, and they have never heard that phrase before. For those of you else where, she is refering to the "Garden Hose" as you call it.
      ~Lyon~

Comment

• Loshali
        • Dec 2008

Kuntry Bumpkin

Oh man, I didnt even catch that! I bet you've never heard of 'kick cables' either. Thats what you kick off a car with, more commonly known as 'jumper cables'. And strow. As in, 'he strowed the seeds across the tilled soil'... That one is in the bible!!!

Comment

• cudalyon
          • Dec 2008

Oh man, I didnt even catch that! I bet you've never heard of 'kick cables' either. Thats what you kick off a car with, more commonly known as 'jumper cables'. And strow. As in, 'he strowed the seeds across the tilled soil'... That one is in the bible!!!
          I am with you! I grew up in Walhalla SC. Bout as Hick as it gets!
          ~Lyon~

Comment

• Loshali
            • Dec 2008

Hick

Lyon, I remember way back when, we'd get the spartanburg/greenville channel on tv. Yes, one of three channels! There was some car dealership advertisement with a big goofy blonde that had a HUGE amount of curly messy bleach blonde hair, and she'd say 'come see us at so-n-so's car dealership in Wawwwww hawwwwla'. I cant help but think of how she said it every time I see the name, lol...

Comment

• snal
              MIA
              • Dec 2008

I'd be very interested...especially if they are in the Asheville area.

Comment

• cudalyon
                • Dec 2008

Lyon, I remember way back when, we'd get the spartanburg/greenville channel on tv. Yes, one of three channels! There was some car dealership advertisement with a big goofy blonde that had a HUGE amount of curly messy bleach blonde hair, and she'd say 'come see us at so-n-so's car dealership in Wawwwww hawwwwla'. I cant help but think of how she said it every time I see the name, lol...
                LOL.....That was Bobby Woods! He still has the same big poofy hair kinda like Donald Trump, but more poofy!

Bobby Wood's Chevrolet
                ~Lyon~

Comment

• Loshali
                  • Dec 2008

barrels

I just got hold of the bottler in Charlotte. THats the only bottler in the Carolinas, there is one in Chattannooga and Atlanta. Unfortunately some will have to drive a little ways to pick them up. The barrels are $10 each. He ddnt have any now because they used them for recycle bins at the inauguration. They have lots of uses apparently. I bet they'd store grain and feed pretty easily, too. I'll check back and find out when we can get them, probably end of February or early March. Let me know if youre interested and how many.

Lo~

Comment

• cudalyon
                    • Dec 2008

I just got hold of the bottler in Charlotte. THats the only bottler in the Carolinas, there is one in Chattannooga and Atlanta. Unfortunately some will have to drive a little ways to pick them up. The barrels are $10 each. He ddnt have any now because they used them for recycle bins at the inauguration. They have lots of uses apparently. I bet they'd store grain and feed pretty easily, too. I'll check back and find out when we can get them, probably end of February or early March. Let me know if youre interested and how many.

Lo~
                    I am interested as well. I guess it depends on how many you can get.
                    ~Lyon~

Comment

• TLM
                      • Dec 2008

I always thought is was pronounced wall-holler :p

Comment

• Loshali
                        • Dec 2008

I told him that if I couldnt get enough for a trailer load at once (I think we had at least a dozen on a trailer, laid on their sides and stacked pyramid style, 5, then 4 then 3 per layer) then we'd take a pickup load if possible. I think we had 5 or 6 on a Nissan pickup. It may be that we'll just have to pick them up one truckload at a time to get them as he has them available.

How many would you want? When I get started on the log cabin, I think I'll get 6 or 10 of them and hold off on digging the well for a little bit. That way I can get the cabin habitable sooner and dig the well later.

Lo~

Comment

• tony
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2009

I would be interested in four barrels.

Comment

• cudalyon
                            • Dec 2008

4 will work for me as well.
                            ~Lyon~

Comment

• snal