Lost or Misplaced Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost or Misplaced Gear

Sooner or later we all misplace or just simply lose things, and that is especially bad news if it's something you paid good money for or is of importance.

Take the time to pick up some bright 550 cord or other bright cord and attach it to items that are not something you can afford to lose. It can also be used for pull cords on certain zippers or tent stakes.

I couldn't honestly tell you how many times I have laid something on the forest floor and almost left it behind or actually did leave it behind.

Some cords out there even have a reflective aspect to them.

KNIVES (HANDSAW)
    GPS
    COMPASS
    FLASHLIGHT
    TENT STAKES
    LABELING KITS (1ST AID, FIRE)
    ZIPPER PULLS
    SIGNAL MIRRORS
    WHISTLE
    MARKING A TRAIL IF LOST FOR BACKTRACKING

I dont buy paracord, the Mr does that. I stumbled across this today, maybe a bargain?? Thought Id forward...:)
    http://www.campingsurvival.com/pa55ny100ftc6.html
    If the zombies chase us, Im tripping you!!!

Comment

I have a lot of dark colored and camo gear. That over time has been lost. I started putting reflective tape on high dollar stuff. Like GPS, binoculars, etc etc, now stuff that is visable on my person I haven't done any marking on it.

Comment

For the life of me I can't remember where I got it....but I have some cord with a strand of "glow on the dark" braided into it....blue and yellow other wise.

NVDs will find it fairly easily....:)
        Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1302545...=263602_309572
          Live like you'll die tomorrow, learn like you'll live forever.

Comment

This is all well and good .... less ya got Gremlins. I keep EVERYTHING in it's proper place but sure enough I go to get something and it's GONE. I look high and low .... gone. Then I move on to some other project but the necessary tool for it is often again GONE. While looking for IT I usually find the item I was seeking previously out in plain site .... NOWAY I coulda missed that .... I'll try the para cord, maybe the bright colors will frighten the Gremlins away.

O.W.
            Things are seldom what they seem.

Comment

This is a good solid idea.

I "rarely" loose gear, it is just too important to me. Trained to always do a triple check and once over of the area before moving out. I try to only unpack what I am useing or need at that time. Packing the same way everytime also helps along with a dose of OCD.

A buddy swears by neon yellow 550 cord but since I bought orange thats what I go with. I've corded various items and even changed out some manufacturers cords.

Harsh side is, if I loose my kit or gear then I ****ed up and the shame is on me. I would rather break gear or even forget it at home than loose it. It's like one of the ultimate backcountry sins. I still haven't forgiven myself for setting down a pair of Nomex Aviators gloves and walking away from them 12 years ago while on a Navigation Course. (Albiet I was hopped up on Percoset & Vicodin for a back injury. Yes I passed, found all my points then curled up next to a road and waited for a duece.)

Well, for me, the action is the juice.....I'm in.

Comment

Working...
              X