No announcement yet.

gas mask

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start? Don't buy any M17A1 military gas masks because the filters cannot be changed in under 10 minutes. They are built into the mask. Find a civilian mask used in industry, they cost about 150-200 but we are talking about you staying alive here. Make sure they use the 40mm threaded filters.

Also nice to have is a voice box and a double filter location below the face plate. Then purchase the NATO 40 mm threaded filters. or the civilian type. A tyvex suit with built in boots and hood (used for painting) will do for most activities.

To find the right size you should be fit tested. This included a banana oil test.

Keep the filters in their packages. If used keep a log on time used because not only do filters have a "Used by date" but also a "Maximum amount of time". If you have purchased a good number of filters, buy a training filter for practice. You will find it is much harder to shoot with a mask on!!!!

Comment

Something to check into. Has anyone else bought these mask? Be nice to know which ones would be the best if ever needed. Rich your info is very helpful. But I don't think at this time I would want to purchase these. This is something that I would be watching the news and then making that decision based on what is happening in the world.

Comment

IMHO, a more likely 'masking' scenario than CBW armageddon is extensive 'natural' fall-out from vast wild-fires or a Cascade volcano.

I'll not say 'don't get bio-filters', that would be so silly, but look how long the Cal fire burned, how far the complex plume carried.

And remember how Mt St. Helens dumped on the neighbours. At that, the US was lucky. Had that lateral blast not occurred and all the stuff gone *up*, there'd have been, IIRC, significant ash-fall all the way to the East Coast...

A reminder of what even a small volcanic eruption can do with wind and water: look at the Hawaii fallout, with its toxic ash, intensely acid Vug smog and lung-slicing glass filaments...
        https://geology.com/volcanoes/kilauea/

While stocking up on mask filters, remember to get spares for your car, generator, water etc...

Comment

"... I have the Israeli civilian with a 40 mm filter...." That is the problem it is a civilian mask you cannot shoot with any accuracy unless you use a military model. Look on EBay for a M-40, M-9, or others which take the 40 mm screw on filter DO NOT BUY the following:

1. M17A1 because it will take you an 1/2 hour to replace the filters and none have been made in 40+ years.

2. Any soviet mask.

3. Any gas mask that does not take a 40 mm filter!

There are some used in manufacturing that are very good (SCOTT) comes to mind. It will cost you some serious money $200.00 + but is your health important to you?

Comment

Just seen this on filtering volcanic stuff...

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-indust...-exposure.html

My selected quotes. Refer to free article for full context:
            -
            Industry-certified particle masks are most effective at protecting people from volcanic ash, whilst commonly used surgical masks offer less protection.
            -
            The research study was designed to understand how both the filtration efficiency (FE) of mask materials, and the facial fit of a mask, could impact on the effectiveness of protection, as well as how users perceived the different types of protection they were testing.

In the study, the FE of 17 commonly used forms of respiratory protection was tested using samples of volcanic ash taken from eruption sites. The industry-certified masks, a mask marketed as being effective at blocking fine particles known as PM2.5, and a very basic mask from Indonesia achieved FE approaching 100 per cent. Surgical masks had FEs of around 90 percent.
            -
            Whilst the industry-certified N95 masks achieve a Total Inward Leakage (TIL) of less than 10 per cent, surgical masks, which are commonly distributed during volcanic ashfall, had a TIL of 35 per cent due to their poor facial fit. The TIL of surgical masks improved to 24 per cent by tying a bandage over the top, but this affected perceptions of comfort and breathability for the wearer.

Comment

Working...
            X