Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of a good bag. Probably going with a MOLLE or and ALICE pack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longhunter
    replied
    I found the ALICE large to be a bit to big so I went with the medium for a long time and have it on the Azora Pack Mule frame. I never did like the way the pockets were secured so have always kept my eyes open. I saw the Recon Ruck from Spec Ops Brand at a gun show and decided to get one. At $114 on the website (I got mine for $90) it's definitely not the cheapest but does come with their lifetime guarantee and can say from past experience they stand behind their products. It is compatible with the ALICE, MOLLE and Azora frames but also has a full length closed cell foam pad in the back for using without a frame if you wish. Here's the details from the website:

SpecOpsbrand.com

Overall Dimensions:
    17.5" high, 14" wide x 6.5" thick.
    Main Compartment:
    17.5" high x 14" wide x 6.5" thick @ 1,592.5 cubic inches.
    Additional Pockets - 3 ea.:
    11" high x 6" wide x 3.5" thick @ 231 cubic inches.
    Total Capacity:
    2,285.5 cubic inches.

Features & Benefits: Ruck capacity and organization with Assault pack comfort, versatility and durability. Constructed from1000D. Cordura® Nylon fabric. Removable, super comfortable and functional MTX shoulder harness system. Quick release buckle closures on pockets with on/off hook and loop redundant back-up closure. High tensile Nylon web used throughout. Accessory gear loops on bottom. Will accept standard issue LCII. Designed to be worn "Assault Pack" style, but can fit standard ruck frame. Removable 2" waist belt with "ENDLESS" adjustment - no flapping straps! 100% Made in the USA. Guaranteed for life.

I'm going to transfer from the old ruck to this one today and take it on a field trip next weekend to try it out. I'll post a review and some pics afterwards...

Leave a comment:

• drt4lfe
    replied
    Alice bags are tough and cheap....but get a waterproof liner...finding a decent waterproof backpack that fits your needs is tough.....use smaller waterproof bags to keep stuff dry and easy to get to.....wet gear is no fun.....

Leave a comment:

• RatLife
    replied
    My main BOB is a large alice rucksack with frame I also have a camel back. Pretty tough bag. Carried it around Iraq and it worked well and is still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• Big Guy
    replied
    I have a small day pack for my wife, I use an old two strap Army Duffel. I also use an "Old school" LBE to carry my water, magazines and a few other items. I like to keep it simple.

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoMike
    replied
    My team used the Camelbak BFM in the desert.....worth the extra bucks....not an issue item of course..we purchased through US CAV, I bet cheaper than dirt carries as well. I think our ran us about 75-80 bucks or so. I also have a couple multicam assault packs that have the 100oz bladders built in....so many options there now a days.....hunting for them is the fun part! Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• mallorian
    replied
    My main Bob is a code alpha 3 day hydration bag. Comes with a 100oz hydration bladder and holds way more than 3 days worth of food, clothes, and supplies. I bought it new from us calvary for 80bucks. It is much better then the molle medium both in quality and comfort, not to mention storage.

Leave a comment:

• TNap
    replied
    I was thinking of going with the Duluth Pathfinder Pack ($200)...seems well made but reading about these Alice/Molle packs has opened my eyes. Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• Griptilian
    replied
    I use a Alps Mtn. pack.(Denali) Its rated @ 5500 cu. It holds a ton of stuff with lots of side compartments & straps on the back. Recommend it highly.

Leave a comment:

• Apocalyptic_Sojourner
    replied
    Originally posted by laoma View Post
    Has anybody body tried a "camelback" they have some really nice gear there , I had 2 ALICE packs and they are OK, but I find the on mine that the enclosures for compartments seem very sloppy, if I rolled down a hill...by the time I reached the bottom, much of my smaller gear in the bag would most likely work it's way out, the camelback I purchased was a little pricey at $178.00, but is nothing but quality, it came with it's own hydration bladder, I have nothing but good things to say about it....I will buy one for the wife and stepdaughter know.
    Laoma, I used the CamelBak BFM in Afghanistan. They are a little pricey, but it performed really well, and it's very durable. The thing is pretty huge too. You could definitely make a nice BOB out of it, but I don't know whether the price really justifies it over some of the USGI surplus packs out there.

Leave a comment:

• MasterMynd
    replied
    Ordered this today: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE402-1.html for everyday carry along with a few selected Molle accessory containers that I can swap back and forth between my 2 main packs depending on which one I am bringing along. Everyday carry really is subject ease of use, efficiency, and comfort. If the pack you have is bulky, or otherwise just attracts attention like you are about to be deployed on a long term mission or something, it will keep you from bringing it where it might be most needed and it does you no good sitting at home when you're across town. A good pack, just like your concealed weapon, has to to be comfortable, have options (speaking of, the sling pack I ordered has a "hidden" pistol pocket), yet "blend in" so to speak. Be covert. You don't want anything too big, but you do want adequate storage and organizational versatility.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE016-1.html My current med kit is bursting at the seams so I am hoping that this new container will relieve some space issues. I'll post pics as soon as I get it and it's organized correctly. It's gear that I like to have on hand all the time. From experience I know that the unexpected happens unexpectedly and fast so you have to be ready in advance...
    Last edited by MasterMynd; 04-15-2010, 01:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MasterMynd
    replied
    I have one of the big Camelbak BFM military style rucks that I use as my ready bag (BOB) and I love it. It holds everything I need, but for everyday carry it is a bit much, although I keep enough gear, clothing, and foodstuffs in it to run to the woods and survive for several days and there's still room for odds n ends.
    Ive been looking on CheaperThanDirt.com and they have awesome prices on all types of Molle packs and have great prices. I'm picking up their Molle-402 sling bag for an everyday ready pack that I can carry into work without looking like I'm about to go on a week-long mission LOL! I'm getting some added Molle pouches too since they're so cheap and then I can organize and just swap em back and forth depending on which pack I'm carrying that day. This is what I would recommend if your looking to be fast and ready but have adequate organizational options. Several of their Molle packs actually have hidden dedicated pistol deep concealment pockets as well which for me is a huge plus since I go nowhere unarmed, but sometimes cannot afford to have my pistol be spotted errantly. You know how the sheeple can get when they see a gun :/
    You never know when a situation may occur, but when it does it happens fast and if you're not prepared in advance you're just screwed!

Leave a comment:

• JackAysJake
    replied
    Well that surplus store I bought the bag from has another pack for $150. It is similar to the 3 day assualt, but much larger. It has a plastic frame and is very comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• laoma
    replied
    Has anybody body tried a "camelback" they have some really nice gear there , I had 2 ALICE packs and they are OK, but I find the on mine that the enclosures for compartments seem very sloppy, if I rolled down a hill...by the time I reached the bottom, much of my smaller gear in the bag would most likely work it's way out, the camelback I purchased was a little pricey at $178.00, but is nothing but quality, it came with it's own hydration bladder, I have nothing but good things to say about it....I will buy one for the wife and stepdaughter know.

Leave a comment:

• slowz1k
    replied
    You could use just about any bladder you wanted. Just depends on how much you want to carry. REI has a bunch to choose from, but I know you can find them cheaper if you shop around.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500603

Leave a comment:

• JackAysJake
    replied
    Slow: Yes, that is the exact pack I have. Im very happy with it even though I havent used it yet. The big question I have is what hydration can you put in there? I searched, but Im not sure what one goes in there exactly.

Hubste5: Your ok, thats what this site is for. I picked up my pack which is the one shown for $40. It is in very good shape. Now I cant remember exactly how much the medium Alice was at the army surplus store, but Im pretty sure the frames were $12 -$20. I see your in NC. Where? Any good surplus stores around you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X