Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're shopping for body armor...

Here's some things you should know....

"I Have Sworn Upon the Altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." -Frederic Bastiat

Very nice illustration and info. Thanks for the post.

Comment

I'm just now getting around to the body armor part of my SHTF knowledge; This chart is to gauge what level of armor you should be looking at according to what type of firearm you expect you might be up against? Wouldn't the level of armor capable of stopping the 12 ga. slug at position 40 be considered the maximum amount of armor vs. just about any type of rounds fired into the armor?

Comment

BIG_SAW- Great post and I really like the visual. Hope you don’t mind that I “close the loop” so to speak, on your circle of fire by adding Level III and Level IV information; these are the only types that I have personally used and I would never use one lower. III & IV are the only ones that will provide protection from rifle fire (5.56, 7.62 & armor piercing). Level III and IV are in use by all law enforcement special tactical teams; regular LE does not wear above IIIA as this is the highest level that is concealable. Level IV is what our military uses; although there is still some level III out there.

Type III (Rifles). This armor protects against (up to) 7.62mm full metal jacketed (FMJ) bullets (U.S. military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.6 g (148 gr), impacting at a minimum velocity of 838 m/s (2750 ft/s) or less. It also provides protection against Type I through III-A threats. This is minimum acceptable level of protection against 5.56mm (.223) and 7.62 x 39.

Type IV (Armor Piercing Rifle). This armor protects against (up to) .30 caliber armor piercing (AP) bullets (U.S. military designation M2 AP), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr), impacting at a minimum velocity of 869 m/s (2850 ft/s) or less. It also provides at least single-hit protection against the Type I through III threats. Type IV body armor provides the highest level of protection currently available. Because this armor is intended to resist “armor piercing” bullets, it often uses ceramic materials. Such materials are brittle in nature and may provide only single-shot protection, since the ceramic tends to break up when struck.

RLTW!!
        LH

Comment

Originally posted by NRS_NoSFeRaTu View Post
          I'm just now getting around to the body armor part of my SHTF knowledge; This chart is to gauge what level of armor you should be looking at according to what type of firearm you expect you might be up against? Wouldn't the level of armor capable of stopping the 12 ga. slug at position 40 be considered the maximum amount of armor vs. just about any type of rounds fired into the armor?
          No. You want at least Level III and it is not cheap.

RLTW!!
          LH

Comment

Working...
          X